Leaders

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Smithhammer

Re: Leaders

Post by Smithhammer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:07 pm

I use knotless. For most situations, I just don't see the need to spend a bunch of extra time building them. I usually add a short section of tippet, one size down, at the end to prolong the life/length of the leader. Agreed on the Orvis knotless leaders - way too much memory. I've been happy with the Umpqua's, but I'm curious to try some Rio's.
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

flyfisheraa573

Post by flyfisheraa573 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:15 pm

Umpquas are good, but I haven't tried Rios. A long the same lines as this post, what about tippet preferences?
"Sweet Jesus. I'd rather be caught hammering my jojo in the confessional." - Ajax

WT

Post by WT » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:23 pm

For trout I usally start out with an SA 9ft 4x.n Carp,9ft 8lb bonefish leader, SA againn Salmon/Steelhead 12ft 12lb SA bonefish leader for a floating line and anything short and heavy for an intermediate or sinking line.n WT

FliesOnly

Post by FliesOnly » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:21 pm

For trout, I go with knotless tapered by umpqua or rio. Both are very good. I have tried tinkering tying my own leaders, but the pain is not worth the $.....Steelhead-I tie my own for indy fishing on our smallish rivers. I use Rio Flouro for this.
"yeah go and catch that big one over there, while i twist up another hooter. don''t fuck around too long though lunch is in 15 minutes and then it''s nap time."n ~Ginseng Sullivan "Guiding the private water"

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:10 pm

Tie my own, the Geo Harvey formula works well for dry fly fishing. Maxima for the butt section, any quality brand of softer mono for the transition sections and tippet. Never had much trouble with weeds on the knots.For steelheading, I use a 60% butt section, 20% transition, 20% tippet for weighted flies w/floating line.
"unsalvageably incoherent"

Caddisman

Post by Caddisman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:45 pm

I make my own furled leaders out of tying thread for dries, and mono (Maxima) for nymphs and steelhead setups. 15 minutes makes a leader that will last a few seasons instead of a few weeks, and they turn over and float down the lightest of dry flies or the clunkiest of wet flies...KERSPLASH!Bill

Dave R.

Post by Dave R. » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:42 am

Living where I do, we are somewhat limited on leaders. I use Orvis Super Strong and have not had a problem with them. But, prefer SA leaders when I can get them. For subsurface, I use a straight piece of Berkley Vanish.

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:42 pm

Here's a tip - If you fish flourocarbon tippets, instead of buying 100 yd tippet spools for twelve bucks or more, get a filler spool or two of P line flouroclear. The stuff works every bit as good as the Rio or Orvis and a 600 yard spool can be found most places for ten bucks or less. Then, just to be cool, spool the p line onto an empty rio or orvis spool and impress your friends.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Tue May 04, 2010 6:02 pm

bump
"Get back home where you belong, and dont ya run off no more"

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Tue May 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Wow the old guard was an interesting bunch. I just learned that if you tie tippet on the end of a leader you can extend its life
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Tue May 04, 2010 6:08 pm

West Chester wrote:Wow the old guard was an interesting bunch. I just learned that if you tie tippet on the end of a leader you can extend its life
Wonder how they would have handled the spammer?
"Get back home where you belong, and dont ya run off no more"

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Tue May 04, 2010 6:09 pm

gave him advice on mending or the proper way to rig a dropper
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo