Lightroom 4 release and price cut spam

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
Plow

Lightroom 4 release and price cut spam

Post by Plow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:35 am

FYI:
SAN JOSE, Calif. — March 6, 2012 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced the availability of Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4 software for Mac OS and Windows. Lightroom is the essential digital photography workflow solution helping amateur and professional photographers quickly import, manage, enhance and showcase their images. First released as a public beta in January 2012, the final version of Lightroom 4 is now available for US$149 for the full version and US$79 for the upgrade, providing an incredible value for photographers. Lightroom 4 introduces refined technology for superior shadow and highlight processing, ability to create photo books, additional local adjustment controls, and enhanced video support.
Better Reds than dead...

locogringo

Re: Lightroom 4 release and price cut spam

Post by locogringo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm

oft proofing for printing as well. I will be ponying up the $79.

Did you send me a pano? If so, I can't seem to find it.

Plow

Post by Plow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 pm

locogringo wrote:oft proofing for printing as well. I will be ponying up the $79.

Did you send me a pano? If so, I can't seem to find it.
I was waiting for the upgrade, yeah, thats it, waiting for the upgrade.

Been too busy to even open LR over the last month, going upgrade this weekend and finally have some play time. I'll send you a pano that will ass rape your printer.
Better Reds than dead...

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Awesome. It needs a good ass raping every now and then. Haven't been printing much lately. I am remote this week with shitty internet service. Downloading a file that large would blow. Will be back Sunday.

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Plow, Loco-

I have been using PS6 since it came out. I am going to read up on it here shortly, but am I missing out on a great deal with not using LR?

Thanks guys.
"Won't you tell me, brave captain why are the wicked, so strong, how can the angels get to sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on." Tom Waits

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Ephemeral wrote:Plow, Loco-

I have been using PS6 since it came out. I am going to read up on it here shortly, but am I missing out on a great deal with not using LR?

Thanks guys.
Eph,
I have PS CS5 and LR. I do 90% of my stuff in LR. If you have a printer, the print module in LR alone is worth the price of admission. I use PS to make mirror edges for canvas wraps and to soft proof a print before actually printing it as LR did not have soft proofing before LR4. If the soft proof feature in LR4 is as good as I have read it is, I will be using one less feature of PS.

http://mulita.com/training/bnw/

The above tutorial is 37 minutes. Time well spent. Watch it if you can spare the time, even if in pieces. The B and W conversion is pretty damn good. You can work on color images pretty much the same way.

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Perfecto!

Thank you Loco,

I will be watching this tonight.
"Won't you tell me, brave captain why are the wicked, so strong, how can the angels get to sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on." Tom Waits

Pancho Rancho

Post by Pancho Rancho » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 pm

locogringo wrote:

Thanks guys.
Eph,
I have PS CS5 and LR. I do 90% of my stuff in LR. If you have a printer, the print module in LR alone is worth the price of admission. I use PS to make mirror edges for canvas wraps and to soft proof a print before actually printing it as LR did not have soft proofing before LR4. If the soft proof feature in LR4 is as good as I have read it is, I will be using one less feature of PS.

http://mulita.com/training/bnw/

The above tutorial is 37 minutes. Time well spent. Watch it if you can spare the time, even if in pieces. The B and W conversion is pretty damn good. You can work on color images pretty much the same way.

That made my head hurt.
Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish

Oh, and nice fishes. Randall Dee

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:00 pm

shhshh Panch', they don't know we're idiots...

Loco, that was pretty cool man. I am actually seriously considering kicking down for access to the rest of these tutorials. Very straightforward and fairly easy to grasp. A few more views of this one and I would feel pretty comfortable messing around with this. Really makes me appreciate the nuances that I was previously overlooking. I used method two for most of my B/W's, but I see that is not giving the photo justice. Thank you man, very helpful.

EJ

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks guys.
Eph,

LR has the same functionality as ACR in PS. LR 4 (and ACR 7) are a pretty big jump from the previous versions. The new Basic panel is a hell of alot easier to use and the ability to locally adjust white balance is a killer. If you shoot RAW and convert, LR makes a great organizer/converter, much easier to use than Bridge + ACR (for me at least), but basically the same functionality. If you shoot JPEG, I wouldn't bother. You can find other organizers out there for cheaper that are at least as good. I use LR4 + CS6 because I shoot RAW and batch process which is LR's sweet spot. I do my conversions in LR and then use CS 6 for the heavy lifting.

If you have access to a college student/faculty/admin/teacher etc. you can get teh academic version for pretty cheap.

T
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish