Waterproof Systems (with payment)

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
WanderingBlues

Waterproof Systems (with payment)

Post by WanderingBlues » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am

My camera has taken one too many dunks and dings. I'm thinking about going with one of the waterproof/shockproof systems and purchasing this week, ahead of a Sierras trip. Any have any opinion or feedback. I'm looking at the Panasonic, Olympus, and Canon stuff right now and leaning towards the Olympus TG-1 (fast shutter, will offer a waterproof fisheye attachment). I have around $500 to spend.

Thanks in advance... WB

A Street Preacher asked me where I wanted to spend Eternity? I said "Fly Fishing." He smiled.

SLSS

Re: Waterproof Systems (with payment)

Post by SLSS » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:10 pm

I've been really happy with my Canon D-10. I have the older one, that looks like it was designed by Capt. Nemo (the original Nemo, as opposed to the guy hanging around this board occasionally). The new one is more compact, which I think would be a
slight improvement.

This will be the first of several post to confuse the issue by everyone liking something different. :coffee

And that hat looks cute on the first girl.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

dropowar

Post by dropowar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 am

I've drowned two waterproof Olympus cameras in the last three years. One while snorkelling, which Olympus were kind enough to replace. The second while wading waist deep at the beach. Warranty had expired, unfortunately. My mate has a Panasonic which has handled some pretty harsh treatment and has the benefit of HD video and GPS. We've used it for underwater video footage and it's performed great.

Everyone will have different experiences and opinions though. Go for the which ever one you find the most intuitive to use.

shunned

Post by shunned » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 am

my olympus 770 is a piece of dinosaur shit.

but it's still going.
and it's good enough for relaying photogs to this rat's nest anyway. :coffee

you should let us caption that last one.

"I fucking told you. aussie is bad."
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 am

Just saw this on the chum this morning......
http://gizmodo.com/5916329/the-best-wat ... al-cameras

Warashi

Post by Warashi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 pm

For myself I decided it is a given we loose a camera to the water every now and then. Just see it as a sacrifice you'll have to give for taking all those trophy pictures and sweet memories back home. Some single pictures I have of trips or nice shots of a fishing buddy in a good scenery are more valuable to me than the entire camera.

The last year I have been walking around with a waterproof backpack, DSLR in another waterproof pouch inside of the backpack. It's terrible to take out and it lessens the urge to snapshot every fish you catch. But hey, that saves the fish some airtime.

The occasion where I just want a snapshot/point and shoot of something during the fishing I'll use my phone. There are lots of good cellphones with great camera's, take the iPhone for example. Lightweight, easy to stow away in a dry pouch and here in the Netherlands you can insure your Phone for a couple of bucks a month. That's handy!
you on the other hand are a like a shitstain in my underwear... your a little offputing, smell, and piss off the girlfriend... but your not really a full on turd, so i'm not gonna worry about it.. it will come out in the wash.. and you will dissapear like the other little shitstains before you...- Mad_Mike

http://www.thedutchfour.blogspot.com/

2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 pm

I like my Canon D10
http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/