The Senate's Broken - Shelby puts a hold on everything

Mattb

The Senate's Broken - Shelby puts a hold on everything

Post by Mattb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:31 pm

This is just ridiculous. Sen. Shelby (R-Alabama) has put a hold on all of the Obama admin's nominees in an attempt to force a couple of billion dollars in pork to go to his home state. There's really no way to defend this. The republicans have turned obstructionism into an art form lately, but this one takes the cake.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Plow

Re: The Senate's Broken - Shelby puts a hold on everything

Post by Plow » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Mattb wrote:The republicans have turned obstructionism into an art form lately, but this one takes the cake.
In the same way cops are obstructionist to criminals. Flipping cops, always trying to keep us free safe.
Better Reds than dead...

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:57 pm

quit your fuckin' whining...

you precious democrats set a precedent for this shit with the Louisiana Purchase and the Nelson thing. they created it...

i'm no fan, but help me understand how the Rs have been obstructionists...seriously. with a super-majority that made them inconsequential up until brown's election, how've they been obstructionists?
III

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Matt,
That's the problem with these fuckheads. They do what is best for their own state and not what is in the best interest of the country. Did you balk about Nelson and Landrieu??
As far as being obstructionists the dems had a super majority and they needed no R votes and still could not get there stuff done...

Mattb

Post by Mattb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 pm

m.b. wrote: i'm no fan, but help me understand how the Rs have been obstructionists...seriously. with a super-majority that made them inconsequential up until brown's election, how've they been obstructionists?
Regardless of the fact that the dem's have been able to overcome filibusters up until very recently, a filibuster is still a huge time sink, and when the republicans are filibustering everything, nothing gets done.

From Ezra Klein:
To break a filibuster, the majority leader has to file for cloture. Then there's a two-day waiting period before a vote. Then there's a 30-hour post-vote debate period. And voting on one bill might require breaking multiple filibusters, because the motion to proceed to debate can be filibustered and the amendments can be filibustered and the motion to vote can be filibustered and each filibuster requires the same lengthy workaround. Even if you can crush every one of these filibusters without breaking a sweat, you've still just seen a whole week -- or maybe much more -- of the Senate's time chewed up.
The whole idea of requiring a super-majority to do anything is stupid, as Shelby himself argued back when the republicans were in power: http://shelby.senate.gov/public/index.c ... N=19350484
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mattb

Post by Mattb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:14 pm

SOBF wrote:Matt,
That's the problem with these fuckheads. They do what is best for their own state and not what is in the best interest of the country. Did you balk about Nelson and Landrieu??
I balked at Nelson and Landrieu, but I was willing to overlook it for such a nationally important issue. Shelby's not talking about a nationally important issue here, he's just pissed that he didn't get enough pork.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:19 pm

First off, its over $40,000,000,000 of pork, so those in the "cut the goddam pork" crowd might wanna re-consider.
m.b. wrote:quit your fuckin' whining...

you precious democrats set a precedent for this shit with the Louisiana Purchase and the Nelson thing. they created it...

i'm no fan, but help me understand how the Rs have been obstructionists...seriously. with a super-majority that made them inconsequential up until brown's election, how've they been obstructionists?
So now the proper response is "Y'all started it!"? And if the opposition has been so "inconsequential", then congress must have already passed health care including a public option, cap and trade, ended DADT, and sweeping financial regulatory reforms, right?

Get back to us when you have decided if the president has been a miserable failure who hasn't accomplished anything, or if he's free to do as he likes because the opposition is completely impotent. Both cannot be true.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:20 pm

no, the response was "quit your fuckin' whining about it." pay attention.

AYFKM? the fact that the Obama and the Dems got nothing done in a year with a super-majority and the press in his back pocket is the Reps fault? that's fuckin' classic right there.

he's a failure exactly because he didn't get shit done while the opposition was completely impotent. they didn't get shit passed cuz mericuns don't want what they're selling and a good number of the Dems know it and don't want to get voted out. it has nothing to do with the Reps.

a president who can't even get his own party behind him is a failure.

what would you all have said if Bush had not been able to mobilize his party and super-majority and press to stand behind him and accomplish at least some of his campaign promises?

what's awesome is getting you guys to defend him/them, say it isn't so, and blame the Reps right here for all to see.
III

Plow

Post by Plow » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Mattb wrote: I balked at Nelson and Landrieu, but I was willing to overlook it for such a nationally important issue...
So you can overlook screwing the country if its for something you think is important (even though the majority of Americans think otherwise). That doesn't sound like a principle our founding fathers put forth but I could be wrong.
Better Reds than dead...

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Plow, mb, et al. Why the fuck are you guys not running for congress??? You have all the ideas. You have it all figured out. You have all the answers, and you're always right. Come on. Help us our here. We need you.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

Plow

Post by Plow » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 pm

ditchdoc wrote:Plow, mb, et al. Why the fuck are you guys not running for congress??? You have all the ideas. You have it all figured out. You have all the answers, and you're always right. Come on. Help us our here. We need you.
Don't lump me in with Mb, ET and Al, I'm just making a comment on double standards and principles. Wrong is wrong if your right or left.
Better Reds than dead...

m.b.

Post by m.b. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:56 am

ditchdoc wrote:Plow, mb, et al. Why the fuck are you guys not running for congress??? You have all the ideas. You have it all figured out. You have all the answers, and you're always right. Come on. Help us our here. We need you.

Don't lump me in with Plow, ET and Al, I'm just making a comment on how impotent the legislative and executive branches have become and how comical it is that liberals blame the Republicans. Weak is weak if your right or left.
III