Misdemeanor?

Muddled Duck

Re: Misdemeanor?

Post by Muddled Duck » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 am

Cary wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:
Obviously kids that age shouldn't have access to handguns. They also shouldn't have access to household chemicals, tools and a legion of other things to which they have daily access.
yeah, but playing Cowboys & Indians with a can of Drano just looses its appeal.
Hard to argue with that, yet poisoning ranks VERY high in causes of accidental death in children while gunshot ranks VERY low.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:07 pm

In 2012, 78 children (0-17) in the United States died from unintentional firearm-related injuries. Unintentional injuries from firearms represent less than two percent of all firearm deaths in the U.S., but made up 24% of firearm related deaths inn 2012 among children ages 0 – 14. Guns are in more than one-third of all US households, and most firearm incidents occur when children are playing with weapons or showing them to friends. The easy availability of firearms is believed to be the number one risk factor for unintentional firearm deaths.

In the United States, 851 children (0-17) died from drowning in 2012. Seventy-one percent of those were boys. There is also disparity in drowning for African-Americans, particularly African-American children ages 5-14, who drown at three times the rate of white children of the same ages. Toddlers, especially boys under age four, are at highest risk of drowning. More children ages 1-4 die from drowning than any other cause except congenital anomalies. Toddlers, though curious near water, are not able to comprehend the potential dangers. Children living in rural areas are also at higher risk because of their proximity to open bodies of water. Most child drownings occur when a supervising adult is distracted.

Accidents due to other causes include poisonings, falls, electrocutions, sport and agricultural injuries and other manners of death in which the cause was unclear to the medical examiner/coroner. In 2012, there were 889 child deaths in the U.S. (0-17) from unintentional injuries not discussed above. Poisoning deaths are most often due to the inattention of parents or other caregivers. Over-the-counter or prescription medications are the primary source of poisonous substances, and more than 90% of poisonings in the U.S. occur in the home. Other sources of poisoning for children include vitamins with high iron content, household cleaning products and carbon monoxide.

In the United States, 271 children (0-17) died from fires or burns in 2012 (29 of these deaths were homicide). Over half of the children who died were ages 0-4, and over half again of those were boys. Small children are less likely to recognize the dangers of playing with fire, more likely to hide once a fire breaks out, and less likely to have been taught home fire escape.

https://www.childdeathreview.org/reporting/

Plow

Post by Plow » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:01 pm

We need to ban swimming and fire.
Better Reds than dead...

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:25 pm

"The easy availability of firearms is believed to be the number one risk factor for unintentional firearm deaths."

"Poisoning deaths are most often due to the inattention of parents or other caregivers.'

Yeah, no agenda there....
"unsalvageably incoherent"

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:43 pm

The availability of firearms is a public health issue dontcha know. :gun

CharlieJenkem

Post by CharlieJenkem » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Master of karate and friendship for everyone.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:59 am

On a bright note, I hear TX is moving toward "campus carry" and Wyoming is seriously considering doing away with carry permits. The theory is that if it's legal for you to own a gun, how (and where) you carry it is your own fucking business.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Pretty funny now matter what side you're on!

You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Plow

Post by Plow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:16 pm

yard4sale wrote:Pretty-funny no matter what side you're on!
Fixed

That was funny and made the point.
Better Reds than dead...

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Ha!

Although I'm not sure I'd call either of them pretty. The on in purple might pass as fukable...
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 am

That video is definitely funny but also hits the mark hard with me.

I learned that lesson from a similar, non-sex toy related incident, a few years ago. It was a huge wake-up call for me.

My wife and I do not have children and basically never, or very rarely, had/have children in our house.

When kids are around I always put my weapons in the safe. When they are not, I always have my bedside weapon at the ready.

I thought I was all set with that plan and had nothing to worry about. Then one day I had cause to come home in the middle of my work day for some reason. Thank God for that. It was a serendipitous moment I think.

I walked into my house on a day when there were some strangers in my home. Turns out they were just housekeepers there legitimately. They were newly hired by our good friend who has been our housekeeper forever. She had been a "one person operation" for years but suddenly got busier and had hired some staff to help her without letting us know. This was something I had never thought about or considered before in relation to firearm safety. What I discovered that day was something that I'll never forget.

There were two very young children in my home that day, basically unattended by their mothers who were doing the cleaning. I was already and immediately thinking "oh shit, the gun" as I raced into my bedroom and saw that one child was indeed mere inches from a loaded firearm that I keep at my bedside, headed right for it.

This particular child was far too young to get that weapon into battery I'm sure but I almost vomited right then and there. It was a profound moment in my life. I felt horrible. I hate to think of the potential consequences if that child had been 2 or three years older. "If they can find it they will play with it". The possibilities are horrific.

The take-home message is this: don't ever make any assumptions when it comes to firearms safety in your home. Keep your guns locked up when you are not around or in control of them.

Period.

Always.

Don't find out the hard way what could possibly happen.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks Hogleg, hope some others can learn from your experience instead of having to almost "piss on the electric fence" for themselves.

I heard a related story this morning, with a different angle on the "in control" part.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.