the last ride of the starcraft.

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
ironman

Re: the last ride of the starcraft.

Post by ironman » Tue May 03, 2016 9:24 pm

This is gold from the CL ad. So funny, Chad. And great TR.

"Give me a ring, its pretty ratchet, but make it happen and all your modest camping dreams can come true. If you want to haggle, my sister and brother in law have a broken down station wagon they are trying to get rid of. Didn't say what direction the price moves should you agree to a package deal. We can talk about it. All the best.

PS - If you are blumpkin, you will get a 100% discount on the camper. If you are E, you will get the same discount with certain stipulations. Again, we can talk about it."
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 pm

the envy of plumbers, the scourge of mice.

saturday

yawn.

good maple syrup. ham at every meal.

i had to run out on saturday morning for opening day ceremonies. the rug rats bum rushed me as soon as i came in the door. that felt great. i stunk like all hell, but i took the time to brush 2 days of ham out of my teeth. as coach of my little man's instructional team i could not let those little troops down. it was a really beautiful morning, as coach i got my boy my old number, ten.

scarfed a hot dog and watched one round of bounce house jamming. then begged off. it was moving day in the race for troutman of the year. i had several spots to fish and it was past noon when i arrived back at camp. there were shitloads of acorns in our campsite. i mean like shitloads. i duct taped acorns to my nibs as a joke, which made my uncle crack up, as did the product i presented him with. i made it from a walmart de-hooker, a photo of jim, and my fly tying scissors and super glue.

i went out and frantically searched for a decent trout. but all i got were some 12"ers. i was in a rush to fish 3 places along the river. before the kids and wife came over for the fish fry around 5pm.

found in one tree.

token.

it was poor fishing conditions. bluebird and shit. nothing happening on top. it was after that token that i did my annual head washing. when it is warm and you have been wearing your filthy hat for 3 days it feels good as hell to take that hat off and lathe up cold river water over your head. rub it in to your hair. rub it into your beard. do it again. scratch your matted hair in the sunshine. blow the excess from your lips. wash your face good in river water.

i started working my way back to camp. its a slow roll down route 198 beside which the natchaug river flows. i missed the fishing at what we call the hang out spot, a big dead hole in the river where occasionally giant trout lay out. my brothers and friends went there, they didn't get anything big. but everyone caught fish.

i went to the old bridge on my way back to camp, its close to camp. late day saturday you start realizing that the trips done, it is a relief for me in a way, i am resigned to not winning the troutman of the year award. i just have fun and catch a couple more stockies. one of which i dispatched since i hadn't taken a limit today.

sobf was here

i was scarcely out of my waders when the kids busted into the camper. my 2 brought their 3 cousins and my sister and mom. for the fish fry. my wife made us a giant mac and cheese since dave west, the pussy, didn't show up this year and he always makes the mac and cheese. it is a meal i cherish. my brother makes chilli, dave west mac and cheese, ted lard fries the trout filets into fish sticks. there was also goose breast and bbq venison.

we hit the playground.

dada i cly mmmm bin.

can i get just one decent picture?

dinner

somebody found a dope ass brown snake. my daughter said, hi snake.

crazy mike won troutman of the year for 2nd year running, a 15 and 3/4 incher. good for mike, he lost his wife this year and he's adapting to a new life. i hope to be able to fish with him and crazy ronnie soon. they are quite the pair. its really good to see how good of friends they are. a long friendship.

the kids began to chuck rocks into t bag's money shot spot. poor finley got a giant splinter in her foot. nobody had any tweezers. the kids eventually all took off and i realized how much i couldn't wait to see them tomorrow afternoon. back to normal life. but i already missed hours and hours of unadulterated fishing. i sneak out here and there, but man, a full weekend? that really don't happen often. busy lives.

didn't matter after everybody left, t bag still stuck one last trout.

i sat around with jim and mike. we looked through an old stack of fishcamp pictures.

at night, eddie played a bunch of songs like he usually does. some tom waits, and sweet baby james for uncle jim. its a good time. i am very tired. i still stay up late. my cousin paul brought his dog, cleo. cleo wants to kill me. i give her ham and everything. i don't know why she doesn't like me, but it bothers me. most dogs generally like me. when cleo scares the shit out of me for the last time, i got to bed. the last ride was finally ending.

holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed May 04, 2016 3:42 am

That was straight up awesome !

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Thu May 05, 2016 7:30 am

i've got 5 replies to my craigs list ad. one from E saying he'll take it. a good home. another from a guy who states: "Hi do you still have your pop up camper I'm really interested but don't hsve any cash u have s john boat I could trade? My family and I love camping and whould love to move up to a camper. Please let me know thank you."

hmmmmmmm. john boat or good home and visitation rights?

sunday

i got up sunday morning and it was threatening rain, typical. no problems here. let it rain, rivers need it. the camp is over anyhow. i remember many many fishcamps where it rained, i admit i sort of like it. not only does rain usually mean streamer fishing for me but it also makes the camper a bigger deal. when it is wet and damp, and the heater is running in the camper it becomes a hub. a place of comfort. and maybe you find a couple hours for a sweet ass nap or reading that book you brought or the newspaper.

i realized we were out of coffee creamer. so before anyone was awake i made a run to dunkin donuts. i needed to take a shit also, and fuck the bathroom at this campground. i saw a gross dead opossum so naturally i stopped to take its picture.

i got back and thought about going out for that last trout....but there was a lot of packing and cleaning and crap to do so i got down to business.

before long, i had the car packed and the camper dropped down. then i sat down by the fire and did what relaxing was left to do, and started saying goodbye to the fishcampers as they trickled out of town and beat the rain.

after a while, i realized i needed to catch one final trout. i cleverly hadn't packed my waders or my rod. so i put them on, i paused to have a photo taken with my 2 brothers. its been a helluva run for us out at fishcamp and i'm glad that this one is over. twenty one years man, better than half my life. and i've never missed one.

i found a troutcorpse in my car. nice catch! 2 more days and it would really stink. does anyone want an uncleaned old trout? no? can't blame you. i added it to the fire where it sat and blackened and finally dropped entirely from view. another year down, i got through it.

i walked down to the bend pool of the campground where its easy. on my fifth drift i got bit and caught the last trout of fishcamp 2016. it was a poor small rainbow. i released it gently and went back to camp.

back at camp my uncles camper was already broken down. as was mine. we hooked them up to the cars. we sat around for a while more. we all wanted to leave and go home, but we all wanted to stay as well. it ain't never easy.

jim's 86 scamper.

i pulled out slowly. i gave the finger to all bad memories. and so the last ride went down, middle finger up, starcraft in the rear view.

i got home, and immediately took the beautiful amazing young life that is my kids into my arms. after a long hot shower i packed the rug rats up and gave mom some time to relax. i took them out to lunch, to the video arcade, the toy store ("dada, couwego to toys for us?" "well.......lets see....." - sucker.) finally on the way home we stopped for ice cream. i told them, "did you guys know i've been going camping this weekend for twenty one years..........and next year you rug rats are coming with me for the first time."
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

ironman

Post by ironman » Thu May 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Heluva thing to look forward to. Time for new memories.

And I know that feeling before you leave. You wonder how it will be different and the same next year, while sorting over the days you've just had.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Thu May 05, 2016 1:18 pm

That was a great write-up.

Thanks for posting this.

:cool

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Thu May 05, 2016 3:52 pm

That was cool man
Take the bote

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 pm

I knew you were my type of peeps!
camper.jpg
camper.jpg (306.94 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Great stories, great thread. That feeling after 3 or 5 days of camping wanting to go home and wanting to stay just the same is truly unique. Used to get that a lot driving cross country. Couldn't wait to get there but didn't want the trip to end. Good stuff dude.

2-1 he gets all sappy and keeps the damn thing. I sure hope so...
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu May 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Fucking honored by the Craigslist Ad. Been cutting down trees and tying gurglers and decievers, got to catch up on this thread.
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Thu May 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Troutman of the year...
Your storytelling is so good it is inspiring.
Fuck man, in a perfect world I would be there 10 - 12 hours later than expected to pick it up on Sunday.
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Fri May 06, 2016 9:18 am

this fella has it all.

like simpson says... hold on 'til you're sore.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

cornholio

Post by cornholio » Fri May 06, 2016 11:48 am

That was really good man. :bow :bow
Doing it right.