PSA: Religious LIberties

cantfishforshit.

Re: PSA: Religious LIberties

Post by cantfishforshit. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Muddled Duck wrote:
canook wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:I'm for private business owners having the right to refuse business to anyone.
yeah, fuck that all people being equal nonsense. Who was stupid enough to suggest that in the first place.
The fuck does "all men are created equal" have to do with it? The government should NOT be allowed to discriminate, but I have a different opinion regarding private business.

So, we should be able to refuse blacks a seat at the counter?
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Indiana can pass whatever law it likes. I think they may change their tone when most large businesses pull out. NFL, NCAA, NBA, etc, etc. Just from sports thats a lot of coin. Maybe they should have called Arizona first?
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

cantfishforshit.

Post by cantfishforshit. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:27 pm

“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:49 pm

cantfishforshit. wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:[quote="canook"

yeah, fuck that all people being equal nonsense. Who was stupid enough to suggest that in the first place.
The fuck does "all men are created equal" have to do with it? The government should NOT be allowed to discriminate, but I have a different opinion regarding private business.

So, we should be able to refuse blacks a seat at the counter?[/quote]

Why single out "blacks?" It's a poor business model, but that's not the government's business.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

canook

Post by canook » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Actually, aren't civil rights exactly the federal government's business? Isn't that why Johnson sent the National Guard into the South?

I may not be up on my 'Murican history, but that's the way I remember it.

canook

Post by canook » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:21 pm

yard4sale wrote:Indiana can pass whatever law it likes. I think they may change their tone when most large businesses pull out. NFL, NCAA, NBA, etc, etc. Just from sports thats a lot of coin. Maybe they should have called Arizona first?
see: Arkansas governor gets told by Walmart to change the state's law concerning 'religious freedom' - and immediately complies.

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 am

canook wrote:Actually, aren't civil rights exactly the federal government's business? Isn't that why Johnson sent the National Guard into the South?

Certainly arguable, but I doubt troops would have been sent had the issue been segregation in private business. Things like segregated public schools, public transportation, public sector jobs, voting and the right to peaceably assemble and protest were a bit more of an issue. Throw in a few brutal nut jobs inclined to blow up churches and murder innocent people they disagreed with, and you have reason for the feds to get involved.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:18 am

canook wrote:
yard4sale wrote:Indiana can pass whatever law it likes. I think they may change their tone when most large businesses pull out. NFL, NCAA, NBA, etc, etc. Just from sports thats a lot of coin. Maybe they should have called Arizona first?
see: Arkansas governor gets told by Walmart to change the state's law concerning 'religious freedom' - and immediately complies.
"BENTONVILLE, AR—Despite Governor Asa Hutchinson’s refusal to sign a controversial religious freedom bill that seemed to permit businesses to discriminate against homosexuals, officials from Arkansas-based retailer Walmart announced Wednesday that they would nevertheless continue defending whichever gays buy their cheap shit. “It’s important that any gays who come into our stores and blow money on some horribly constructed ironing board do so knowing that we stand with them in solidarity,”"
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 am

canook wrote:Actually, aren't civil rights exactly the federal government's business? Isn't that why Johnson sent the National Guard into the South?

I might be wrong, but wasn't that done to make sure that black students could enroll and attend a government run institution (i.e.: Schools)
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 am

canook wrote:
Tax dollars, they speak loudly.
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:14 am

All this religious restoration stuff brings up a whole lot of questions for me.

Such as:

If a baker refuses to bake a cake for a ghey, where does that leave bi-sexuals? Do they at least get half a cake?

Whatabout someone who just "dabbled a bit in college"? Do they get a cake, but no icing?

It sounds like Indiana is working feverishly to answer questions such as these, and I hope they do.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

cantfishforshit.

Post by cantfishforshit. » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Muddled Duck wrote:
cantfishforshit. wrote:
Muddled Duck wrote:[quote="canook"

So, we should be able to refuse blacks a seat at the counter?
Why single out "blacks?" It's a poor business model, but that's not the government's business.

I'm fairly certain its the feds business to protect constitutional rights.

-Hindu Fisherman