Misdemeanor?

BigCliff

Misdemeanor?

Post by BigCliff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:02 am

In Monday's incident, deputies arrived at the home around 10:35 a.m. The children's mother told investigators the brothers, 5 and 6, were playing in the front of the house in the 16800 block of Faring Road when she heard a shot fired, said spokesman Deputy Thomas Gilliland.

The mother, who was in another part of the house, rushed into the front room to find her 6-year-old son with a gunshot to his lower abdomen inflicted by a 9mm pistol that was unsecured in the room. Deputies recovered the pistol and other weapons in a closet at the home, Gilliland said...

No charges have been filed in the case so far, Gilliland said. If they were, the parents could face charges of making a firearm accessible to a child with subsequent death or serious injury, a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to two years of confinement.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/houston/art ... 110048.php
Leaving a gun accessible resulting in a kid getting shot is a misdemeanor?

WTF?
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Upsetter

Re: Misdemeanor?

Post by Upsetter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:27 am

It was an accident. Do you think the parents who messed up and now have a seriously injured kid are without remorse? But the police state always has to stick its fuckin nose in and make things better worse. Gotta get its cheese and prove its worth to all the safety moms out there. Make everyone "accountable"! Look left when you shoulda looked right will net you misdemeanor charges for dumbassery!! Thatll be a $500 fine, jail time deferred (cause its expensive and we cant make you pay for that), and dont forget about those court costs, including mandatory court sanctioned dumbass counselling!!

Makes me wonder what would happen today if an incident like the one where my 9yo brother ran my 7yo brothers foot over with the lawn mower (cause they were both being shitheads) were to happen. My ma probably would be charged with child neglect or some stupid shit cause she negligently allowed my 9yo brother to operate a dangerous lawnmower which directly led to serious injury (2 lost toes) for 7yo brother. Probably take her away in handcuffs from the ER and hand us over to child protective services. Fuckin ridiculous. :gun

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:51 am

I just find it completely baffling that such ridiculous negligence is considered a misdemeanor.

Then again, I'm also baffled by the paranoia that leads large grown men to be convinced that they need to constantly carry while driving from the suburbs to an office park, so what do I know?

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Hoping for felony negligence are you? :bullshit

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Upsetter wrote:Hoping for felony negligence are you? :bullshit
Yup. Whats the difference between leaving a gun out for kids to play with and driving a kid around drunk?

I'm more surprised you try to defend this shit...
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:07 pm

yard4sale wrote:
Upsetter wrote:Hoping for felony negligence are you? :bullshit
Yup. Whats the difference between leaving a gun out for kids to play with and driving a kid around drunk?

I'm more surprised you try to defend this shit...
Exactly.

But we forget that the reasonable character known as Upsetter transforms into Alex Jones when firearms are discussed. :Roll Eyes

canook

Post by canook » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Hey, as long as the parents feel bad about it...

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Pretty sure the parents will never forgive themselves. If you take solace in that FUCK YOU

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:15 pm

I dont defend it. Those parents fucked up, plain and simple, shouldnt have happened. What I argue against is the overreaction everyone has when its firearms. That shit should be felony child endangerment! Right, cause that is just what that family needs - for mom to be a felon. That'll really help that family get back on track after the tragic mistake they experienced.

Given the rabble on this board and the "bad deeds" admitted to with pride on a regular basis...sounds like hypocrisy to me. Apparently, stupid shit that we do is just that...harmless enough...till someone gets hurt...but even then it was all in good fun, no malicious intent. And I agree.

I think that you should learn from your mistakes...its like the human version of survival of the fittest. But facing crushing life blows from the police state when you are already in your own personal world of remorse, guilt, and shock is worthless in my view. If you show no remorse for your actions, then fine, punish away, for you either already are a sociopath, or well on your way, and need to be culled.

Everyone makes mistakes, including many good people, and for all we know those in the OP were good people. That the state is there to curb stomp your life after you already have hit rock bottom runs counter to my way of seeing things.

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:53 pm

I hear that, and usually I'm the last one to want more rules. But I also feel like law can be preventative as well. Would these parents have locked up their gun if it was a felony to not have it in a safe? Maybe, maybe not.

What if it wasn't their kid that got shot but his friend? Or their neighbor?

I'm all for responsible gun ownership. But ownership comes with high responsibility and when you don't honor those responsibilities you should pay a heavy toll.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

canook

Post by canook » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 pm

SOBF wrote:
Pretty sure the parents will never forgive themselves. If you take solace in that FUCK YOU
That was a shot at Upsetter for dismissing the incident as long as the parents felt remorse, and then turning it into yet another get-your-hands-off-my-guns screed, dumbass.
And what makes you so sure the parents will never forgive themselves. They were the one that left a loaded gun unattended in a room where kids were playing. Not exactly parent of the year nominees.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:08 pm

I dont defend it. Those parents fucked up, plain and simple, shouldnt have happened. What I argue against is the overreaction everyone has when its firearms. That shit should be felony child endangerment! Right, cause that is just what that family needs - for mom to be a felon. That'll really help that family get back on track after the tragic mistake they experienced.

Given the rabble on this board and the "bad deeds" admitted to with pride on a regular basis...sounds like hypocrisy to me. Apparently, stupid shit that we do is just that...harmless enough...till someone gets hurt...but even then it was all in good fun, no malicious intent. And I agree.

I think that you should learn from your mistakes...its like the human version of survival of the fittest. But facing crushing life blows from the police state when you are already in your own personal world of remorse, guilt, and shock is worthless in my view. If you show no remorse for your actions, then fine, punish away, for you either already are a sociopath, or well on your way, and need to be culled.

Everyone makes mistakes, including many good people, and for all we know those in the OP were good people. That the state is there to curb stomp your life after you already have hit rock bottom runs counter to my way of seeing things.
AGREED