What rods should I take?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Dave R.

What rods should I take?

Post by Dave R. » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:39 am

Reading Creeklover's thread about where to go out West got me to thinking. My wife and I are planning such a trip the end of next August, early September. Most likely YNP.I have a 9' 6wt rod that I plan to take, but was wondering if I should also take another rod with me. If so, what weight and length? I have an 8' 5wt that I use allot around here for panfish.

bigtj

Re: What rods should I take?

Post by bigtj » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:49 am

Those two rods would work fine. I usually fish a 9' 4 and a 9'6, using the lighter rod for dries and the heavier rod for nymphs and streamers with some cross-over as conditions warrant. If you are going someplace notorious for heavy winds, like SE Wyoming, a 9'7 is nice to have, or you can over-line your 6-wt one line as long as it's not a noodle.On the lighter end of things, for small streams it's nice to have a 2 or 3-wt, but the 8'5 you have would be nice, too.-John

Jon

Re: What rods should I take?

Post by Jon » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:09 am

Definitely bring the second rod. If for no other reason than to have a backup if your primary rod gets broken. Remember - Murphy was an optimist....
"unsalvageably incoherent"