Musky Addicts Anonymous

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
cantfishforshit.

Re: Musky Addicts Anonymous

Post by cantfishforshit. » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:40 pm

"other stuff" :cool :Roll Eyes
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

bullship

Post by bullship » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:32 pm

The weather has not been optimal.....hope to trade a beer for some deer when you're back down this way.

Chidester

Post by Chidester » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:50 am

cantfishforshit. wrote:"other stuff" :cool :Roll Eyes
Hope the research is goin well

Vito

Post by Vito » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Nice work on the southern tail, AA. :cool
"And now I am, against my better judgement, high at work." - jhnnythndr

Vito

Post by Vito » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 am

Bump...

Short video put together by my brother. There are some pike mixed in.

nfishl

Post by nfishl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:56 am

Vito wrote:Bump...

Short video put together by my brother. There are some pike mixed in.

This gave me a boner.

Yiman

Post by Yiman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

Sweet video.

I needed that after the other day getting my ass kicked by wind, rain, and no fish seen when I thought the conditions were going to be perfect.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:51 pm

quarstion: what are ya'll using for leaders?

I took my first musky trip yesterday by myself and just bought a couple steel leaders at walmart but figure some 40# flourocarbon would probably work. Just don't want to get cleaned off if I'm only gonna get a shot every now and then.

ON a side note I really enjoyed the heck out of it even though the river was still kind of blown out and I had trouble keepin a drift as I was alone. I think it will get better as I learn.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

Goldmember
Location: The Netherlands, that's not a f*cking part of Denmark

Post by Goldmember » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:06 pm

For Northern pike I have been using 80# fluorcarbon as the bite tippet. With steel crimps and a crosslock it's easy to use.
I've had 2 leader breaks because of the teeth so far in the last 4 years, not a bad average compared to my use of steel leaders before that. My buddy uses titanium and for flyfishing that is a very good alternative, since it doesn't show any signs of metal fatigue.

Vito

Post by Vito » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 am

B.M. Barrelcooker wrote:quarstion: what are ya'll using for leaders?

I took my first musky trip yesterday by myself and just bought a couple steel leaders at walmart but figure some 40# flourocarbon would probably work. Just don't want to get cleaned off if I'm only gonna get a shot every now and then.
This is just my opinion, but 40# is WAY too low. I've seen 80# sliced through easily. I always run wire. Even one bite off is would be too many for my liking. Not even for the sake of losing the fish, but for leaving a big fly in its mouth.

If you don't want bite offs and still want to use fluoro, 130# is supposedly the lightest you should go.

steelhyde

Post by steelhyde » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 am

Vito and I will argue this until our faces turn blue. He has a love affair with wire that I am yet to understand.

However, 40# is too light. Yes, you could get away with it - I know guys that do. But I've had bite offs on 100# (insert Vito saying "told you so"). With that said, I continue to use fluoro - just nothing below 80#. Above 100#, it's tough to tie knots. Below 80#, you're running the risk of bite offs and serious heart break.

If you get wire - get some that's tie-able. Do not get the kind with the whimpy snap swivel at the end. You'll lose flies and lose fish. Those things are cheap and don't deserve to be on the end of your line.

Vito

Post by Vito » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 am

steelhyde wrote:But I've had bite offs on 100# (insert Vito saying "told you so").
<nodding head in agreement>