This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Kylemc
I use 80# not that it has fucking mattered :bomb
By Tailer
I personally have a strong aversion to wire. You can do what I do for Wahoo, which should be plenty for Musky. 60# Flouro to the fly line. 16# class. A few feet of 60# as a chafe guard, then 12" or so of 150# Flouro to the fly. Put a loop in the first section of 60# for attaching to your fly line. Attach the 150# to teh fly with a crimp (good luck tying a knot in that shit). Connect everything else with sleeves made of JB Hollow Core a la wind-on leader.
By Hogleg
Killer shot there newschool
By B.M. Barrelcooker
Thanks men, got some 80#. Now I am working on my boat getting ready for the days when my rivers aren't blown out by these rains!! :roll: :roll: :oops:
By TX.
I had no problem turning over my leader and straightening out my fly at distances in excess of 80 feet.
Pffft. In a 50 foot wide stream, from the middle...with trees. Sounds like a used car salesman to me.
....and a 32" muskie isn't even gonna strain a 6 weight.

Check UPS on shipping for a 9 foot item, they rate it by the pound, it'll cost more than the rod IMO.

Nice fish BTW NSN.

I use 80#, but w/ a modified circle hook, always in the corner of the mouth...Always.
I've pulled a few out, but the ones I stick are stuck...Had some chafing after a few fish, but never a bite through.
But then, I'd rather get the eat and a bite through, than not get the eat at all.
But that's just me.
The eat is where it's at.
The fight 99% of the time; meh, big catfish.
By Vito
TX. wrote:But then, I'd rather get the eat and a bite through, than not get the eat at all.
This is an issue I have with using fluoro that can be bit/chewed through. One, I don't think it matters. They will eat when they want to eat. It could be attached to an anchor rope and they won't care, even with extremely pressured fish. Two, leaving a big fly in a fishes mouth just to get an eat is irresponsible. I'm sure I'll get blasted over that, but I'm just calling it how I see it. Its why I cringe every time I see someone suggest using fluoro under 130#.
By InTheDrift
Vito: what's your preferred wire and connection to the fly? I know Dahlberg swears by that twist melt thing that he does, but I think I've seen some swivels in your pics before?

I've been a 100lb fluoro guy for a while now and haven't been bitten of yet, but the chance is always in my head. I'd hate to leave a fly in a fish and have really been kicking around the wire idea lately.
By Vito
I'm a big fan of Surflon Micro Supreme. Its soft and easy to tie with. I've heard good things about the Rio Powerflex Wire Bite. I think they are the same or very similar. I think you'll like the softer wire materials. You definitely get better action to the fly compared to heavy fluoro.

I started using a snap last season (no swivel). Just easier to change flies, and not have to change the length of my bite leader every 2-3 fly changes.
By Adams
Go with flouro and use steelhyde's method ganked from the tarpon dudes using stretchers - pre-rig your flies with a section of flouro and tie a loop onto the end. Its easy to swap out flies - just use a loop to loop connection. No wasting of flourocarbon (although you'd think that a guy who worked for SA wouldn't let that get out. . .).

Screw wire, swivels, and snaps.
WTF, Hieronymus

I miss Steve. He was majestic.

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Denson’s Farmer Palmer https://live.st[…]

Impeachment pool

I puts yur flies in the fishes mouth for you http[…]

A Confession

The forecast called for rain, and it's a two mile […]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine