Globalization and Foreign Policy Realism

BigCliff

Globalization and Foreign Policy Realism

Post by BigCliff » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm about halfway through this guy's latest book and he's convincing me that accelerating the pace of globalization is the best possible way to reduce the long-term threat of terrorism. (albeit with a few flare-ups in the process, of unknown severity)-

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/article.aspx?id=4845
If you thought the neocons were vanquished, disappearing along with the Bush-Cheney administration, better think again. Their mindset still animates most of what the GOP offers in opposition to President Barack Obama's magical apology tour. For while the president won a Nobel Peace Prize for his heartfelt mea maxima culpa, Charles Krauthammer & Co. see no reason to surrender America's two-decades-and-counting "era of maximum dominance" to the Chinese simply because Beijing holds the pink slip on our national economy.

First, some details.

At the heart of this struggle lie two diametrically opposed views of today's world: one that accepts globalization as the all-powerful shaper of human destiny, and one that does not, thereby leaving open the "choice" of primacy, in Krauthammer's vernacular. For Obama, globalization is an inescapable condition of profound interdependency -- the destroyer of zero-sum competition. But for Republican hawks, globalization is nothing more than the next playing field upon which fierce great-power competition and conflicts will unfold. In the minds of these "true realists," globalization has, to date, failed to change human nature. As a result, its perceived interdependencies amount to nothing in the face of determined ideologues -- themselves included.

The historical ironies here are rich. The neocons, who previously were the most triumphant revelers in America's decades-long role as bodyguard to freedom's advance, now express the most frantic Hobbesian fears about what globalization has unleashed. Meanwhile, the normally homebody Dems, as now embodied in the Kant-like calm of Obama, seem to absorb all these challenges as natural outcomes of America's recent success in accelerating globalization's expansion -- that serene Roosevelt-cum-Clinton-cum-Obama belief in America's dealmaking acumen.

To simply ascribe the difference to the right's "hard-headed" realism and the left's "woolly headed" idealism obscures the historical record. With no great-power war in over six decades, and classic state-on-state war virtually eradicated, we are now left with the weeds of civil strife -- and the terror groups they spawn -- spread across a host of fake states cynically left behind by Europe's 20th-century colonial powers. This is the proverbial hill of beans in a world that's seen global GDP increase approximately six-fold over the past three decades! As for the dawning era of "hyper-proliferation" that Krauthammer decries, we're still dealing with a whopping total of two emerging nuclear states (North Korea and Iran), the first since Israel (no. 6), India (no. 7) and Pakistan (no. 8) began knocking on that door in the latter half of the Cold War.

Indeed, on a per capita basis, humanity now enjoys the most peaceful and prosperous period in its entire history. FDR's "New Deal for the world" morphed into the post-World War II international liberal trade order, which in turn begat the free West, the global economy, and ultimately this thing of ours called globalization, with its frightening subtext of civilizational miscegenation -- aka, Americanization. Slap Obama's multiracial face on this package and, buddy, it doesn't get any better than this.
Again we spot the essential divide between a post-Cold War Democratic mindset that views the world primarily in terms of economics and interdependency, and a pre-globalization Republican mindset that dismisses all that peace-through-trade thinking as dangerous nonsense, still preferring to divide the world between political good guys and bad guys, with nary a strategic economic interest to unite them.

And it's no coincidence if that delineation suggests a generational break. That is just another aspect of the neocons' deep fears about America's future, as represented by our young president's non-ideological pragmatism.
A synopsis of the book and its ideas- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQFJM0_EdmY
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

SOBF

Re: Globalization and Foreign Policy Realism

Post by SOBF » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Big Commie,
When your done that book might I suggest you read this .

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 pm

SOBF, wouldn't it be more fun to try out something besides knee-jerk reactionary crap?

But you're right, there's no way the guy's worth listening to-
Thomas P. M. Barnett regularly advises the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), Special Operations Command, and Central Command, and routinely offers briefings to senior members of the four military services, the intelligence community, and Congress. Dr. Barnett is now the senior managing director of Enterra Solutions and formerly served as senior strategic researcher at the Naval War College and as assistant for Strategic Futures in OSD's Office of Force Transformation.
And this pinko named Hugh Hewitt must be a hater of America too- http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.a ... 5b5411b952

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:18 pm

wtf? Since when is globalization an issue of right vs. left?

This country has to become comfortable with the idea that we have to be an economy of ideas, of invention, versus an economy of manufacturing or it just isn't feasible for us to be in the top of the economic demographic. That's why it's important for us to be in the top of the Math/Science/Biology sectors. No Child left behind (except the exceptional) just won't do
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

eponymous

Post by eponymous » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:55 pm

globalization is also the flat our quickest way to fuck the planet up - if'n you beleive in AGW....jus' sayin'
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:47 am

SOBF wrote:Image
Big Commie,
funny, i thought the same thing.
III

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 am

m.b. wrote:
SOBF wrote:Image
Big Commie,
funny, i thought the same thing.
it's that globalism mentality that going to fucking kill this country.
III

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:57 am

m.b. wrote:it's that globalism mentality that going to fucking kill this country.
You're right, increasing free trade and transforming the world's economy to function more like our own has to be awful.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:07 am

befuddled wrote:wtf? Since when is globalization an issue of right vs. left?

This country has to become comfortable with the idea that we have to be an economy of ideas, of invention, versus an economy of manufacturing or it just isn't feasible for us to be in the top of the economic demographic. That's why it's important for us to be in the top of the Math/Science/Biology sectors. No Child left behind (except the exceptional) just won't do
When you stop in your average big box store, you see an awful lot of our population that are not going to be part of an economy based solely on ideas and invention. Unless we want to have huge numbers of people on assistance programs, or huge government payrolls of maintenance workers, I don't see how our country has anywhere near full-employment without a strong manufacturing sector.

I also don't think we can avoid a global economy. Corporations have little or no national loyalty, but they are driving most of the governments business/policy decisions.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Plow

Post by Plow » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:25 am

BigCliff wrote:
m.b. wrote:it's that globalism mentality that going to fucking kill this country.
You're right, increasing free trade and transforming the world's economy to function more like our own has to be awful.
That's funny, you got it backwards. We'll be transforming our economy to be more like the looser nations Obama looks up to (during and after the bow).
Better Reds than dead...

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 am

SLSS wrote:
befuddled wrote:wtf? Since when is globalization an issue of right vs. left?

When you stop in your average big box store, you see an awful lot of our population that are not going to be part of an economy based solely on ideas and invention. Unless we want to have huge numbers of people on assistance programs, or huge government payrolls of maintenance workers, I don't see how our country has anywhere near full-employment without a strong manufacturing sector.

I also don't think we can avoid a global economy. Corporations have little or no national loyalty, but they are driving most of the governments business/policy decisions.
The trouble with this is that most things found in various big-box stores are only likely to be manufactured here due to transportation costs. We're not likely to have electronics, affordable clothing or toys mostly made here any time soon because its so cheap to make them elsewhere. Cleaning liquids, drinks, lumber and such is likely only still made here because its not cost effective to ship it over from Asia. More expensive fuel prices might bring a few more jobs here, but it will cause production to switch from Asia to Mexico first.

Ignoring AGW, green energy is still likely to be the fastest growing manufacturing sector over the next 50 years, and this is the niche we need to take charge of. Fossil fuel energy is constantly becoming more scarce and expensive, and solar and wind power generation equipment is going to fill the needs of the developing third world because like cell phones, it requires much less infrastructure.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:30 am

Plow wrote:
BigCliff wrote:
That's funny, you got it backwards. We'll be transforming our economy to be more like the looser nations Obama looks up to (during and after the bow).
To clarify, are you opposed to free trade? Or are you trying to say that the President you bemoan for wanting to put greater controls on the health insurers looks up to countries that let industry get away with whatever they want?

Or is there no coherent thought behind it and you're just arguing with me and badmouthing Obama because it amuses you?