I heard that some people got shot

austrotard

I heard that some people got shot

Post by austrotard » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 am

but since there's been no mention of it here it probably didn't happen.

-saint mitch
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

Muddled Duck

Re: I heard that some people got shot

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:38 am

Yes, but it's a difficult thing to report. Evidently a flag purchased a gun and killed nine people in a church. Until now no one thought a flag and a gun could function together as a team, but we've learned it is indeed possible. Folks are working diligently to outlaw both.

In related news, sticker sales to flags are skyrocketing. One stating "you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead furls" has set records despite Walmart, Ebay and Amazon refusing to carry the item.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:02 am

I get having pride in your region. I don't get flying a symbol of slavery...

How would you feel about a Mercedes with a Swastica on the hood?
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:20 am

It's only a symbol of slavery to those lacking a decent knowledge of history. If one wants to make that argument,they should be intellectually honest enough to admit the US flag represented slavery more than 20x longer. Further, the legal horrors committed against blacks after the war were committed with the sanction of the US government under that flag.

Now, I've always felt the battle flag was only appropriate at battlefield monuments. If a state wishes to fly a Confederate flag at their Capitol, it should be one of the National flags and/or their state flag as existed during the war.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:22 am

yard4sale wrote:I get having pride in your region. I don't get flying a symbol of slavery...

How would you feel about a Mercedes with a Swastica on the hood?
Doubt I'd buy one, but whatever floats your boat.

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:59 am

Muddled Duck wrote:It's only a symbol of slavery to those lacking a decent knowledge of history. If one wants to make that argument,they should be intellectually honest enough to admit the US flag represented slavery more than 20x longer. Further, the legal horrors committed against blacks after the war were committed with the sanction of the US government under that flag.

Now, I've always felt the battle flag was only appropriate at battlefield monuments. If a state wishes to fly a Confederate flag at their Capitol, it should be one of the National flags and/or their state flag as existed during the war.
German flag is to the swastica as the US flag is to the confederate flag. Ever wonder why white power groups use both?

I agree that the US has an ugly history, but flying the confederate flag is clinging to its most ugly part. Time to move on.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:05 pm

Muddled Duck wrote:If one wants to make that argument, they should be intellectually honest enough to admit the US flag represented slavery more than 20x longer.
If this one was still up, I'd agree-

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us-1865.html
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:18 pm

yard4sale wrote: German flag is to the swastica as the US flag is to the confederate flag. Ever wonder why white power groups use both?

I agree that the US has an ugly history, but flying the confederate flag is clinging to its most ugly part. Time to move on.
So the German flag hung over Berlin while concentration camps were being built and "undesirable" people were rounded up, interred and then executed in their millions? I'm amazed. I honestly thought a new flag was designed by the Nazis and then another flag (actually several since) was introduced after the war.

Unlike the German flag, the flag of the US stood for legalized slavery from our founding until December of 1865 (interesting that slavery was still legal in the US for some time after the war). After that it stood for Jim Crow and a host of other government sanctioned racial injustices. The Confederate flag in question wasn't even the national flag. It flew over no Capitol of the Confederacy. It was simply a battle flag. Now, if you want to suggest the US adopt a new flag, you'll get credit for consistency.

White power groups are morons with a poor knowledge of history similar to what many otherwise intelligent people espouse when the flag issue arises. It's a matter of ignorance.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:20 pm

BigCliff wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:If one wants to make that argument, they should be intellectually honest enough to admit the US flag represented slavery more than 20x longer.
If this one was still up, I'd agree-

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us-1865.html
So by adding stars the flag should no longer be connected with the injustices of the past? How many stars have been added since segregation was outlawed?

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:28 pm

As to the OP, yes nine people were murdered in a church by a psychotic young man. It was an awful thing. There were many inspiring stories coming from the community before we all got sidetracked in debating things that had nothing to do with the tragedy. I apologize for my part in that mess.

Prayers for the family and friends of the victims.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:25 pm

What I find mind numbing is that the families of the victims have shown more grace, courage and true christian love in their response to the killer than I have ever seen displayed, yet all anyone wants to talk about is a flag. The victims and the courageous families are what people should be talking about right now, but sadly opportunist on both sides of the isle will grab any opportunity to make political hay, no matter how distasteful the timing.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Redchaser wrote:What I find mind numbing is that the families of the victims have shown more grace, courage and true christian love in their response to the killer than I have ever seen displayed, yet all anyone wants to talk about is a flag. The victims and the courageous families are what people should be talking about right now, but sadly opportunist on both sides of the isle will grab any opportunity to make political hay, no matter how distasteful the timing.
Well said. I've already apologized and can only offer an excuse that I was responding to a post on the Politics forum. Really should be nothing political about nine people being murdered by a nutcase.