Speaking of Monuments

Post Reply
User avatar
RFA
Posts: 7110
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 am

Speaking of Monuments

Post by RFA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:16 pm

I hear the Richard Nixon may have gotten a library named after him.


I wonder what Trump's will look like? I bet it will have a decent amount of gold accents.

I wonder if there are any Watergate books in the Nixon library? That would be ironic.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

User avatar
RFA
Posts: 7110
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by RFA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Counterpoint: I wonder how history will look back on this time, and how things will be remembered? I know it won't be kind, but I would venture to guess it will be glossed over much like when Uncle Gene ends up with his pickup wrapped around a tree after Thanksgiving dinner, all family members rallying to make it go away before anyone else takes notice.

That is, until the shaming begins, and no one is left whole until every person is in trouble. Every single thing they ever did is analyzed and drug through the mud.

The ignorant, unchanging, callous, angry, resentful grandpa saying fuck you to a generation of his offspring unwilling to accept anything not overly sensitive, a group of, dare I say "fucking pussies", who are also ignorant, angry, and resentful, but in an entirely different way. No better, no worse.

You goddamned stupid kids, no, fuck you old man.

The rest of us sit back and watch in horror, waiting until the drive home to complain, in the comfort of what we can control.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5913
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by BigCliff » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 am

RFA wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:16 pm
I bet it will have a indecent amount of gold accents.
Fixed.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5913
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by BigCliff » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 am

RFA wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:52 pm
Counterpoint: I wonder how history will look back on this time, and how things will be remembered?
I'm betting it will be viewed as the reason why our country's direction is no longer directed primarily by the views of old white men.

After all:

Trump is an old white man.
Trump and his team did massive damage to our institutions, security, reputation and national values.
Old white men as a whole continued to support Trump all along while he did this shit.
Therefore, the views/judgement of old white men are not to be trusted.

I'm a white man who's almost middle aged now.

Thanks for fucking up my deal dipshits!
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

User avatar
RFA
Posts: 7110
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by RFA » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:07 pm

BigCliff wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 am
RFA wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:52 pm
Counterpoint: I wonder how history will look back on this time, and how things will be remembered?
I'm betting it will be viewed as the reason why our country's direction is no longer directed primarily by the views of old white men.

After all:

Trump is an old white man.
Trump and his team did massive damage to our institutions, security, reputation and national values.
Old white men as a whole continued to support Trump all along while he did this shit.
Therefore, the views/judgement of old white men are not to be trusted.

I'm a white man who's almost middle aged now.

Thanks for fucking up my deal dipshits!
My usual reaction to political events ranges from "what happened" to ""I disagree with that, and am going to rant about it once I down about 6-8 beers".

I get the feeling that we're about to enter a whole new realm of living as Americans. 30% of us think the other 70% aren't part of their club.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

User avatar
yard4sale
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by yard4sale » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 pm

You think the 30/70 thing is new? It's the same old story, it's just the players that change.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

User avatar
austrotard
Posts: 8808
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:24 am
Location: the austrocity exhibition
Contact:

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by austrotard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:47 am

the usa has an undeniable class system.

and where do you feel you fit?
disnae matter, you're wrong.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

User avatar
RFA
Posts: 7110
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by RFA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 pm

I realize I am wasting my time typing this on a forum that maybe gets 15 views a day (to the 30-40 that the General Discussion one gets), I agree with the Seppo down Undo....er.

The problem with these types of arguments is that are complicated, nuanced, and without a definitive answer. The scales tip because people with money (a lot of fucking wonga) can pay smart people to make the argument for them, while the rest of us have to worry about day to day living.

I have no problem with free markets, free competition. Put Donald Trump up against an everyday 12th grader in ghetto Camden, New Jersey....both wits and strength on the table, and he would get absolutely destroyed, every time, for 1000 tries. That match will never occur because the playing field is slanted at about 80 degrees in favor of the rich. It's just like Shunned said, it's a class system, and that system is designed to keep those with privilege in fucking privilege, no matter how incompetent or moronic they may be.

This shit goes much deeper than that, as in how a Seppo who makes even $500K/year is at a distinct advantage in our system as someone that makes $100K, but thems topics are for another day.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

User avatar
fallen513
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by fallen513 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Working class.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

User avatar
fallen513
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by fallen513 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 pm

I completely disagree with you RAffa. Ain't shit gonna change brother, believe that. What we need is a few giant nukes to hit us right in the belly, or at lest the power to go out for a couple months. That's when things change.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

User avatar
BigCliff
Posts: 5913
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am
Location: SanAntonyo

Re: Speaking of Monuments

Post by BigCliff » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:06 pm

RFA wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 pm
Put Donald Trump up against an everyday 12th grader in ghetto Camden, New Jersey....both wits and strength on the table, and he would get absolutely destroyed, every time, for 1000 tries.
Can verify.

I sold door to door in Camden for a while.

(but based on my experience, the results would be more entertaining if the kid was from around Lehigh & 5th in North Philly)
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 79 guests