Red states are using Obamacare to rip themselves off

BigCliff

Red states are using Obamacare to rip themselves off

Post by BigCliff » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:43 am

For a bill that passed without a single Republican vote, Obamacare sure treats red states well. The law takes more money from blue states than from red states and it spends more money in red states than in blue states. It is, as Alec MacGillis wrote in the Washington Post at the time, "a rare triumph of principle over parochialism."

But before you think Democrats the only ones capable of putting principle before party, consider what has happened since the law's passage. Republicans have been busily remaking Obamacare into a subsidy from red states to blue ones.

Which is to say, the biggest fight in American politics in recent years began with Democrats creating a law that was a giant subsidy from blue states to red states and has evolved into Republicans working to turn the law into a giant subsidy from red states to blue states. It's a strange spectacle...

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/23/7440131/o ... red-states
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

cantfishforshit.

Re: Red states are using Obamacare to rip themselves off

Post by cantfishforshit. » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 am

I think for the left its more about does everyone have healthcare than who is subsidizing who. Also its nice to not have to file bankruptcy before you qualify for government subsidies on healthcare.
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

SOBF

Re: Red states are using Obamacare to rip themselves off

Post by SOBF » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Like a moth to a flame.