Taking macro shots

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
nympho

Taking macro shots

Post by nympho » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Got this new Olympus stylus 850SW a couple months ago. Some of you bastards make me really jealous of the pics you get. Framing the pic isn't a problem, but getting great detail and leveling the light just isn't happening. Tried taking pics of a couple bugs- not happening either. My owner's manual doesn't give any clues as to how to take advantage of the macro- just how to turn it on. This has probably been covered in depth somewhere before, but I don't remember seeing it and I'm too damned lazy to look for it.

Could use a little tutorial over here. Anyone feel like helping?
"Fucksakes. Nemo- tell the green ween to leave those tits up for a spell"...Salmotrutta

LTD

Re: Taking macro shots

Post by LTD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:23 pm

I would also be interested in some input on this subject. I love the macro stuff and would like to learn more about it.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Outcast

Post by Outcast » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:04 am

I've got the same camera and haven't completely got the macro stuff figured out yet either. I've taken a shitload of macro shots and have gotten a few flowers and bugs to turn out ok.

My suggestion would be to just keep pressing the shutter button as often as possible and if you get shit, delete it. That's the beauty of digital. Fuck ups are free (except for time).

You could also try pressing "up" on the cross toggle after you get the camera into macro mode which will give you a few choices on exposure comp.

Lighting seems to be the absolute key. Also the camera won't let you get TOO close. If you are trying to fill the whole frame with a size 18 bug forget it. If you do figure out how please, please tell me how you did it.

I have also had a lot of problems with indoor macro shots (flies). I just can't get the lighting right for the camera to acheive proper focus. I've even tried it with a tripod and using the timer so as not to jiggle the camera when pressing the shutter button, no dice.
Outcast's initial response to you is just the sort of mean, immediate, unnecessary, gatekeeper-bullshit newbie-bashing that I've come to hate on my own board. But then, somehow, miraculously, in only six posts, you managed to earn it. -nemo

"Around here service is not just another six letter word." -Gaper's Pimp

Rhyacophila

Post by Rhyacophila » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:14 am

Be it said in advance that I am no expert in photography, be it film or digital format.

Some things I do that help are:

Turn off the flash

Use the zoom to help fill the screen, I usually zoom in between 10 and 30 percent of my allowable zoom (I think this is the optical zoom, I dont use the other (digital zoom at all - I may have the terms backwards).

When I try to focus on the fly in a vice, I usually place a sheet of paper right behind the fly (I mean pressed right up against the fly), this allows the camera to focus at the correct distance.

Sometimes I can see in my LCD which part of the fly will be in focus and can move the camera slightly, while holding the shutter switch in the prefocus mode, to make sure I get the parts of interest in the best focus.

Sometimes focusing on the jaws is sufficient to get the right depth of focus, esp. with tiny flies.

Outdoors, I'll try similar stuff, focusing on a leaf or stick that a bug might be sitting on, rather than trying to get the insect itself in focus.

Flash would have just drown these out

Every once in a while I get a nice shot

I'd love to hear from the guys who get those great images how they do it.

I imagine they use a manual focus camera.
I guess being fat and ugly isn't enough for the powder monkey - hes got to be an asshole too. (RvW)

alanthealan

Post by alanthealan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:34 am

Don't use that model, but

If the camera dosen't have a supermacro setting allowing me to be close to the subject, I use the macro setting (usually a flower icon) and experiment with the distance and zoom until the camera focuses. Sometimes I am three feet away, but I "get in close" with the zoom. If its a busy background you have to manually focus. Tripods help.

2014 is the year!!!

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:03 am

I have a friend who has the 790 and he was also having issues with the macro mode. I've got the 1030 and it has better macro and supermacro. The Olympus doesn't focus very quickly in the macro mode and tends to look for highlight to focus on. Lots of light helps, if shooting flies on a vice use a tripod...

I would "practice" at home with some "bugs" or other "macro" subjects, so you can get the camera to function as you like, while not fumbling around with fish, mayflies, rod all while standing mid-stream...

good luck... it's a process .. some cameras (not olympus) have a zoom focus check button which is really nice... The waterproof olympus camera are a compromise at best. I've dunked two other cameras in the stream,

the brown drake was shot by my fiend with his camera, I not sure what brand, but the macro focus blew me away in terms of speed and the zoom focus check!
brown_drake.jpg
brown_drake.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
Attachments
790macro.gif
790 macro instructions....
790macro.gif (27.01 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:51 pm

i'm old school and use a 720SW

crank up image quality and crop the photo--- best thing i found
its hard to get the goods with a point and shoot

but the SW features are unreal
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

nympho

Post by nympho » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Ramcatt wrote:
OK, call me an idiot. But what are the SW features?
"Fucksakes. Nemo- tell the green ween to leave those tits up for a spell"...Salmotrutta

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:07 pm

nympho wrote:
Ramcatt wrote:
OK, call me an idiot. But what are the SW features?
Shockproof
Waterproof

when i got my 720 a few years back it was really the only Point and shoot with these options with quality images... i can't speak enough about these cameras
mine takes a beating and still runs strong

these have been up before... but all with 720
dog is with macro
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

E. Subvaria

Post by E. Subvaria » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 am

ON those cameras you must enable the macro by pressing the "flower" icon on the back of the camera.

I prefer to use the super macro with light feature while the camera is in macro mode with rapid shot set.

The macro on those point shoots is A grade however I understand the user interface to be a bit tricky. The Olympus cameras are advanced use unlike a canon or a nikon that you cannot even turn the flash off.

I also suggest cropping the image on your LCD screen properly prior to pushing the button to take the photo.

master of science in angling dimensions

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:44 am

typically anything really great macro wise is done with a SLR camera with a designated macro lens. obviously it's possible with the p&s cams but more of an issue to get consistant results. that being said i'm mainly talking about really small objects like mayflies and such. for your basic close up of a flower or something more like a couple of inches in size the p&s cams just set to macro and letting the cam do everything will get good results.

with tiny stuff the two biggest factors are camera shake and lighting. using a tripod takes care of shake but it hard to do in the field with insects that refuse to sit still. a higher shutter speed can deal with most cam shake but that requires enough light to get shutter speed fast. the other thing working against you is the f stop or what will determine how deep the focus area is. the closer you are the smaller the depth of field becomes and therefore you need a higher number fstop (smaller appeture) to cover the subject in focus. this also slows the shutter to get enough light which then causes blurred pics due to cam shake if not tripoded.

the answer to doing this in the field is a flash and a camera that can be used in manual mode so the photog can choose the correct shutter speed and f stop. typically you need f 16 or so to cover a mayfly full frame and about 1/250th shutter speed minimum to hand hold. the next step is dialing in the correct amount of flash power to get good coverage but not blow out bright areas and also possibly diffusing (muting) the flash to soften the light. once you know your cams settings you can easily and quickly set this up in the field to get that killer green drake shot or whatever. just like anything else, practicing and getting to know your equip. is the key to getting it done under adverse conditions in the field, where it counts.

realizing that i probably caused more confusion that helped with that i would be happy to answer any specific questions.

nikon d70 nikkor 105 micro lens f16 1/500th on board flash set to -1 full frame (not cropped) #24 trico on the water (maybe 3/16" body lenght).

LTD

Post by LTD » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:18 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote:typically anything really great macro wise is done with a SLR camera with a designated macro lens. obviously it's possible with the p&s cams but more of an issue to get consistant results. that being said i'm mainly talking about really small objects like mayflies and such. for your basic close up of a flower or something more like a couple of inches in size the p&s cams just set to macro and letting the cam do everything will get good results.

with tiny stuff the two biggest factors are camera shake and lighting. using a tripod takes care of shake but it hard to do in the field with insects that refuse to sit still. a higher shutter speed can deal with most cam shake but that requires enough light to get shutter speed fast. the other thing working against you is the f stop or what will determine how deep the focus area is. the closer you are the smaller the depth of field becomes and therefore you need a higher number fstop (smaller appeture) to cover the subject in focus. this also slows the shutter to get enough light which then causes blurred pics due to cam shake if not tripoded.

the answer to doing this in the field is a flash and a camera that can be used in manual mode so the photog can choose the correct shutter speed and f stop. typically you need f 16 or so to cover a mayfly full frame and about 1/250th shutter speed minimum to hand hold. the next step is dialing in the correct amount of flash power to get good coverage but not blow out bright areas and also possibly diffusing (muting) the flash to soften the light. once you know your cams settings you can easily and quickly set this up in the field to get that killer green drake shot or whatever. just like anything else, practicing and getting to know your equip. is the key to getting it done under adverse conditions in the field, where it counts.

realizing that i probably caused more confusion that helped with that i would be happy to answer any specific questions.

nikon d70 nikkor 105 micro lens f16 1/500th on board flash set to -1 full frame (not cropped) #24 trico on the water (maybe 3/16" body lenght).
GS,
I have a nik d40 with the standard 18-55. What f setting would you start at as a general rule for the Macro shots?
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!