This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By DeShootnestGent'man
I'm impressed by Marty. Regardless, it's refreshing to see a program documenting some semblance of self sustenance, broadcast on a relatively mainstream network. Eustice ought to sight his own flippin' rifles though, no excuses.

http://www.history.com/shows/mountain-men
By Yard Sale
Thems ain't no dick proenneke but it's a lot better than the forrest raping logging shows.

And do we really have that many gators?
By Veetch
DeShootnestGent'man wrote:I'm impressed by Marty. Regardless, it's refreshing to see a program documenting some semblance of self sustenance, broadcast on a relatively mainstream network. Eustice ought to sight his own flippin' rifles though, no excuses.

http://www.history.com/shows/mountain-men

His brother runs an outfit not far from me, salt of the earth type people. You might call them the real "shootnest gent'men". No short shorts
By cantfishforshit
I'm no expert but I do know a bit about rifles. From what I understand, everyone's zero is different. Asking another man to sight in your rifle is like asking him to borrow his glasses to see...his sight may not, will probably not be, the same as yours.
By DeShootnestGent'man
cantfishforshit wrote:I'm no expert but I do know a bit about rifles. From what I understand, everyone's zero is different. Asking another man to sight in your rifle is like asking him to borrow his glasses to see...his sight may not, will probably not be, the same as yours.
That's just it! While I think he's a solid cat to be sure, I was a little dismayed to see him claim his rifle "misfired" and blame the botched shot on the fellow who sighted his rifle. A neat show regardless, although I seriously doubt it's one of History's top billings. I'd like to see them all trade places and how each handled the unfamiliar environment.
By cantfishforshit
Yeah, I'm guessing some of those guys wouldn't fair too well in L.A. Probably why they went that far out in the first place. I am suprised that some of these guys don't do a little fishing. A smoked fish that has been dried in the sun really well will last for quite a while. I've shot countless rounds through M16 rifles. If a rifle is properly sighted in, there is no excuse to miss a deer that close. Hell, I can make that shot at 200 yards with open sights. He should stick to planting veggies if he's going to let some other person zero his scope.
Last edited by cantfishforshit on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Native Chaser
lol how the guy who depends on the sled isnt dead yet is beyond me. i mean, holly fuck. talk about the type of dude i wouldnt want to travel in the woods with..
By troutsmack
a round misfiring and missing a shot are two diferent things
I agree, sight your own damn gun, especially if your food and livelihood depend on it.
By CarpeTructa
The scene that made me scratch my head was where the Montana guy went out scouting for a spot to set some traps for otter. When he's been gone for just four hours his wife is calling his friend to go out looking for him. I mean, yeah, he's old, but what kind of "mountain man" has his wife calling people to go search for him when he's only been gone for a few hours? Not a bad show overall, but they do seem to be using the term "mountain man" a bit loosely. Living a ways from the nearest town and off the grid is not quite the same as what the real mountain men had to deal with.
By cantfishforshit
Well, he's pretty old and it was getting dark but you do have a good point. Now, the guy in Alaska has some stones! Flying that friggin small prop and living in that small cabin 200 miles from the nearest town...that's f'ing crazy. I think he's about the closest to the real thing that we have these days.
By K_P
TV drama boys.

The Montana guy is a half hour from me. I have nothing but respect for him and those who've chosen to live "up Yaak," but the program is heavy on hyperbole. The show says he has to go more than 100 miles to a supermarket. I count at least a dozen of them in that range, including a WalMart SuperCenter. The risk of grizzlies, cougars, and black bears, while present, is IMHO hugely overstated.

Lastly, the theme that he has to find a whitetail buck before the Yaak's 7 month winter sets in or "he might not make it" wouldn't be true even IF the winters were that long.

Entertaining, but let's not get too carried away here...
By fatman
K_P wrote:TV drama boys.

The Montana guy is a half hour from me. I have nothing but respect for him and those who've chosen to live "up Yaak," but the program is heavy on hyperbole. The show says he has to go more than 100 miles to a supermarket. I count at least a dozen of them in that range, including a WalMart SuperCenter. The risk of grizzlies, cougars, and black bears, while present, is IMHO hugely overstated.

Lastly, the theme that he has to find a whitetail buck before the Yaak's 7 month winter sets in or "he might not make it" wouldn't be true even IF the winters were that long.

Entertaining, but let's not get too carried away here...
yep :coffee

personally, I'm a Deadliest Catch fan....
ARGENTINA 2020 PART IV

w w w. Fakepassportonline.cc - Number one producer[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

birth control's come a bit late.

alive but shuffling.

Looks like you are having good days on the water m[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine