Staycation TR page 2 or 3 or something

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
LuckyBastard

Re: Marsh Donkey TR

Post by LuckyBastard » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:40 am

Good. I like. :cool
"Honey, one more cast, then we''ll go, promise..."

MEXICO RETURNS

Post by MEXICO RETURNS » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am

Hear that sound?...That was your ass doubling in size and your arteries hardening...Hope the butter withdrawl wasn't too harsh...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"...Steve Martin

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for being wasted at dawn"...Mexico Morrison

IRLy

Post by IRLy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:13 pm

I gotta find that stuff. I think the Richards is good, that's gotta be real good.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

IRLy wrote:I gotta find that stuff. I think the Richards is good, that's gotta be real good.
You can buy Poche's online but it's expensive because of shipping http://poches-market.myshopify.com/ . In their store in Breaux Bridge their stuff is cheap. There's certainly good Boudin to be had in and around New Orleans though.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

redfin89

Post by redfin89 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Solid.....looks like a scored a good tour guide for out there at the end of this month.

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Caution - I am starting with a grumpy old man warning.

As some areas have been hotspotted to their demise, I see a lot of interest moving in this direction. While some veterans have been doing this for a while in stealth mode, a few fly fishermen started attracting a lot of attention here. As a result, a bunch of newcomers started hitting this area with little to no experience in this environment.

My only point is that this river is unforgiving - unpredictable fog, boat/shipping traffic, the river itself. Sandbars form in the middle of some passes. Many "spillways" have rock jetties where they connect to the river that are just below water level. Etc., etc.... I'm sure you are getting my point. Our little skiffs were not made for this place, but on certain days they open up some pretty awesome doors for us.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to suggest that iRly is a "newcomer" or did anything wrong. I am suggesting that anyone that puts a little skiff in that river does so with a tremendous amount of respect for it.

Alright, preaching is over - I hate it and am not very good at it. Plug the jukebox back in and order another round.

BTW - awesome fish, nice skiff, delicious food, good company, glad to see you had a good trip! :cool

IRLy

Post by IRLy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Well said.

IRLy

Re: Staycation TR page 2 or 3 or something

Post by IRLy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:52 am

I usually like to roam a little farther on my multiday fishing trips, but this time weather and schedule forced me into staying much closer. I live under an hour away from mosquito lagoon and it is usually not an overnight trip for me. I had heard some good things about a place to stay on the water and decided that might be something new to try. I'll put the website at the end of the report to keep this from looking as much like an infomercial.
The first day started with a hearty breakfast, some more hearty than others. I need coffee in the mornings, other people, well other people may need something a little more cuddly to start their day.
The weather looked perfect and we wasted no time in getting out on the water. We have been plagued by high dirty water for the past few months. This has made sight fishing difficult to downright impossible. Then almost suddenly parts of the lagoon began to clear and the water drop to perfect levels for fishing. I think other fisherman had become just as discouraged as I had, this gave the fish a reprieve from the harassment that they usually receive. The fishing quickly became what I would consider to be about as good as it gets. Redfish were found in singles, doubles, schools and all were feeding aggressively. It was one of those days that helps get you through the bad times and fuels your daydreams when you can't get out.
When it was my turn to fish, we saw something a little strange swimming down a prop scar. Turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. A nice trout, made more special by catching it on a 5 weight I had brought more as an afterthought.
A nice benefit of staying on the water is you can fish until dark with no worry of getting home for dinner, helping get kids bathed, or any other domestic distraction.
A nice fire can be a welcome sight, especially after slipping off the poling platform and into cold water while fishing dock lights on a cold night. I won't bore you with anymore details on how I know that.
The following morning started off as beatiful as the previous evening had left off.
The plan was to fish until a friend of ours who would be doing some work in the area was able to be picked up and tag along with us for an hour or so. We scouted out some new areas, found the fish to be a little more picky in their offerings today. In typical fashion the friend was picked up and showed us how it's done in a matter of minutes.
So then we put him back to work.
After dropping him off to resume his work schedule, we buckled down and found that when fish sometimes turn down the offers you think make the best sense, just grab the fly out of your box that makes the least sense. First fish that saw the new fly acted totally different than any fish we had seen so far.
And a few others followed suit.
All in all it was a wonderful trip and the discovery of a great spot to stay on an overnight trip, even if it's still close to home.
www.mosquitolagoonfishcamp.com

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 am

what sort of fish was that trout thingy?

is it a hybrid?
could I be a retard?

seriously... never seen anything like it.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

IRLy

Post by IRLy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:14 am

It's just a very pale sea trout without a lot of spots. It isn't really normal looking. It was blind in one eye, it had sores and some other issues. If it allowed me to catch it, mental disorder is probable too.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:52 am

you made me google cynoscion nebulosus.

and I can be forgiven for not knowing. by me.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

The Volfish

Post by The Volfish » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:37 pm

hotspotter
Do I pay full price for every place I get to fish? Fuck no. - nemo