By austrotard
I'll bet you throw buckets of confetti and squirt folk with flower brooches.

dude, if you did anything worthwhile away from this fucking forum we would know all about it... just like we know you do fuck all away from this forum now.

dumb ass.
By pbrstreetgang
cantfishforshit wrote:
pbrstreetgang wrote:
cantfishforshit wrote:Not paying over time is not limited to the McDonald's corporation and is fairly common for low skilled workers.
To me this says "Get motivated to do and be something better."

And I agree, generally speaking, but there are many, many people that are not capable of doing more than trying to becoming shift leader at McDonalds, or Subway etc. Hell, many of them aren't capable of doing that. I work with over 150 minimum wage workers. Out of them, I would say that maybe 30-40 are capable of doing more...at the most. I had one lady last night the could not grasp a simple two step task that was new to her. I hat to literally show her 4 times and she finally got it. Not everyone is capable of doing more and if they were, who would sell us our burgers, or clean our restrooms etc? Life doesn't work that way. Not everyone can do better than where they are. Yes, she could have moved on and did, but afterward she decided to speak out about an injustice that, from what I've seen, is not uncommon.
Exactly - the world needs ditch diggers. And mop pushers, toilet washers, etc. But that does not mean they deserve what a Network Engineer makes, or a Bank branch manager makes, or so on and so on. People who invest significantly in their education, skill sets, or anything else that gives them a "value" in the working world DO deserve more as far as pay. I do feel slightly compelled to say that the corporations that employ low cost workers (most fast food chains, wally world, some Unions) should re-evaluate the profits versus worker compensation. And if said owners want to help the community, consider paying workers more instead of building a new lab on campus, or a museum. Priorities are fucking messed up, in my opinion, in that regard. (I know, this is somewhat off-topic)
And as far as injustices - what are those? Having to work beyond a 40hr week without overtime? Did they sign into a work agreement that says they accept those terms of employment? Or were they forced into the job?
Sometimes it is absolutely ok to not take a job that in the end you choose to speak out about its injustices. Again, that type of behavior may relate back to a few different metrics - but in the end, if they knew the circumstance and accepted the job, so be it.

I worked over 70hrs this week, and have another 65+ logged next week, and that is outside my regular duties. I am supporting my family wholly, and I read my contract and agreed to it upon my employment. I also now have higher health insurance co-pays and overall costs around dental/vision/medical because the industry in general feels it is ok. And I accept that for now. Mostly because I had very little say in the matter - it was pretty much decided for me.
And because of my wage level, my arguments are pretty much considered moot - and I would agree. Because I agreed to them.

I can't feel empathy for people who accept jobs and know the terms and then whine about it. Ever. Which brings me back to my original statement:
"Get motivated to do and be something better."
By cantfishforshit
austrotard wrote:I'll bet you throw buckets of confetti and squirt folk with flower brooches.

dude, if you did anything worthwhile away from this fucking forum we would know all about it... just like we know you do fuck all away from this forum now.

dumb ass.

Fuck off, Mitch. You don't know anything about me but what you think you know.
By cantfishforshit
Exactly - the world needs ditch diggers. And mop pushers, toilet washers, etc. But that does not mean they deserve what a Network Engineer makes, or a Bank branch manager makes, or so on and so on. People who invest significantly in their education, skill sets, or anything else that gives them a "value" in the working world DO deserve more as far as pay. I do feel slightly compelled to say that the corporations that employ low cost workers (most fast food chains, wally world, some Unions) should re-evaluate the profits versus worker compensation. And if said owners want to help the community, consider paying workers more instead of building a new lab on campus, or a museum. Priorities are fucking messed up, in my opinion, in that regard. (I know, this is somewhat off-topic)
And as far as injustices - what are those? Having to work beyond a 40hr week without overtime? Did they sign into a work agreement that says they accept those terms of employment? Or were they forced into the job?
Sometimes it is absolutely ok to not take a job that in the end you choose to speak out about its injustices. Again, that type of behavior may relate back to a few different metrics - but in the end, if they knew the circumstance and accepted the job, so be it.

I worked over 70hrs this week, and have another 65+ logged next week, and that is outside my regular duties. I am supporting my family wholly, and I read my contract and agreed to it upon my employment. I also now have higher health insurance co-pays and overall costs around dental/vision/medical because the industry in general feels it is ok. And I accept that for now. Mostly because I had very little say in the matter - it was pretty much decided for me.
And because of my wage level, my arguments are pretty much considered moot - and I would agree. Because I agreed to them.

