kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By kollman
Thanks for the tip on getting the hair damp and then drying before trimming. I will have to give that one a try on my next bug.
By D-nymph
SLSS wrote:
Outside Bend wrote:

I'm not sure of the physics of it, but it seems to cause the hair to swell, and the body of the bug/head/whatever to become more dense. I just hold the spun body part to the spout of a teapot for a couple seconds with hemostats, it works.
OB's right. Ad water to something absorbent and it expands. When I get around to spinning deerhair I get all the bugs tied/spun and put them in a wire strainer before trimming. Hold them over a tea pot steam for a few seconds, bounce/mix them in the strainer, few more seconds of steam. Then let them cool and dry before trimming. If you trim right away the hair will be soft and hard to trim. Let them dry out and they hold shape and trim much nicer.

If your bugs/muddlers get mashed to shit, clean them up and steam them and they'll look near new. Same with most any fly, especially dries with good hackle.

Awesome tip, thanks guys.

Now that SLSS mentions restoring hackle, I do remember that tid-bit lost somewhere back there in the ole brain pan.
By tailchaser
SLSS wrote:
Outside Bend wrote:
D-nymph wrote:

Wait, what? This seems like a top secret deer hair trick? What do you steam with? What's it do to the hair to allow better trimming? Interesting.

I'm not sure of the physics of it, but it seems to cause the hair to swell, and the body of the bug/head/whatever to become more dense. I just hold the spun body part to the spout of a teapot for a couple seconds with hemostats, it works.
OB's right. Ad water to something absorbent and it expands. When I get around to spinning deerhair I get all the bugs tied/spun and put them in a wire strainer before trimming. Hold them over a tea pot steam for a few seconds, bounce/mix them in the strainer, few more seconds of steam. Then let them cool and dry before trimming. If you trim right away the hair will be soft and hard to trim. Let them dry out and they hold shape and trim much nicer.

If your bugs/muddlers get mashed to shit, clean them up and steam them and they'll look near new. Same with most any fly, especially dries with good hackle.

i never thought of this....

thanks guys
By shunned
I knew steam would put a fucked salmon fly wing back to it's original glory but I did not know the deer hair trick.

I shall now pretend I made this up all by myself.
ta.
By tailchaser
fucking works great!!!!

makes them way easier to trim!!!

thanks again
By steelhound
Going back in time, this is a kick ass fly and sbs
By overbrook
steelhound wrote:Going back in time, this is a kick ass fly and sbs
Hell yeah! Thanks SH, one of these days I need to take the time to peruse way back thru this section....there are probably nuggets of fuckin gold everywhere!

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/12/small-firm-lawye[…]

Ah Mark, Dog rest his soul. All he wanted for th[…]

come hell or high water tr

Good year SFB. Thanks for all you do for us on the[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Grey Corrib Muddler https://live.staticflick[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine