Musky Addicts Anonymous

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Kylemc

Re: Musky Addicts Anonymous

Post by Kylemc » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:25 am

I use 80# not that it has fucking mattered :bomb
"And sometimes both is required. We; the three of us were rather like the willow. Nothing broke us...Fucking Nothing..."

I forgot the rest.... your mom is a whore...WB25

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 am

I personally have a strong aversion to wire. You can do what I do for Wahoo, which should be plenty for Musky. 60# Flouro to the fly line. 16# class. A few feet of 60# as a chafe guard, then 12" or so of 150# Flouro to the fly. Put a loop in the first section of 60# for attaching to your fly line. Attach the 150# to teh fly with a crimp (good luck tying a knot in that shit). Connect everything else with sleeves made of JB Hollow Core a la wind-on leader.
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

newschoolnympher

Post by newschoolnympher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 pm

north eastern love in march

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Killer shot there newschool
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

Yiman

Post by Yiman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Nice! That's what I'm talking about. On the front hook. Killed it.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:10 am

Thanks men, got some 80#. Now I am working on my boat getting ready for the days when my rivers aren't blown out by these rains!! :roll: :roll: :oops:
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

RockinDaddyNotFromTN

Post by RockinDaddyNotFromTN » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:20 am

TX.

Post by TX. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:20 pm

I had no problem turning over my leader and straightening out my fly at distances in excess of 80 feet.
Pffft. In a 50 foot wide stream, from the middle...with trees. Sounds like a used car salesman to me.
....and a 32" muskie isn't even gonna strain a 6 weight.

Check UPS on shipping for a 9 foot item, they rate it by the pound, it'll cost more than the rod IMO.

Nice fish BTW NSN.

I use 80#, but w/ a modified circle hook, always in the corner of the mouth...Always.
I've pulled a few out, but the ones I stick are stuck...Had some chafing after a few fish, but never a bite through.
But then, I'd rather get the eat and a bite through, than not get the eat at all.
But that's just me.
The eat is where it's at.
The fight 99% of the time; meh, big catfish.
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Vito

Post by Vito » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 pm

TX. wrote:But then, I'd rather get the eat and a bite through, than not get the eat at all.
This is an issue I have with using fluoro that can be bit/chewed through. One, I don't think it matters. They will eat when they want to eat. It could be attached to an anchor rope and they won't care, even with extremely pressured fish. Two, leaving a big fly in a fishes mouth just to get an eat is irresponsible. I'm sure I'll get blasted over that, but I'm just calling it how I see it. Its why I cringe every time I see someone suggest using fluoro under 130#.
"And now I am, against my better judgement, high at work." - jhnnythndr

InTheDrift

Post by InTheDrift » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Vito: what's your preferred wire and connection to the fly? I know Dahlberg swears by that twist melt thing that he does, but I think I've seen some swivels in your pics before?

I've been a 100lb fluoro guy for a while now and haven't been bitten of yet, but the chance is always in my head. I'd hate to leave a fly in a fish and have really been kicking around the wire idea lately.

Vito

Post by Vito » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm a big fan of Surflon Micro Supreme. Its soft and easy to tie with. I've heard good things about the Rio Powerflex Wire Bite. I think they are the same or very similar. I think you'll like the softer wire materials. You definitely get better action to the fly compared to heavy fluoro.

I started using a snap last season (no swivel). Just easier to change flies, and not have to change the length of my bite leader every 2-3 fly changes.
"And now I am, against my better judgement, high at work." - jhnnythndr

Adams

Post by Adams » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Go with flouro and use steelhyde's method ganked from the tarpon dudes using stretchers - pre-rig your flies with a section of flouro and tie a loop onto the end. Its easy to swap out flies - just use a loop to loop connection. No wasting of flourocarbon (although you'd think that a guy who worked for SA wouldn't let that get out. . .).

Screw wire, swivels, and snaps.
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik