Post by canook » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:24 pm

SOBF

Re: Troubled and conflicetd.

Post by SOBF » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:05 pm

I say Saudi should take them.

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Imagine if we had the same attitude some have now when the Irish and Italians came over on the boat...over 50% of youze wouldn't be alive as 'Mericans to bitch/be insular... :coffee
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:19 pm

VTNZ wrote:Imagine if we had the same attitude some have now when the Irish and Italians came over on the boat...over 50% of youze wouldn't be alive as 'Mericans to bitch/be insular... :coffee
And how do you know that whomever was alive back then DIDN'T have that attitude. The difference is that the Italians and Irish didn't have a splinter faction back home who wanted to kill us. As I said, I'm not completely for or against this, I just think we need to think about it.

If anyone believes that we can "vet" the refugees to make sure they are not radicals, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I could sell ya. There is no way to tell, and even if they are not, it's a heck of a lot easier to BECOME radicalized now than any time in recorded history. Caution is the word, not panic.
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:47 pm

And how do you know that whomever was alive back then DIDN'T have that attitude. The difference is that the Italians and Irish didn't have a splinter faction back home who wanted to kill us. As I said, I'm not completely for or against this, I just think we need to think about it.

If anyone believes that we can "vet" the refugees to make sure they are not radicals, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I could sell ya. There is no way to tell, and even if they are not, it's a heck of a lot easier to BECOME radicalized now than any time in recorded history. Caution is the word, not panic.
A splinter faction back then is a far smaller number than 10% of the 1.6 billion Muslim population in the world. Today it's a big splinter.

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:57 pm

To me this is not a Syrian issue. Its a overpopulation issue. Its a "I don't like where I live so rather than make it better I'll move to America" issue.

I'm not saying we need to deny everybody. I am saying we cannot accept everybody in the world who wants to be an American issue.

It may be cold hearted but fix your own house.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Hard to fix yer house when it's been bombed and your parents were killed 12 years ago from a BS war, and now you're 22 and with no home,family, hope, and caught up in the war industries games and as Mitch noted, organized religion wars.
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

peetso

Post by peetso » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 pm

yard4sale wrote:
Fuck me I'm sure glad that wasn't the rationale in 1932 when my great-grandparents fled the Ukraine and came to this continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Guess they should have stayed and fixed it.
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:12 pm

So where do we flee when 200 million people move to the US?
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Where else? Texas....

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:31 pm

hands up with those who know syria isn't really a country and more of a cesspool of displaced people israel didn't have the need for...

and that's one... two... three.
come on, people... okay, four... but he doesn't seem too sure.

okay. five? no?

okay four.

smarten the fuck up you lot.
put the dp in texas.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Back in the day my parents had a Brit that was living with us student teaching here. He wanted to stay but he was not allowed to stay even though he had a job teaching. Paul couldn't stay,but we should allow unvetted people stay here. The Boston Marathon bombers were fully vetted ? Yes? Yet they were on public assistance and were able to do what they did.