The times they are a'changing.

jdub

The times they are a'changing.

Post by jdub » Tue May 06, 2014 12:19 pm

The new Congressional-mandated Climate Change report is out. Lotta heavy lifting sifting through it all. The southeast section looks like it is going to get hit hard with sea level change, increased temps, increased weather intensity, etc.etc.
Many independent lines of evidence demonstrate that the world is warming and that human activity is the primary cause. Other changes flow from this warming, including melting of snow and ice, rising sea level, and increases in some types of extreme weather, such as extreme heat and heavy downpours. How much climate change we will experience in the future depends largely on the global emissions pathway, as demonstrated in this chapter.
http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/report/ ... /southeast
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/

Plow

Re: The times they are a'changing.

Post by Plow » Tue May 06, 2014 9:59 pm

Its warmed up 10 to 20 degrees just since January, this report might be too late to stop the destruction.

Anyway, I see we have the usual government attention to detail. We can only hope San Francisco won't be swallowed by the sea.
SouthEast.jpg
SouthEast.jpg (25.24 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Last edited by Plow on Wed May 07, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Reds than dead...

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Wed May 07, 2014 5:41 am

Now you're talking.

Redfish in Orlando. Family trip to see the money rat and we'll be able to squeeze in a day or two going after the drum .

Rekon how long before the peacock bass show up in Aintry?
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 pm

This shit needs to speed up. Snowed this morning... In gonna go burn some fucking tires.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Wed May 07, 2014 2:24 pm

thanks for the chuckle spud.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

jdub

Post by jdub » Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 pm

First year we had moved out west, we tried to grow tomatoes. No way, froze out and the replacements didn't do crap. Second year, same thing. Third year, my wife was informed by a neighbor that you just cant grow tomatoes in our neighborhood.

Fast forward, twenty years later, two years running, we have more tomatoes than we can eat. At 5,500ft, global warming is defined by the ability to eat your own grow. Good thing for us, but the floods in KW, not so good.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/florida- ... level-rise
A tidal gauge operating since before the Civil War has documented a sea level rise of 9 inches in the last century, and officials expect that to double over the next 50 years. So when building a new Stock Island fire station, county authorities went ahead added a foot and a half over federal flood planning directives that the ground floor be built up 9 feet.
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/

LTD

Post by LTD » Wed May 07, 2014 3:43 pm

jdub wrote:First year we had moved out west, we tried to grow tomatoes. No way, froze out and the replacements didn't do crap. Second year, same thing. Third year, my wife was informed by a neighbor that you just cant grow tomatoes in our neighborhood.

Fast forward, twenty years later, two years running, we have more tomatoes than we can eat. At 5,500ft, global warming is defined by the ability to eat your own grow. Good thing for us, but the floods in KW, not so good.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/florida- ... level-rise
A tidal gauge operating since before the Civil War has documented a sea level rise of 9 inches in the last century, and officials expect that to double over the next 50 years. So when building a new Stock Island fire station, county authorities went ahead added a foot and a half over federal flood planning directives that the ground floor be built up 9 feet.
We don't need Duval street.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Plow

Post by Plow » Wed May 07, 2014 3:55 pm

LTD wrote:We don't need Duval street.
Twice a day flooding would do wonders redistributing the piss in a more equable manner.
Better Reds than dead...

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Thu May 08, 2014 8:25 am

I almost bought a Chevy Volt on Saturday. I thought I'd do my part to help reduce emissions. The (alleged) federal and state tax rebates made for a pretty sweet package.

I would have but for the fact that no one could give me a straight answer on the $11,000 in tax rebates, so I bought a Mini Cooper instead, with food stamps, of course.

If programs like this one are to be our salvation I'd suggest everyone start shopping around for used boats.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Thu May 08, 2014 2:02 pm

did you buy a new or used mini? what's the mpg?

I'm driving an hour to an hour and a half each way these days in an FJ, so looking at getting a little econobox for the commute. The used mini's don't look like they cost a lot.
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Thu May 08, 2014 6:35 pm

befuddled wrote:did you buy a new or used mini? what's the mpg?

I'm driving an hour to an hour and a half each way these days in an FJ, so looking at getting a little econobox for the commute. The used mini's don't look like they cost a lot.
I went used - got a 2010 Clubman S with 8,500 miles, loaded.
That little fuckin 1.4 turbo will hang with damn near anything on the road and it gets 37 on the highway according to the sticker. I've burned up one tank now and got just under 450 miles on just under 14 gals. 32mpg actual on a mix of 2/3 city1/3 highway ain't bad considering I've been driving it like I stole it.

I very nearly went for a 2012 countryman all4 - that's the all wheel drive 4 door, but in the end the clubman was too good a deal. There were some screaming deals to be had on the off lease pre owned stock, around $25k for a nicely appointed countryman awd with around. 20,000 mi, and plenty to choose from. They're really well made, a blast to drive and cheap as shit to operate.

Do it.

Then we'll race.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri May 09, 2014 10:29 am

slavetotheflyrod wrote:I very nearly went for a 2012 countryman all4 - that's the all wheel drive 4 door, but in the end the clubman was too good a deal.
I drive past and admire one that looks like this daily-

The base motor for them is f'n sad though.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.