I can't feel empathy for people who accept jobs and know the terms and then whine about it. Ever. Which brings me back to my original statement:
"Get motivated to do and be something better

I never said that she should make what an engineer should make, only that she should be paid what the law stipulates. No hourly worker can agree to work without overtime. It's illegal. I highly doubt she went to work for McDonalds and knew she would work overtime without proper compensation. No manager in their right mind would say in an interview "We don't pay overtime" because it's illegal. She wasn't forced into a job. She took a job that she thought would abide by the law. Got into it and realized that they wouldn't and as I mentioned before, many don't have a choice. I know people right now that would love to find a job...any job that pays more than minimum wage and can't. I get your overall point and agree with it to an extent, but I feel like you have never been in this situation and therefore have a lack of empathy for those that are. Again, at times in life, there are no other choices for some people. That's just the way it works for many. Maybe not for you or me, but for many it is.
By austrotard
cantfishforshit wrote:

you're right. and I think I know you're an dumb ass.

I find it quite fitting that you choose to fight for a cause you cannot change... saves you from doing anything worthwhile under the guise of crusader.

only problem is... you've been sussed. again, on a fly fishing forum.

dumb ass.
let's see you do something real.
By pbrstreetgang
cantfishforshit wrote:but I feel like you have never been in this situation and therefore have a lack of empathy for those that are.
as long as you just feel that way, because I have been working since I was fourteen years old for the things I have wanted and needed.
By cantfishforshit
pbrstreetgang wrote:
cantfishforshit wrote:but I feel like you have never been in this situation and therefore have a lack of empathy for those that are.
as long as you just feel that way, because I have been working since I was fourteen years old for the things I have wanted and needed.

I have too, but I've never been so dumb that I couldn't better myself...I can't say that for others.
By cantfishforshit
austrotard wrote:
cantfishforshit wrote:

you're right. and I think I know you're an dumb ass.

I find it quite fitting that you choose to fight for a cause you cannot change... saves you from doing anything worthwhile under the guise of crusader.

only problem is... you've been sussed. again, on a fly fishing forum.

dumb ass.
let's see you do something real.

I have and continue to do "something real." What have you done? Worry about yourself and not what I'm doing, dickhead.
By austrotard
you're a liar, mate.
you don't do one fucking thing to better the lives of the folk you deem less fortunate than you.
for if you did... we would know all about it.
but you don't.

you know it. I know it. we know it.

and you type complete nonsense.

but please, carry on.
By cantfishforshit
austrotard wrote:you're a liar, mate.
you don't do one fucking thing to better the lives of the folk you deem less fortunate than you.
for if you did... we would know all about it.
but you don't.

you know it. I know it. we know it.

and you type complete nonsense.

but please, carry on.

Ok, Mitch.
By SOBF
I have too, but I've never been so dumb that I couldn't better myself...I can't say that for others.
Speaking of dumb. That is a fucking ridiculous statement. I know plenty of folks who aren't Mensa members (myself included) that work their asses off and make a fine living. Bettering yourself doesn't involve just brain power.
That comment speaks volumes about you. DOLT
By gadflyfisher
SOBF wrote:
Yeah...he didn't go out and run the shit outta someone at low wages with no bennies...nice try though.
Two people bitching about what they make and how they're treated from an employer of many thousands. Rock solid proof McD's is a bad place. I work for an employer of 5000 ish and could find 2 people to piss and moan about what they make and how they're treated.
The bonus system at my place of employment favors salaried workers. Is it fair ? Life is not not fair. If I don't like it I can find a job with a different company. Someday working at McD's is likely low paid so there are other job opportunities available. Go work at Subway,Taco Bell,Burger King, or a grocery store. I'm sure they are just as evil though.
OK I'm not going back and read this whole shitpile but weren't the people in the vid claiming they were made to change timesheets, cheating others out of earned overtime pay and not whining about their own situations?

Wouldn't that be totally illegal?
I doubt anyone has ever signed a contract letting their employ change their timesheet.

Edit... somehow I had a 9 after the I in the last sentence.
Last edited by gadflyfisher on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Cheer Through Pics

If youve any water left by July that is... Th[…]

Reads

Glad you're enjoying it Obie. I owe Tom a big th[…]

Brood X

damn i guess its been 17 yeqrs since i went back t[…]

whatcha tying?

A little smalljaw treat. 20210118_161823.jpg

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine