Trans Pacific Partnerhip.

blumpkin

Trans Pacific Partnerhip.

Post by blumpkin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:19 am

Same deal as net neutrality, would like to hear your take.

I read Austrian news during periods of insomnia.
Usually it's just Dingo eats baby... Blah blah blah...
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 3sxty.html
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Re: Trans Pacific Partnerhip.

Post by MTgrayling » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 am

Elizabeth Warren seems to be the singular voice of reason in this secret social sodomizing charade of a sell out.

Some will win, but we all lose in these (non) free trade deals.

It's the way of the future. The global corporate race to the bottom.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

Plow

Post by Plow » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 pm

It will drive lawn furniture prices down. Win, win.
Better Reds than dead...

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 pm

I have never seen anything so geared towards making Lawyers rich.

Now they can make regulations so chockingly restrictive, that it will shut down small manufacturers.
Large corporations will be able to sue to get lost profits back that they lose complying.

So... Yeah... Giant corporations and Lawyers win big time.
Travis.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:40 am

blumpkin wrote:I have never seen anything so geared towards making Lawyers rich.

Now they can make regulations so chockingly restrictive, that it will shut down small manufacturers.
Large corporations will be able to sue to get lost profits back that they lose complying.

So... Yeah... Giant corporations and Lawyers win big time.
If you think about it, if you give anyone the opportunity to do their job in a way that creates more demand for their position, they're going to do it. They'd be stupid not to.

Annnnnd that's EXACTLY what lawyers do. "hmm, I can sign off on this because its reasonable, or I could create job security for me by creating all the tedious redlines/conditions/amendments imaginable. That's a no-brainer."

And thus the country with 8% of the world's population and 80% of the world's lawyers pays twice as much of their GDP as the rest of the world for healthcare, has a constipated legislative body that produces 2000+ pg laws, and deals with dizzying disclosures that prevent actual understanding of all sorts of financial products...
Last edited by BigCliff on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 am

That was an awesome response Cliff.
Travis.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:34 am

blumpkin wrote:That was an awesome response Cliff.
Its one of my two favorite diagnostic/explanatory conspiracy theories.

The other is that we're never going to see a cure for cancer because it would cut out like 30% (more?) of all medical spending.

Think about it- all the patients all over the world spending years dealing with cancer therapies? That's gotta be $TRILLIONS every year.

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Thu May 07, 2015 3:46 pm

BigCliff wrote:
blumpkin wrote:That was an awesome response Cliff.
Its one of my two favorite diagnostic/explanatory conspiracy theories.

The other is that we're never going to see a cure for cancer because it would cut out like 30% (more?) of all medical spending.

Think about it- all the patients all over the world spending years dealing with cancer therapies? That's gotta be $TRILLIONS every year.

Cliff, I once proposed to a very large company that we "explore ssRNA inhibition of angiogenic pathways in tumors". What that sentence says in English is, lets prevent cancer cell from developing the blood supply that allows them to be dangerous (successful cancers get their own blood tubes bringing vital stuff to them). The answer I got was that a broad approach to cancer has never been validated and therefore if you have a more specific R&D project, we will consider the merit of that. But "curing cancer" isn't a valid project.

Since then various grad students and labs across the country have explored that very thing and have not cured cancer, so I didn't have some world altering idea. But the fact that academia was the only avenue willing to explore it is telling...either because big corp knew what it was doing in evaluating risk/cost/benefit or because big corp isn't in the business of eradicating disease. You can form your own opinion.
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Sat May 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Jeebus... now I'm really depressed.

Because, I'm sure you guys have it right.
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon May 11, 2015 12:46 pm

Bobwhite wrote:Jeebus... now I'm really depressed.

Because, I'm sure you guys have it right.
Bob, here's two attempts at optimism:

Its very possible that said proposal was rejected because it wasn't specific enough. Cancer is about as homogenous as "Europeans"- they're a category, but definitely not all the same.

Also, assuming someday we're on single payer health insurance, I think that will increase the likelihood that cancer will be cured, as the party paying the bills will then have a vested interest in preventing the costs of cancer therapy.

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 pm

BigCliff wrote:
Its very possible that said proposal was rejected because it wasn't specific enough. Cancer is about as homogenous as "Europeans"- they're a category, but definitely not all the same.
That's the point. Cancer may not be homogenous, but there isn't a million different blood vessel formation pathways. You kill the blood vessel formation, you get all the different types of cancer that rely on it, not just the one in your lab. Worth throwing a few thousand bucks at and some man hours. But you are correct. You want to get a project funded, it needs to be very specific. Which is kind of sad. I would suggest you approach it by trying 100 different kinds of cancer and studying the ones it's successful in, in order to re-deploy into the ones it didn't work in. But that was above my pay grade. I didn't get to make choices like that.
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513