Lightfield Cameras?

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
NeedmoreDEET

Lightfield Cameras?

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Have you guys seen this? Crazy...

Check out the sample pictures. You can click enywhere in the picture and it will focus on that portion of the shot.

http://www.lytro.com/
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

Dude

Re: Lightfield Cameras?

Post by Dude » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Saw an article about this last night. These things are amazing. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the future of photography if they can work out any kinks that might exist.
Last edited by Dude on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why is it not surprising that this guy's name is "Quill Gordon?" For some reason, I doubt anybody named "Weighted Zonker" would threaten legal action 48 hours after signing on."- Nemo

"The reason I don't want to watch TV on my phone is the same reason I don't want to take a shit in my oven"

WanderingBlues

Post by WanderingBlues » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Fascinating and addictive. I'd like to see somone like OP review it.
A Street Preacher asked me where I wanted to spend Eternity? I said "Fly Fishing." He smiled.

illcentrifugal

Post by illcentrifugal » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:02 am

Dude wrote: Wouldn't be surprised if this is the future of photography
more like the demise of photography, in 3D, shot in HD RAW, 48 fps.

upshitscreek

Post by upshitscreek » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:41 am

illcentrifugal wrote: more like the demise of photography,
aw hell, we already stepped off that cliff a while back. might as well enjoy the wind in your hair on the way down. :cool

i looked at their gallery on the site hoping to be wowed. that was weak stuff. real weak.

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:25 am

I agree that the gallery on their site was pretty lame, but if you search around the web there are some other photographers using this system with pretty amazing results. It's nitch stuff I think. You still need to pick a specific point of focus for prints, but it's a game changer for on-line stuff.

It's only for Mac at present or I might have picked one up.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA