Extended range....TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
cornholio

Extended range....TR

Post by cornholio » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:02 pm

[report]Time for our yearly family roadtrip. When I suggested earlier in the year that we go on a long-ass roadtrip, no one blinked an eye. And no one asked for a lot details either. All we know is that we’re getting the fuck out of town for two weeks and drive several hundred miles to our loosely targeted destinations. We like getting out of town, but this will be the first time that we won’t be spending most of our nights in hotel rooms. As the date got closer, we quickly realized that we don’t have any camping gear. One smelly sleeping bag and an old moldy 2-person tent was all we had. So off to Wallyworld to buy a big-ass tent, some cots, chairs, sleeping bags, stove, lantern, etc. And the excitement and apprehension started building. We haven’t really camped out as a family and I’m not sure how they’ll be able to handle several nights of no running water or wifi.
A few weeks back, I posted up some googled T&A and shamelessly begged for fishing help. I got a shit-ton of info and I had wild dreams of fishing most of the waters suggested. Planned and mapped out as much as I could, optimizing fishing time as much as possible with the family kinda going along with the plan. But deep down inside, I knew that the real boss in the family will ultimately decide what we do. I knew that my carefully mapped out plans were mere suggestions.

Set-up all the newly-bought camping gear in the backyard and did a dry run prior to the trip. Everything looked good.

So off we went on a Sunday morning. Blasted through CA and NV. Didn’t see much:

10+ hours later, we found ourselves in scenic Idaho.

Checked into a hotel that night and enjoyed what would be the last night of sleeping in comfy beds, running water and free wifi.

Did some sightseeing through the Sawtooth byway the next day.

Checked out a hatchery along the way and watched the locals pluck out some big ass salmons out of a small stream, several hundred miles from the ocean.

Passed some good looking water with thermal features. The kids did that they do best while I flailed away and got skunked. That would be the only time I get to wet a line in ID. So much for my well laid plans.

Then made our way to an area with cool volcanic features and started camp life.

Did some sightseeing and xploring:

Then started heading east. Passed by an old nuclear power plant:

Made a stop at the ‘tater museum:

Kept heading east and made our way here:

The next few days were all about camp life, touristy shit, and a little bit of fishing. It went something like this:

Spent some time in town on the 4th. Got to watch a parade, eat some ice cream, watch a movie, shop, people watch….city life stuff:

Ended up cutting the trip short by 4 days so one more day of sightseeing and a bit of fishing:

What an awesome time. Stunningly gorgeous country out there. Thanks again to all who generously offered some kick ass fishing info. I got to use about 0.01% of it. Methinks I’ll be back but with a lot more fishing in the cards.
Logged about 2500+ total miles on the truck so we definitely extended our roadtrip range this time around.
The scenery and fishing was good and all but the highlight of the trip was the camping. Had an awesome time hanging out at the camp and for several days we forgot about tablets, emails, texts, etc. Just hanging out in the great outdoors was what we needed to escape the daily grind.

Back home after 9 days on the road and had a few days to get settled back in to our normal routines. Wife shopped, the kids are again glued to their tablets, and I snuck out to fish the local waterways for a couple of days:

Not a bad two weeks away from work.

Laters.[/report]

foureyedgeek

Re: Extended range....TR

Post by foureyedgeek » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:06 pm

cornholio wrote:[report]Not a bad two weeks away from work.[/report]
I'd say not. Thanks for sharing!
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Stellar...just stellar...
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Good shit buddy. I know there was going to be pictures of Buffalo getting it on before I even opened the thread.

You guys slayed em Sunday, I am jealous as I have not been out as much this summer as should have.
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

Thrillbilly

Post by Thrillbilly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Most excellent :cool

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm

really great report. what a nice job to go on such a sick vacation with your family, thats beautiful. glad to see your kids playing board games, thats the good shit right there. camp life for ever.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

dolomieu

Post by dolomieu » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:26 pm

sometimes I lose faith in the direction of this country...and then I read this and I realized there is still plenty of hope.

Very, very nice!!!

kish

Post by kish » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Top notch shit! Lucky kids.

P.S. Happy potato week.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Man that was nice, and that's some fat LMB you've got on the local.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

When you Central Valley boys get away, you do it right. Wish I had it all to do over again. Cherish the family road trips.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:59 pm

Nioce!
Where can I buy some wanderlust?

root wad

Post by root wad » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:01 pm

WB, I'm with you on the getting to do it over again. A good bit of Americana right there, the best part of it.
Life is a whole lot more simple when you plow around the stump.
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."