Cutting Tools

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Redchaser

Re: Cutting Tools

Post by Redchaser » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:15 am

T.J. Brayshaw wrote:Any of you knife-o-philes have a good suggestion for where I should list a fancy hand-made knife for sale? My father is trying to unload a Jimmy Lile drop point. I think this particular knife is worth about a thousand bucks.
Try http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/99/
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks Red, will do.

(PS. I shipped a reel to you yesterday.)

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:34 pm

T.J. Brayshaw wrote:Any of you knife-o-philes have a good suggestion for where I should list a fancy hand-made knife for sale? My father is trying to unload a Jimmy Lile drop point. I think this particular knife is worth about a thousand bucks.

PM Horn_Identity, he'll buy it.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Hogleg wrote:

Ha,ha. Nice try Hogleg, but no. I've moved on to something else, like watches.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Horn_Identity wrote:
Hogleg wrote:

Ha,ha. Nice try Hogleg, but no. I've moved on to something else, like watches.
Don't tell WB25, you'll never hear the end of it.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Horn_Identity wrote:
I've moved on to something else, like watches.
cool folk call them kettles, mate.

anyway... lemme see.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:01 am

[report]Oh I forgot that's what it's called around here. So kettle it is. Anyway, just a total noob to the kettle world so I'm just baby steppin hoarding a handful of inexpensive kettles. I'm trying out different straps, bracelets, minor mods and eventually doing some internal mods.

Here is one kettle example..... a waterproof kettle for what we do around here so I got me the ubiquitous Seiko SKX007. It gets the job done for a relatively low cost. It's a pretty versatile kettle imho.

I made another leather strap for it the other day, just a single piece amateur hack job with a button stud and it gets the job done.

Eventually my goal is to make a strap for it like this one...

Really dig the bracelet I have for it....

This kettle I got from the house boss this xmas

I also made another strap for it...

Like I said, amateur job but gets the job done securing the kettle.

This kettle looks best with this strap

Another diver I added a cyclop to help my aging eyes.

Well, there you go with samplers from my new obsession. I still have all my knives and surely I'll be adding more but wanted to try something different. Still much to learn about the kettle, Japanese movements, Swiss movement, and the kettle industry in general. Anyway, much respect to those who makes their own knives.

Sorry for the interruption with this kettle post on this sacred thread. Where is the kettle thread btw? I'll move this post there if there is one.
:cool[/report]
Last edited by Horn_Identity on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:13 am

My old man's Jimmy Lile Big 7 drop point hunter...

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:21 pm

That is a very elegant blade.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Top 3 knives are a Boker Bushcrafter, a heavy duty camp knife at 3\16" thick, a Kellam Puukko knife, and last is the ol' Buck 110, a must own that I replaced. The bottom 4 knives are knife blanks I bought and finished with handles. The blade is the easy part here, the handles have been my undoing. Top 2 are traditional birch with spacer of antler on the one. Bottom 2 are from birdseye maple. I didn't go much for fit and finish here, just wanted to get a good handle profile and fit. You can see where the blades are chipped and scratched....from removing epoxied on blades to start handles over. My own blades that I cut out of bar stock are just as nice as these...like I said, the blade here is the easy part, grinding is not too hard as I use a jig...these were all about the handles.

"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Very nice collection there fishpimp. :cool

kish

Post by kish » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Nice work on those handles. I'm not planning on bolsters or multi-material handles for a while.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley