This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By mendthatshit87
Whats up? So...after some(many) vodka (like belvedere as vodka goes)drinks, and a little dank greenage, I had the impulse to tie some late night flies to try to differ this cabin fever For a while. I had to convert my computer desk at school into a little fly bench...granted its not the cuda vise back home and Im extremely limited in my materials I tried to tie a shrimpish and craby pattern. Usually tie trout flies, but the salt is always a nice escape. Anyways, heres the lame attempt at a fly that I took some inspirtation off the merkin, I guess. Sugguestions welcome!
Attachments:
comp desk tie 001.jpg
fly tying bench, guerilla tactics style
comp desk tie 001.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
comp desk tie 003.jpg
the side the fish hopefully likes...
comp desk tie 003.jpg (87.74 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
comp desk tie 004.jpg
underside view, see there are some eyes in there somewhere
comp desk tie 004.jpg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
comp desk tie 002.jpg
side view
comp desk tie 002.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
By burgerthumb
the chartreuse one is a fish-catcher. never used a crab fly.

The moral of the story here is spend less money on vodka (ketel 1 is a good compromise - very smooth, but about 15 bucks cheaper) and more money on materials.

Maybe less herb.
By Plow
Vodka goes in the freezer! Drinking, herbing and tying – pick any two.

What did you use for the “head”? Looks better than my first crap/shrimp.

Chartreuse fly could work. :cool
By fat tire
I'd probably eat it.

your friend,

red fish
By viking
Good lord, you drink very well for being in college. I think your tying would improve if you switched to plastic gallon jugs.

Really though, cool flies. I doubt I could do that sober.
By flybug.pa.
Pass the inspiration, nice flies :coffee
By mendthatshit87
viking wrote:Good lord, you drink very well for being in college. I think your tying would improve if you switched to plastic gallon jugs.

Really though, cool flies. I doubt I could do that sober.
Oh dont get the wrong impression, I dont drink the high end while at college very often...but everybody else was doing homework, and I said screw it, if your gonna do it, do it right tonight(TBD on tv, vodka, and herb). I appreciate the criticism guys, and Ill cut back and buy more materials, it just sucks to know Ill have the same stuff back at my house.

Plow, Its some brown sparkle chenille, I guess I thought it looked cool at the time...

Badcop, I didnt know you had to mend the flyline in the salt marshes, thanks for the advice. You have great words of wisdom.[cough]
Last edited by mendthatshit87 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Plow
mendthatshit87 wrote: Plow, Its some brown sparkle chenille, I guess I thought it looked cool at the time...

I like the body. Can't go wrong with furry buggy crab bodies imho. Check out the Borski tying videos if you haven't already.
Rust Belt 2019

no $148 wings/pizza. fail.

can we shut this down some more?

A Confession

^this re: what is wrong in my life that I must ge[…]

I agree. Perhaps some homegrown heavahs will help […]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine