Ice off TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Juan es un pescado

Ice off TR

Post by Juan es un pescado » Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Ice off has become one of my favorite seasons here. There are many lakes nearby, but one lake at the head of the valley (about 1.5 hours north of the 420 bake), has some stupid fishing for Lake Trout, rainbows and brookies, with fantastic scenery....if you can get there. The first time I made the pilgrimage, I caught a 25" lake trout on a #20 Griffiths Gnat, and went through the fly box trying to find one that they wouldn't eat. About 2/3 of the time, snow drifts block the road, and the lake opens up and fishing drops off, and the CO and UT licensce plates fill the trailhead.
ImageImage
DSFK
ImageImage

Such was the case this year. After one of the biggest snowpacks on record, the weather went from highs in the 30's and 40's to 70 for a week straight, and the lake opened up....but the road is still drifted in. Where to go…. I remembered a trip from when we first moved out, where I blindly stumbled onto some ridiculous lake trout fishing. So I loaded the boat and found the parking lot empty of trailers, and motored the 7 miles to the inlet. It took some farting around with i-pilot and presentation, but after that it was pretty much a fish on every cast with a sinking line and Clouser minnow. Fish were 18-25".... even dredged out an old oxidized ford fender someone lost years ago....
Did not see another boat, but wildlife was everywhere. Walked the shoreline to warm up found some fresh wolf tracks along the shoreline where the wave action the night before had created a clean slate.ImageImageImage

A fine 2 mornings.....

CarelessEthiopian

Re: Ice off TR

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Did you catch any of them on a fly rod?
boy in long pants

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Makes me seriously miss my ol' GSP's. Best dogs I ever had the honor of knowing.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

Bears Fan

Post by Bears Fan » Tue May 23, 2017 7:16 pm

CarelessEthiopian wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 pm
The spinnerbait, at least.
"Some days you win, some you lose, and some get rained out." - Outcast

Juan es un pescado

Post by Juan es un pescado » Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 am

CarelessEthiopian wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 pm
That is the 3rd set of trolling spinners/pop gear I have dredged off the bottom with a sinking line over the years. One still had a Penn reel, ugly stick rod and 6" Rapala attached....
The Wandering Blues wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 pm
Makes me seriously miss my ol' GSP's. Best dogs I ever had the honor of knowing.
My girls are GWP's but they are so smooth coated they are often mistaken for GSP's. Great dogs, they are super affectionate and seem to have unlimited drive and desire. Just like GSP's, they need to run often or they will find a less constructive way to vent their energy.

Gila, aka "the monster" was my first pointing dog and while she could test your patience as a young dog at home, she had way more natural ability than I deserved. She in now arthritic and going on 15, but she had a hell of a run!!
Gila-monster.jpg
Gila-monster.jpg (210.2 KiB) Viewed 610 times