Sage

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
markl

Re: Sage

Post by markl » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:32 am

Horrible news on top of horrible news. I can't begin to contemplate how his mom and the rest of his family are doing.
Condolences to all that knew him.

vaku

Post by vaku » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:28 am

Caught this awful news the other day and it hasn't left my mind since. I'm so sorry Ollie. The emptiness must be so heavy. If there is anything we can do to help fill it up with love or beauty, or to just carry the weight for a while, just let us know. We are here.

We are dealing with the fall out of my nephews attempt last week. Thankfully he failed at it. Having lost my brother, hid father, earlier this year, he's been on a rough road.
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

Streamer

Post by Streamer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 am

The sadness and horror of this news makes it hard for me to draw breath. Thank God for the shepherding that Pastor Ben provides this camp.
Please know, Ollie and Linda, that we pray for peace and comfort from this family to yours.

Yer Pal,
Streamer
Jule McDowell
"Because I was born in the South, I am a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, or the West, or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being." - Clyde Edgerton

Tragedy and comedy in fishing are practically synonomous.It depends on who is doing and who is looking.

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:37 am

I am so terribly sorry for your families loss. Its unimaginable how the pain and hurt would have been too much for them, now for the family.

I pray that looking back on the positive memories can fill your heart with what you need.
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

bullship

Post by bullship » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Too damn sad. So sorry. I used to think that depression was a choice, even though I dealt with serious bouts of it myself. It's not a choice, and there's such a fine line. I love you guys

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Well it seems that this is the last ties we are going to have with Sage. They are going to have a small service for him on Thursday evening at 7:00 pm and the only people that are invited are family. His friends are not even invited to the service. They seem to forget we have people that are not blood that we call family and they can't go. I think that is disrespectful for Sage, any one of these people would have taken him in and taken care of him. I told Linda that we should just have a get together at our campground where we can tell stories about the times we had. I remember when all the guides set a time at 5:00 pm to have a service at our campground for Ryan and they were bringing all the food as that would work for them as they were on the river all day. We got the at 4:30 and by 5:00 there were a couple of people and we thought this is going to be a bust. Well at 5:15 or just a little later there was 150 people there and food to feed 300 people. It shoed how much Ryan meant to them.

I have blowed some steam but I still have some hurt.
If your upside down in the ditch you have done something wrong!!

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Ollie,

A cornerstone of this place is that folks in good standing, you being at the top of that list, are allowed to blow steam with impunity and without any judgment from anyone here. I can fully understand your frustration with those memorial service arrangements and I think your alternate idea is a great one.

Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Andy
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

TX.

Post by TX. » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Have a second service.
There's no law against that.
Do what you need to do to get through.
Friends and non-blood family only (except for hosts of course).
We celebrate our kids' birthdays for a week, if we had lost our son, we would have celebrated his life for a month.
What do you have to lose?
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:05 pm

I cant imagine the hurt and disbelief that you have, as others have said you should be able to let off a little steam - the circumstances dictate and have dealt you more than a little in fact a lot. I never met Ryan or his son, I do not know their favorite river or park but perhaps a memorial on that river or park might help us remember how fragile and short life can be - every time I happen on a random bench on a river bend that is a remembrance I stop and reflect. Clearly I cant help what happened but I wanted to offer as best I can. While I am afar until spring I'd be happy to help organize a tribute, I would also hope that it might help some random person who is down and out or feeling low, perhaps a etching or craving of Pastor Ben's kind words to help those who are troubled and lonely. I am not asking for sympathy, but sharing; there was a time in my life where I strongly considered "slipping" and falling in my waders on the big hole one spring, I remember leaving the house and saying good by to my dog and crying. Not exactly sure what stopped me, but each day I am thankful. My personal refection changed and now I pause when I see memorials. Just a few thoughts. Kindly Kevin
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

flashback

Post by flashback » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:35 am

As kfox has said, two things can help us regain our souls, the water that flows around us when we fish and the people around us.

castingoutloud

Post by castingoutloud » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:48 am

Sorry Nemo I have to post on this topic Its only proper.
First off my condolences to friends and family of Sage.
My life has changed dramatically (for the better) I'm not the same old COL but for the record it is not about me.
I have since been separated from my wife and family (amicable) in the process I have been involve with someone whom is Bipolar and have been amerced in the area of mental illness both my own and others. My friend was sick not less than 2 weeks ago and we have talked at great length on the topic but so much remains to be explained. If I can give my 2 cents there is so much we don't understand both sufferers and loved ones.
This is a sad story and I understand the helplessness you must feel. We all have to understand ourselves better so we can help the ones we love.
RIP Sage.
COL peace.
"hay Robert don't post on my board anymore.
Let's see if you're truly a man of your word.

And yes, I'm serious. Tom"

nemo
"It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you're not..." Kurt Cobain

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:39 am

Obituary for Sage Reichle Schoonen

Sage Schoonen chose to leave this world October 13, 2016, at the much too early age of 20.
Never one to do anything halfway Sage became a master at anything he tried, whether it was skiing, snowboarding, hunting or fishing. Everything Sage loved to do was done on public lands and water. There were many wonderful summer days spent at Placid Lake with family and friends where Sage perfected wake boarding, slalom skiing, and of course the tubes of death.
Sage was an extremely kind and considerate person. He never hesitated to help family and friends with any project from getting firewood to dragging out an elk through deep snow in sub-zero temperatures.
He loved his family and was the best big brother and friend to his little sister Helena. Of course he was hard on Helena and pushed her as any good brother should – he did tease her a bit as well.
His grandpa Tony and Sage had an unusually close bond – both considered the other his best friend. Sage accompanied his grandpa and cronies many times to the state legislature in support of public land and water access.
His passion for perfection helped him immensely in high school and college engineering. He earned perfect marks and had a full-ride scholarship at Montana State University.
Sage left behind a devastated family and large group of close friends. He positively affected all who knew and loved him. He had a great sense of humor and a beautiful twinkle in his eye. He will be sorely missed.
Sage was preceded in death by Nick de Leon, Margaret Schoonen, and Ryan Reichle.
He is survived by his parents Jack and Wendy, sister Helena, Grandpa Tony, Grandpa Ed (Jennifer), Grandmother Nancy (Bob), Grandpa Dick and Grandma Linda, Uncle Tony & Aunt Jen, Aunt Maggie, Aunt Becky & Uncle Dan, Aunt Jana, cousins Carli, Brooke, Carter, Caris, and numerous great aunts, uncles and second cousins.
In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Skyline Sportsmen, Anaconda Sportsmen or another hunting/fishing, or public lands access organization of your choice.

There is a couple of things they did not mention, his dad that was a great big part of his life and Linda and myself.
If your upside down in the ditch you have done something wrong!!