something to think about and discuss

Muddled Duck

Re: something to think about and discuss

Post by Muddled Duck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:11 pm

I'd hate to see that LTD. I have a lot of pleasant memories of wandering Canada with a couple of guns in the car. Hope to take my son up for fall break in a couple of years.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

LTD

Post by LTD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Muddled Duck wrote:I'd hate to see that LTD. I have a lot of pleasant memories of wandering Canada with a couple of guns in the car. Hope to take my son up for fall break in a couple of years.
MD...It might not be fair for me to wish such a thing.....but quite frankly I am tired of listening to these guys whine about our country from the other side of the border. I am sure Canada has a ton of great things to offer. I also know that there are a lot of great people people up there. I have a few very good friends that are Canadian, thing is they speak honestly about their country and it's downfalls (no different than truthful Americans) unlike some on this board.

I have only been to Canada one time.....fishing. ( go figure) My fishing experience there was great, my boarder experience there...not so much. I will never go back...to the delight of guys like Canook I am sure.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Really was just trying to make a subtle point. The hunting guns I've taken to Canada, and those owned by Canadians with whom I've hunted, are as, or more, suitable for a mass shooting than the guns many are so frightened of.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

canook

Post by canook » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:38 pm

LTD wrote:
You need to stay in that little purgatory you think you live in and not concern yourself with American law. If you want to keep guns out of your little world tighten your fucking border and your laws making absolutely impossible for any gun to cross them. Make them so prohibitive and punishable by death, that only a criminal intent on breaking your laws wanting to die would dare have them in Canada. Let me know how that works for ya.
I think I live in a little purgatory??
huh...
(edit - you should probably look up the meaning of that word, so as to make sense).

We've evolved past the death penalty btw.

And just so we're clear, I have never once advocated a total gun ban.

You're right about one thing though - the vast majority of illegal guns in this country come from 'Murica.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Here are some facts in from the article I linked. I thought it was interesting stuff considering America is the only violent place in the developed world.

Does Obama not consider Norway a developed country? After all, Anders Breivik shot 69 people to death and wounded 110 others. That attack holds the record for a single-person shooting spree.

Is Germany a developed country? While the president focused on school shootings, he never acknowledged that two of the three worst K-12 school shootings have occurred in Germany since 2000, not in the United States. These were:

-- Erfurt, Germany on April 26, 2002: a former student killed 18 at a secondary school.

-- Winnenden, Germany, March 11, 2009: a 17-year-old former student killed 15 people, including nine students and three teachers.

A partial list of mass shootings in Europe from 2000 to early 2010 is available here.

Gun control advocates have plenty of money to get their message across. Thus last year, gun control advocates outspent their opponents by a ratio of 7.4 to 1 on television advertisements.

This year is shaping up to be just as lopsided. While the NRA spends about $20 million annually on political activities, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is spending about $50 million per year. And Gabreille Gifford's anti-gun organization is putting up another $20 million. Still others are putting in tens of millions more dollars. On top of that gun control advocates have a very sympathetic media that gets their points across.

In any case, the total number of murders is the more important comparison and the U.S. murder rate is less than the average murder rate for the world. Nor is it close to having the highest murder rate among developed countries.

canook

Post by canook » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:47 pm

What I couldn't find in that article was the number of mass shooting per country (I might have missed it), not just body counts. Intentional omission?

I very much doubt the NRA is the only pro-gun lobby spending money to get its message across, but it's the only one listed. Intentional omission?

Finally, I read the article and what I came away with is this - all homicides are listed, not just firearm-related. That would certainly skew the numbers, most likely in favour of the author's argument. Very disingenuous if that's the case.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:08 pm

No idea, but he obviously provided links to a hell of a lot of data. I found this list in a quick google search for "mass shootings per capita by country."
1. Norway - 15.3 per capita
2. Finland - 3.50
3. Slovakia - 1.47
4. Israel - 1.38
5. Belgium - 0.63
6. US - 0.59
7. Netherlands - 0.42
8. Germany - 0.31
9. UK - 0.19
10. Canada - 0.17

Homicide and Gun ownership rates of all countries.
http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.or ... countries/

Why would it be disingenuous. A homicide is a dead person no matter what was used. If the murderer doesn't have access to a gun he simply finds another way. You're far more likely to be killed with a blunt object in the U.S. than with a gun. You're still dead.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Here's another interesting article citing several "experts" in regards to whether mass killings have increased in the U.S.
http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/17/are-m ... ore-common

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:29 am

LTD wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:
I have only been to Canada one time.....fishing. ( go figure) My fishing experience there was great, my boarder experience there...not so much. I will never go back...to the delight of guys like Canook I am sure.
Come on up some fall...and I will host...

LTD

Post by LTD » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:00 pm

ChaseChrome wrote:
LTD wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:
Come on up some fall...and I will host...
Chrome....did you win the Key West charters on the Jerms adoption deal?
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:28 pm

LTD wrote:

Chrome....did you win the Key West charters on the Jerms adoption deal?
Yeah...what luck!!
Other than dream of reds, I spend much time watching youtubers chase trarpon...gotta tell ya you have no idea how damned stoked I am. Much to consider...

FUCK...just checked your signature this you Don???
We gotta talk man...

Plow

Post by Plow » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:27 pm

A spectator only seat could put the auction way over the top.

We follow a simple rule down here, first person to talk politics or religion in the boat gets a hard kick to the nuts. No exceptions.
Better Reds than dead...