PSA: Religious LIberties

User avatar
kish
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by kish » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Don't know if I'm allowed in the basement, but what the hell. It seems pretty simple to me.

A "Devout Christian" caterer should not be forced by law to cater a gay wedding any more than a gay caterer should be forced to cater a reception in the basement of the Westboro Baptist Church. ( Or whatever the name of that nasty bigoted anti gay church is.)

Unless you argue in favor of the latter, you're full of shit to argue the former.

Or how about forcing a Black caterer to serve a KKK rally? Not quite as analogous, but not too far off.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

User avatar
canook
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: Further

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by canook » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Except, of course, that Christ never once said anything negative about homosexuality and a number of Christian denominations are completely accepting of homosexuals.

He taught love and acceptance, quite the opposite of what wbc preaches.

The wbc is to Christianity what boko haram is to Islam.

User avatar
kish
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by kish » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:26 pm

So we should make and enforce laws based on Christ's supposed opinions? (or lack of)?

Who decides which churches or religions are acceptable and deserve protection? John Boehner? Harry Reid?
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

User avatar
canook
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: Further

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by canook » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 am

kish wrote:So we should make and enforce laws based on Christ's supposed opinions? (or lack of)?
Of course not. That was my point. Obviously, the gov. of Indiana thinks you should though (until it becomes too damaging politically, at which point he'll lose his religion).

User avatar
cantfishforshit.
Posts: 2016
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by cantfishforshit. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:26 am

kish wrote:Don't know if I'm allowed in the basement, but what the hell. It seems pretty simple to me.

A "Devout Christian" caterer should not be forced by law to cater a gay wedding any more than a gay caterer should be forced to cater a reception in the basement of the Westboro Baptist Church. ( Or whatever the name of that nasty bigoted anti gay church is.)

Unless you argue in favor of the latter, you're full of shit to argue the former.

Or how about forcing a Black caterer to serve a KKK rally? Not quite as analogous, but not too far off.

Except for the fact that these (Westboro and KKK) are considered hate groups. Your argument is asinine.
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

Wholetmygoatsout
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: Off the right hand side

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by Wholetmygoatsout » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:06 pm

cantfishforshit. wrote:
kish wrote:Don't know if I'm allowed in the basement, but what the hell. It seems pretty simple to me.

A "Devout Christian" caterer should not be forced by law to cater a gay wedding any more than a gay caterer should be forced to cater a reception in the basement of the Westboro Baptist Church. ( Or whatever the name of that nasty bigoted anti gay church is.)

Unless you argue in favor of the latter, you're full of shit to argue the former.

Or how about forcing a Black caterer to serve a KKK rally? Not quite as analogous, but not too far off.

Except for the fact that these (Westboro and KKK) are considered hate groups. Your argument is asinine.
The argument may well be asinine, but this debate is a slippery slope that will have people, from both the left and right, making similar arguments and probably worse.
"..I made my living on here drawing dicks for the last 4+ years". RFA

"Sometimes you are the dog, sometimes you are the tree". Mario Gotze

User avatar
cantfishforshit.
Posts: 2016
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by cantfishforshit. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:17 pm

It's very simple. We don't refuse to service non-violent groups. We serve blacks, hispanics, hindu, etc and gays. We have a constitution that says they have the right to eat at the same lunch counter that we do. Don't like it? Move.
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

User avatar
fallen513
Posts: 3243
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by fallen513 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:45 pm

i lovees mitch
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

Wholetmygoatsout
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: Off the right hand side

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by Wholetmygoatsout » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:02 pm

So we don't serve Hells Angels, Bloods, Crips etc etc ...what is the definition of violent groups ? This is the slippery slope that extremists will drag one down.
"..I made my living on here drawing dicks for the last 4+ years". RFA

"Sometimes you are the dog, sometimes you are the tree". Mario Gotze

User avatar
cantfishforshit.
Posts: 2016
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by cantfishforshit. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Wholetmygoatsout wrote:So we don't serve Hells Angels, Bloods, Crips etc etc ...what is the definition of violent groups ? This is the slippery slope that extremists will drag one down.

I think that it's reasonable to not serve a person based on the fact that they are in a hate group (and all that you mentioned are in that category). It's not that complicated; Blacks are allowed at the lunch counter, so are gays. Hate groups can be refused service. Logic and reason still work. This isn't complicated.
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

User avatar
BaggerMcGuirk
Posts: 1715
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:00 pm
Location: Phelan High, Ca

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by BaggerMcGuirk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:26 pm







I bet they wont get the media attention and the death threats that the pizza joint is getting.

Carry on minions.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Hereaclitus
The goal of socialism is communism.
Vladimir Lenin

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.It is only difficult for the others.
It is the same when your stupid.

User avatar
cantfishforshit.
Posts: 2016
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by cantfishforshit. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Yes, gay wedding cakes aren't intolerant and hate speech. Anti gay wedding cakes are. Not complicated people.
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests