This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By wvangler
[report]An 'eco angling' friend and I just got back from 10 days in CO chasing that state's version of the cuttslam with some side attractions.

Greenback Cutt from RMNP

This grayling hit and broke off, then hit again. Hence the two flies. Dumbass fish.

Dorsal Paintjob

He was pissed that I took a photo of a shitty cast, but I thought the picture turned out well so I kept it anyway. Kind of hard to make great loops with a six foot split bamboo one weight in mid afternoon winds at 11,000' so I gave him a pass.

Hey, I've seen these guys before!

Colorado River Cutt from a 16" wide ditch.

This tree was a growin before Christopher Columbus was a sperm

Rio Grande Cutthroat from 11,300' meadow.

Celebration beer. Slam, got all three of 'em. Now where's that yellowfin cutt?

Trout Unlimited sucks. I'd hate to join an organization that helps things. I'd rather bitch and complain.

9,000,000 caddis and no trout rising. Boredom equals more photography.

Freeze dried food goes best with hops.

gangstas

Hey dad, I think I've got a nibble. Almost broke out my 5 wt. bamboo on these bitches but I didn't feel like splicing any new tips when I got back home. Geezus.

One fish, Two Fish, Red Fly, Big Fish

14,433'. Guess where I am. Mother F'er that was a tough climb.

Does your fly shop have this?

A casual reply

Links to the rest of my photo galleries and detailed trip report on http://wvangler.wordpress.com. Had a blast. Sucks to be back driving a desk, but sleeping in a bed sure is nice.[/report]
Last edited by wvangler on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By illcentrifugal
a couple of things...uhhhmm...dope, cept for
eco-angling??what the fuck is that shit??
and nice eye-hook on the 'ling.
By wvangler
Just a term I came up with to describe going after native species. I guess I could call it Behnke Fishing. I'd rather do a cutt slam of 8" fish than catch 20" non native browns personally.
By B.O.Stimmy
wvangler wrote:Just a term I came up with to describe going after native species. I guess I could call it Behnke Fishing. I'd rather do a cutt slam of 8" fish than catch 20" non native browns personally.
Hell yeah. Thats the way to do it. Casting a short one weight in the wind must have been a bitch.
How far in did you hike?
By wvangler
We drove 1600 miles last week, all in the state of Colorado and put a minimum of 50 miles on our wading boots (Patagucci sticky rubber so don't panic about the didymo). I think the minimum we hiked to fish anywhere excluding the simons was a mile. Damn there was some serious trail ho's out and about too.
By germanbrown
it was cool fishing with you guys however brief.

congrats on the slam and making it up elbert. 8" cutts are cool, but 20" browns on hoppers are fun too. they live in the spots cutties can't make it after all. all trout have their place in CO!

a couple you didn't scare off that day -

glad you had fun while you were here.
By wvangler
true that. Sometime I would like to come out and stand in a big tailwater and thrash it with a telephone pole. But my first priority is always native fish regardless of size. Driving around the state and realizing how many great tribs there was and only 20 of them harbor greenbacks repulses me. Probably about as many harbor Colorado River cutts and Rio Grandes. Stocking bastard cutts and non-natives in those places makes me homicidal. The zealots, as Bob Behnke calls them, that stand in the way of pisciciding public waters for native reintroductions also make me homicidal.

Someday we'll get some more angling in germanbrown. Nice to meet you.
By TX.
Very nice guys.
By NeedmoreDEET
:cheer Very cool gents!
By midstream
Mikes shop is a very special place.
By Spudnik
Yes. Very awesome. Congrats on the Slam. Spectacular. Well done. Good show. Cheers.
By wvangler
Thanks gents.

Heading to State College, PA for 4 days next week for werk. Next report from there shant be nearly as strong. I might not even come out of my hotel room.
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Opal Cormorant https://live.staticflickr.com[…]

whatcha tying?

FB917E50-ED40-4B9D-A745-E311F5950DB1.jpeg

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Damn. Welcome back

Rock curry

Beautiful. [/kisses fingers]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine