something to think about and discuss

canook

Re: something to think about and discuss

Post by canook » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Muddled Duck wrote:
I read it to the end, brah. Obviously you didn't bother to even read the main text of mine since you actually promoted the Aussie deal.
I read it and then checked the source material.

Written by faux news columnist John Lott who references links from The Crime prevention Research Center, who's founder and president is none other than John Lott.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:19 pm

canook wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:
I read it to the end, brah. Obviously you didn't bother to even read the main text of mine since you actually promoted the Aussie deal.
I read it and then checked the source material.

Written by faux news columnist John Lott who references links from The Crime prevention Research Center, who's founder and president is none other than John Lott.
Do you have any facts to refute it, or does it just not jive with your world view?
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

canook

Post by canook » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 pm

'Some results indicate' passed off as 'fact' requires refuting? That's nothing more than conjecture.

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 pm

canook wrote:'Some results indicate' passed off as 'fact' requires refuting? That's nothing more than conjecture.
Umm no. Read it in the context that it was intended. This fucking guy researched something that a lot of people often wonder about and provided some answers. Go ahead and refute.....if you can.
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

canook

Post by canook » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:05 am

Seriously???? A Fox News POLL (not a scientific study - an OPINION poll) finds Obama has a low-approval rating on gun control is used as a FACT that Americans don't want more gun control.
http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.or ... rly-wrong/

Same goes for a POLL conducted by the national Shooting Sports Foundations (dead link...hmmm) whose results show stricter background checks at gun shows aren't necessary.

Opinion Polls are now FACTS that need to be refuted?

Ask Eric Cantor if he believes in the accuracy of polls and if he would consider them as FACTS.

canook

Post by canook » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 am

Upsetter wrote:Very notable study...

This study can be downloaded and read in full at this link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... _id=272929
Notable in that it was also written by FoxNews columnist/gun advocate John Lott.

I'm seeing a pattern here...

edit

also notable:
The study's author seems to disagree with your assertion of it being CNN's fault.

Finally, the data provides no evidence of substitution from
shootings to bombings and little consistent evidence of “copycat” effects.
Last edited by canook on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:34 am

canook wrote:
Ask Eric Cantor if he believes in the accuracy of polls and if he would consider them as FACTS.
My dog am I glad that tool is gone… though I'm afraid we may all be worse off with the guy that replaced him. Or I expect will based on the district.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:01 am

i had just read that public displays of nudity attract more attention in certain infested cities than shootings.
maybe we should get used to skin and fuck more and shoot less.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:48 am

Notable in that it was also written by FoxNews columnist/gun advocate John Lott.

I'm seeing a pattern here...
Yeah, me too. That you are a lazy hack that makes the late great mb look sharp. Lemme guess, you googled Lott? Did you even bother to open the link, much less read it? Did you notice who did all the heavy lifting (aka, you know...research) in the paper? William Landes? Or was the fact that Lott is politically driven good enough for your purposes?
William Landes joined the faculty of the University of Chicago Law School in 1974 and was the Clifton R. Musser Professor of Law and Economics in the Law School from 1992 to 2009. Mr. Landes has written widely on the application of economics and quantitative methods to law and legal institutions, including torts, intellectual property, judicial behavior, legal decision-making, and art law. His most recent book, The Economic Structure of Intellectual Property Law (2003) with Judge Richard Posner (Senior Lecturer at the Law School), applies economic analysis to the many legal doctrines in trademark, copyright, trade secret, and patent law. Landes has been an editor of the Journal of Law and Economics (1975–1991) and the Journal of Legal Studies (1991–2000), is past president of the American Law and Economics Association, and is a member of the American Economic Association, the Mont Pelerin Society, and the Council of Economic Advisers of the American Enterprise Institute. He is also a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
I think he was every bit as capable of crunching stats as your american progress people. Both studies are looking for a conclusion to support their views. Both say the solution is something different. Who is right? I know one thing: one study wants to take rights away from people and one wants to empower the individual by strengthening their rights. I will always support strengthening rights vs taking rights away.

canook

Post by canook » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:52 pm

you could guess that, but you'd be wrong - again. I did read the links and I didn't google Lott. No need to - the trail of breadcrumbs back to his self-serving .org is pretty transparent.

You're smart enough to know any economist worth their salt is capable of engaging in voodoo freakonomics to suit their political viewpoint. It's hardly a surprise they're able to twist 'facts' and opinion to support their agendas.

And again, we simply disagree - I refuse to accept that the right of children to remain alive is of less worth less than your right to fethishize guns.

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Da Ax wrote:
ditchdoc wrote:Anger, hatred, bigotry, mental health, moral health, thoughtlessness, ego, lack of education, lack of parenting, lack of role models, unreasonable fear, evilness. Can any society solve these problems? They seem to be getting worse. What can one do but be responsible for his/her own safety, and the safety of their loved ones and possessions? How one does that is part of the equation. I don't spend much of my time worrying about it, but I am prepared, just in case.
^^^^ This...but I do wonder if it's getting "worse"...or is it that we get to hear more about it now that the magic of technology has assisted in going way farther than informing us.
You have a point, but whether there are more of these horrors, or, we just hear of them really makes no difference. They still occur. I don't pretend to have the answer, but I'm pretty sure that more gun laws are not the answer.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

LTD

Post by LTD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:05 pm

canook wrote:you could guess that, but you'd be wrong - again. I did read the links and I didn't google Lott. No need to - the trail of breadcrumbs back to his self-serving .org is pretty transparent.

You're smart enough to know any economist worth their salt is capable of engaging in voodoo freakonomics to suit their political viewpoint. It's hardly a surprise they're able to twist 'facts' and opinion to support their agendas.

And again, we simply disagree - I refuse to accept that the right of children to remain alive is of less worth less than your right to fethishize guns.
One could easily argue that our right to bear arms has allowed many children and those who support them the liberties needed to survive eliminating many more deaths of our children both in the past and most likely in the future. Get over It Canook.....the guns will never be gone. You will never eliminate them here in the US, not now and not down the road and certainly not without a lot of bloodshed.

You need to stay in that little purgatory you think you live in and not concern yourself with American law. If you want to keep guns out of your little world tighten your fucking border and your laws making absolutely impossible for any gun to cross them. Make them so prohibitive and punishable by death, that only a criminal intent on breaking your laws wanting to die would dare have them in Canada. Let me know how that works for ya.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!