This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
2 fish junkies looking for some place in Apalachicola or the general area to lodge from April 30th through May 5th. We are hoping for something cheap with a place we can cook but are open to whatever kind of cheap lodging we may have overlooked. Also considering camping in the area so if you know of anything...

Thanks for the help. This is sort of the "trip of a lifetime" for us and it is on a budget. Expect a kickass report no matter how the fishing pans out.

FMF Saltwater!
It's mostly house rentals on that stretch of coast. Hotel options are fairly limited. There are some B&B type places in Apalach and I want to say there's a Best Western (or equivalent) as well. You've got the El Governor hotel in Mexico Beach which ought to be fairly cheap, and if you really want to go dirtbag style, there's the Buccaneer Inn on St. George Island, a great little sleazy roach motel.

If it were my trip, I'd rent a bay house on St. George or Indian Pass or Cape San Blas. Should be like a grand, maybe $1200-1300 for the week. The major rental shops used to be Century 21 and Anchor Realty but there may be others now.

It'll be a great time to be there--reds and sharks everywhere and big trout in St. Joe Bay plus, if you're lucky, the tail end of the cobia run off the beach. I got my biggest trout in the Gulf in late April in St. Joe Bay. That was like 7 years ago and I still remember the eat.

Edit: I see that Ty already covered the Best Western...
late summer, lots of small sharks,etc on bay side of SGI at daylight.... very wadeable

LOTS OF BIG, BIG TARPON..... NO SMALL ONES...

stay at that big old house in middle of Aplachicola island... not all that expensive when me and the ex were there few yrs ago.
I think there is a campground in Eastpoint as well, a few miles away. Let me know what you guys are up to and I will try to take a day or two off if you want company.
BearsFan wrote:I think there is a campground in Eastpoint as well, a few miles away. Let me know what you guys are up to and I will try to take a day or two off if you want company.
My bro is a huge Bears fan so you two can stroke each other while I fish. We are planning on fishing hard. We're going to search craigslist for rentals so if you hear of anything let me know. Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming.
I stayed on Cape San Blas last summer with the family. I rented from a private owner who usually books thru an agency. i got lucky and knew the guy from a birdhunting board so he cut 10% off, think it was right at or just under a grand. Nothin fancy, just a condo with beach access. There was a state park on the tip of CSB that had cabins cheap but the Summer months were taken already. Research that and the St George Island (SGI) state park. Also check out vrbo.com if you haven't already. The owners often show their rentals there and thru one of the agencies that manages down that way. You can haggle with owners who aren't seeing as much business as they used to, and save by renting thru them. Other than that the Best Western. I definitely saw some lesser looking shacks that would give you a place to crash...On CSB there were some teeny shacks with docks for your boat, search around on vrbo. Also http://www.thecapeescape.com/Cape_San_B ... rants.html has some decent info. Some research there and phone calls may turn something up. Here is one of the fishing cottages...http://www.vrbo.com/165637

I envy you, had a blast last year...go eat here (Indian Pass Raw Bar) if you stay nearby.

Oysters

Beer
n8 wrote:Re: Looking for cheap lodging in or near Apalachicola April30...
walkindead wrote:late summer, lots of small sharks,etc on bay side of SGI at daylight....
???
just telling him something to do in down time..... its something to see.
bait is pushed up there early for some reason on the bayside beach of the island during late summer..... its a freaking feeding frenzy sometimes, never saw tarpon in that area but there were lots of 4ft and smaller sharks, etc... to cast to. Kinda fun to wade with them too.. If you have a 4x4, you can go out to the end of the island. SGI is really cool.
The thing is walkindead, no matter how much DST does save and how many times we patch a hole in the bowl, April 30th aint ever gonna be late Summer. but thats still good info on the sharks, we caught quite a few on the St Joe Bay side of CSB from the kayak in early july, not like Hilton head or anything, but quite a few.
No Idea wrote:The thing is walkindead, no matter how much DST does save and how many times we patch a hole in the bowl, April 30th aint ever gonna be late Summer. but thats still good info on the sharks, we caught quite a few on the St Joe Bay side of CSB from the kayak in early july, not like Hilton head or anything, but quite a few.
this is true...... i kinda spaced out on the dates part.... imagine that.... hehehe
Friday Cheer Through Pics

Youve that crick in your yard? Screw you heero. N[…]

Unlimited Almost a TR thread

Damn Joe, good stuff. And live music to boot. Chee[…]

Luau 2021

Travelling to Wyoming to go pike fishing is basi[…]

Jonny and his dream catch

Gramma Janes tits or GTFO

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine