Musky Addicts Anonymous

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Yiman

Re: Musky Addicts Anonymous

Post by Yiman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:11 pm

That is an absolute beast! Wow. :cool

TX.

Post by TX. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Socks wrote:Get my e-mail? best I could do.
Yeah, thanks for trying.
That was about the best I could pull as well...
At least my witness to the fish hadn't met me until the the day before, that adds some cred :cool
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Aguirre

Post by Aguirre » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Too bad he graduated from SOBF film school.
I show off that picture a lot at work.
Big fucker that one was.
Taped both ways and witnessed.
:cool
"I've been blessed with many things in this life. An arm like a damn rocket, a cock like a Burmese Python and the mind of a fuckin scientist."
-Kenny Fuckin Powers

Yiman

Post by Yiman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Muskie Chronicles was what originally brought me here. A few weeks back, I read the entire thread before posting up my intro. I, too, am a MAA. Got my first follow with gear about 5 years ago. At the time I did not live where I could target them. About three years ago, I moved to where I could legitimately target them year round and have been doing so ever since. The 2010 and 2011 seasons came and went with many follows, but no dragons in the boat. This November that changed. I finally stuck a Musky and brought it to hand. Taped out to 39". On my 8 weight. Not bad for a first fish! There is no other species of fish that holds my attention like the Muskellunge. In my opinion, there is no comparison in freshwater. I just ordered the supplies to built a 10 which will be my main Musky cannon from now on. Here's to next year and more Musky chasing! :cool

Southern Musky

My buddy got a video of the fight, but I have yet to see it. He told me I just keep repeating, "GET THE NET, GET THE NET!" over and over. I bet I look like a Musky newb dumbass, but I still can't wait to watch the video.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:16 pm

TX. wrote:[report]Here's a cleaned up hero shot of that last fish:
Damn_Lucky%20115%20copy.jpg
Damn_Lucky%20115%20copy.jpg (270.69 KiB) Viewed 942 times
[/report]
Raffa could have soooo much fun with that picture. Awesome damn fish though, congrats.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

TX.

Post by TX. » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Redchaser wrote:
Raffa could have soooo much fun with that picture. Awesome damn fish though, congrats.
Ron,
I don't think Raffa has enough ink in paint shop to make a dick that big (and why would he, I'm already in the picture).
Thanks for the Kudos!
I am missing the far south Red fishery and may have to venture your way soon...Hope your baby girl had a great Christmas!

Aggers, no big. My bad for not explaining the polarizer to you.

Yiman, congrats on your first to the boat!
Just remember to give it a break every once in a while and go brook trout fishing to get your sanity back (and giggle instead of curse)...
BTW, I NEVER let anybody else net my fish. That way I don't have anybody to blame except myself if the fish is lost at the net.
(Well, I did once a few years ago when Maniac netted a brown for me pushing 40"...guess what happened? He was so dumbfounded (stoned?), that he didn't restrain the fish, and it slithered out of the net before a tape and a photo.)

If any of you local boys are trying to call me to fish (or crash) next weekend, our phone line went down today and they say it won't be until the 2nd before they can get a truck out here...Email, PM, or leave a msg on my mobile. Rivers' are blown out at this point and up to 3 inches of snow tonight.

Socks

Post by Socks » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:33 pm

I love that story never gets old

Kylemc

Post by Kylemc » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:35 am

TX. wrote: (Well, I did once a few years ago when Maniac netted a brown for me pushing 40"...guess what happened? He was so dumbfounded (stoned?), that he didn't restrain the fish, and it slithered out of the net before a tape and a photo.)
I laid on the bank and laughed while this went down.
"And sometimes both is required. We; the three of us were rather like the willow. Nothing broke us...Fucking Nothing..."

I forgot the rest.... your mom is a whore...WB25

TX.

Post by TX. » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 pm

So when Afton was ooot here a cooople weeks ago, we got to talkin' about muskie sticks.
We gathered our own opinions about what would make the absolute perfect muskie rod and came up with basically this:
Offer the rod as a 10/12# (11#).
S-glass/ IM6 composite.
Offer in an 8', 9', 10' length.
Extend the fore grip by about 3-4"s.
Big butt...not longer, just bigger.

