whatcha tying?

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
P-A

Re: whatcha tying?

Post by P-A » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Welcome back Heero!! If you are going to norway tie upp some micro sunrays with a
wing lenght of 1,5-2 inches on a plastic tubes with a tungsten bead as weight behind
the goat hair. Best got damn salmo fly ever. :smile

You stuff look mighty fine also Nick, those to would get totally slain
by the big pikes up here in ultima thule.
:cool :cool
http://500px.com/P-ANilsson

That look total awesome in my eyes "Bruiser"

What made that hole in the middle of the pie?
Be honest, now... "Bob White"

yinzer - you know I'm a cop.
Kyle - I don't give a fuck.
yinzer - No, really, I'm a cop.
Kyle - No, really, I don't give a fuck. "KYLE"

nympho

Post by nympho » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:52 pm

DEET's flies kick ass and I'm always 2 weeks late catching them. DEET, feel free to PM me the directions on your woolhead posted here. It actually looks more like EP fibers than wool. But I like the volume created, and what appears to be a pretty simple tie
"Fucksakes. Nemo- tell the green ween to leave those tits up for a spell"...Salmotrutta

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:15 am

badcop wrote:Something for the whitebait feeders to think about.
Twinbait.JPG
Wish I still had that damn badger pelt left:coffee
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Badcop, SD, and Heero - nice stuff
:cheer
NICH wrote:I've been dreaming of large toothy bastards...This one is about 9-10'' long so not real huge.
Cool! Is this thing a tandem? Look like it due to the length.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

NICH

Post by NICH » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:23 pm

NeedmoreDEET wrote:Badcop, SD, and Heero - nice stuff
:cheer
NICH wrote:I've been dreaming of large toothy bastards...This one is about 9-10'' long so not real huge.
Cool! Is this thing a tandem? Look like it due to the length.
I secured a 100 LB loop of braided steel core line to the shank through the eye and Zap-A-Gap it. That way I can loop a stinger hook on or take it off while fishing. These are prototype flies for this spring so we'll see how they work (Hopefully in a couple weeks). I've haven't had a problem so far with missing them on a short shank hook but I've also never fished a fly this long...
"Did you hand a buddy your coors light and say "watch this" right before posting this shit?" Yard Sale

We've already discussed pissed stained goat pubes and their applications in fly tying... Do a search dumb@$$! JoshO

http://flyobsession.com/

FlyFish2

Post by FlyFish2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 am

I have a couple of 10", 12" and one 15" fly I use for muskie fishing. In my case i never need a tandem hook, if the muskie is going to take the fly well he is going to take the whole thing. And casting them is not too bad along as there is little to no rabbit fur on it. A 10" fly with rabbit fur running the body is deadly. My friend has a fly like that and uses a 12 wt to cast it. I am currently working on a fly that will set the hook further back will be 9" long with the hook half way down around 4-5" range. It will also have a bit of a rattle to it. The prototype I designed last year was destroyed by a muskie within the first 10 casts of using it.

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:16 am

Something from the past.
Attachments
P3110225.JPG
P3110225.JPG (93.32 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Last edited by Overcast on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 am

Laugh away, it looks like a car wreck or something that my 4-H group wrapped up, but this case caddis pattern is very effective.

Materials

Hook: Tiemco 5262 size 10-16 or any 2X long standard nymph hook
Thread: Gray 8/0 [or 14/0 Gordon Griffith for Glista or better.]
Butt: Synthetic Caddis green [singe with that lighter, you use so frequently.....cough]
Legs: Mallard Flank [see below for correct length]
Body: Dark or Natural Hare's Ear.[dubbed loosely like your X] with the taper reverse of most dries.
Tippett: 3X with over hand Knot [optinal] for attaching split shot, and yes I thought the same thing......... really. The trout just don't give a fuck.
Attachments
Case Caddis.JPG
Voted ugliest Fly of the Month
Case Caddis.JPG (73.97 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
The difference between sentiment and being sentimental is the following: Sentiment is when a driver swerves out of the way to avoid hitting a rabbit on the road. Being sentimental is when the same driver, when swerving away from the rabbit, hits a pedestrian.
~Frank Herbert~

ak_powder_monkey

Post by ak_powder_monkey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:15 am

I'll take a dozen Overcast, I know a trout or two up north that would love that thing :cool
Save Wild Salmon, Eat Wild Salmon.

http://www.akpmphotos.com

Overcast

Post by Overcast » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Alaska Sea-Ducer
Attachments
P3120028.JPG
P3120028.JPG (77.29 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
~Frank Herbert~

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 pm

I always enjoy checking in here to see the kinds of things everyone else ties and fishes. That cased caddis is neat, I thought WTF when I first saw the knotted mono, but it makes sense...
Overcast wrote:Alaska Sea-Ducer
Yum!

FYI - If you put the eyes closer to the middle of the shank and palmer around them, you get a little different action. The fly "shimmies" in more of a horizontal profile, than the "jigging" action you get with the eyes up front.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

P-A

Post by P-A » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:50 pm

That seaducer looks mighty fine outcast. :cool
I have been tying big trout flies for a friend, sealf fur and elk sculpins zonkers
on size 1 and 1/0 salmohooks. Takes on this flies in fast currents
are furrious.(only 2 months left now!!) Next are some emerger a la spiders.
:smile :cool :smile
Attachments
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg (87.55 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg (108.08 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
http://500px.com/P-ANilsson

That look total awesome in my eyes "Bruiser"

What made that hole in the middle of the pie?
Be honest, now... "Bob White"

yinzer - you know I'm a cop.
Kyle - I don't give a fuck.
yinzer - No, really, I'm a cop.
Kyle - No, really, I don't give a fuck. "KYLE"