...and nobody's makin' it.

So a little poll on muskie sticks...
For those that fish for them and don't catch (ie: casting all fucking day long for two years), and those that fish and do catch a few and actually have had a few take you to the timber...
What would be your perfect stick?

Is there even a need for a specialty stick for the Esox?
We feel there is.

Input?

southernstrain

Post by southernstrain » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:47 pm

I know I am not as experienced as most of you but as a guy who fished 10 out of 14 days trying to get his first musky I do feel I know what I would like to see in a musky blank/rod

First of all my stick is a pacbay tradition II 9' 10wt only threw it with a 550gr full sinker for musky

I'll start with the likes
1. Soft tip
2. Decent lifting power through the midsection
3. Great power in the butt section
4. Awesome for the tight close in shots I had to deal with

Dislikes
1. Mid section could have more power for lifting the full sinkers
2. Fighting butt hurts like a bitch
3. Less bounce in the tip
4. Heavy as a bitch

So in short I want a nice responsive tip section that's not stiff as a board. Steep taper into the bottom of the mid section and a beefy butt section for draggin big flies and heavy lines out of the deep runs. Keep the weight down low so it has a lighter swing weight. A heavier reel probably would have cured this but I was more broke then than I am now (i'm pretty broke). The feel you get from a soft tip is ideal as i could get an idea of when I bumped structure and needed to pause the fly, so I like the Im6/sglass theory. Glass down low would definately lower the swing weight.

I can't say I ever wanted a longer fore grip but I do agree on the fighting butt for sure. I always used the butt for a second grip on the figure 8's/ovals with the line locked under my top hand

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:02 pm

southernstrain wrote:
So in short I want a nice responsive tip section that's not stiff as a board.

Steep taper into the bottom of the mid section and a beefy butt section

The feel you get from a soft tip is ideal

I can't say I ever wanted a longer fore grip

I always used the butt for a second grip
Does Brandy know how you really feel? :wink
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

InTheDrift

Post by InTheDrift » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 am

I think a 9' #10 is about perfect for what we do here. The right 9' #10 seems to be a good balance between still being castable all day, and still having the power to throw the flies and turn the fish. I've been using an Echo3 for the last two years, and really like it. Great company to deal with too.

I'm not really sure I see the need to have 3 different lengths unless the rods, and applications for them are vastly different. I don't really see the appeal of the shorter rods (under 9'), particularly when a large percentage of fish show up deep at the side of the boat. I'm not a fan of having a niche rod that only comes out for certain situations because I always end up wishing I had another rod and end up fiddlefucking around instead of keeping my fly in the water. My experience has been that sticking to the fly and rig that you have confidence in moves more fish than constantly switching rods and flies.

I like the idea of the Beulah Surf sticks that some guys have been using, but haven't used one myself. Being able to take some strain out of casting and stirring a 13" fly around deep next to the boat certainly sounds like a good idea, especially after dealing with tendonitis early this year, and it seems that the 11' two-handers can help with that. I'm not sure about how bad accuracy would suffer with one though, and often times, that's the deciding factor with getting interest from river fish.

I think incorporating something to provide extra strength to the blank should be emphasized too. We've had a bad run with a couple of #10's that were super light, but exploded under the strain of moderate sized fish. There has to be a balance. Too light, and it seems like they can't take the stress of fighting a fish. If they're too heavy, they will wear you out and worse yet, can cause issues (tendonitis, etc.) that can sideline you for a while.

Extended grips are nice and all, but what purpose do they serve? I see the point on tarpon/bluewater rods that are more fighting tools than fishing rods, but how long can a pissed off musky really pull for? Most of my experience has been that they wear out pretty quickly. Adding more cork means more weight and more stress on the caster.

Same goes with the components. Most of the #10's on the market are overbuilt because they have to handle fish that can really pull and strain the gear. As a result, reel seats are heavier, guides are thicker, etc. Using lighter weight components (within reason) could help reduce the weight. Again, muskies pull hard, but not like a tarpon.

I think a 2 piece, reinforced 9' #10, with lightweight components (single foot guides, light reel seats, normal cork) would be ideal for what we are doing in my neck of the woods.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Lightweight + Musky
image.jpeg (32 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Last edited by InTheDrift on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.