Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
User avatar
By TX.
#678069
Trial run was tonight, bonfire birthday party for my now 15 YO.
Took for fucking ever to get the wood lit (it's rained (a lot) here everyday for the last two weeks, wood was damp, but the charcoal helped a bunch.
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG (136.94 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

Double barreled it:
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2937.JPG (151.89 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
First off the stone was a little rough:
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG (154.92 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Second a little better:
IMG_2939(1).JPG
IMG_2939(1).JPG (206.78 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
The kids all were digging it...
Little learning curve from commercial wood ovens I've used in the past, but it got the job done in less than five minutes.
(I cheated and used frozen dough balls tonight...good product, but not the same as fresh, a little doughy for me, but no complaints from the patrons). Surprisingly for those that have dined w/ me, not only was it done before ten o'clock, it was done before dark!

...And I smell like a campfire, used red and white oak, black walnut and locust.

:cool
User avatar
By Greenback
#678855
Lando wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm I heard Joe made a pizza the other night..........and some douchebag from this place wouldn't even eat a bite.
Harsh, man. Real harsh.

It was my first visit to Joe's house and I didn't want to have to pull an epi pen scene from pulp fiction in front of the missus. You don't get invited back if that shit happens.

The bitch of it is that what started as a beer allergy (add pizza and we're talking ER visit) in '10 has now progressed to all other booze over the past 6 months. It's not cool.

Not at all.
User avatar
By Lando
#678951
Greenback wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 am

The bitch of it is that what started as a beer allergy (add pizza and we're talking ER visit) in '10 has now progressed to all other booze over the past 6 months. It's not cool.

Not at all.

You and Joe share something in common............neither of you get hangovers.
User avatar
By SLSS
#678952
Greenback wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 am
Lando wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm I heard Joe made a pizza the other night..........and some douchebag from this place wouldn't even eat a bite.
Harsh, man. Real harsh.

It was my first visit to Joe's house and I didn't want to have to pull an epi pen scene from pulp fiction in front of the missus. You don't get invited back if that shit happens.

The bitch of it is that what started as a beer allergy (add pizza and we're talking ER visit) in '10 has now progressed to all other booze over the past 6 months. It's not cool.

Not at all.
I have some weird shit going on with red wine- like Putin put something in my glass. I was told there is no known allergy to alcohol. You have any answers?

(bourbon hurst me the usual ways, beers not as badly, and I'm oddly immune to rum- or close enough for an old fuck).
User avatar
By B.M. Barrelcooker
#678954
SLSS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm
Greenback wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 am
Lando wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm I heard Joe made a pizza the other night..........and some douchebag from this place wouldn't even eat a bite.
Harsh, man. Real harsh.

It was my first visit to Joe's house and I didn't want to have to pull an epi pen scene from pulp fiction in front of the missus. You don't get invited back if that shit happens.

The bitch of it is that what started as a beer allergy (add pizza and we're talking ER visit) in '10 has now progressed to all other booze over the past 6 months. It's not cool.

Not at all.
I have some weird shit going on with red wine- like Putin put something in my glass. I was told there is no known allergy to alcohol. You have any answers?

(bourbon hurst me the usual ways, beers not as badly, and I'm oddly immune to rum- or close enough for an old fuck).
Have you ever delved into gin ?
It's like bourbon ......for summer.
User avatar
By SLSS
#678962
B.M. Barrelcooker wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:41 pm
SLSS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm
Greenback wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 am

Harsh, man. Real harsh.

It was my first visit to Joe's house and I didn't want to have to pull an epi pen scene from pulp fiction in front of the missus. You don't get invited back if that shit happens.

The bitch of it is that what started as a beer allergy (add pizza and we're talking ER visit) in '10 has now progressed to all other booze over the past 6 months. It's not cool.

Not at all.
I have some weird shit going on with red wine- like Putin put something in my glass. I was told there is no known allergy to alcohol. You have any answers?

(bourbon hurst me the usual ways, beers not as badly, and I'm oddly immune to rum- or close enough for an old fuck).
Have you ever delved into gin ?
It's like bourbon ......for summer.
I put gin aside years ago- just didn't like it. Then it occurred to me recently that it may have been the gin I'd sampled, as most was with my pop. He never had a bottle of booze he couldn't find cheaper.

So I bought a really nice gin and tonic a coulee weeks back- meh. Just not my cuppa. I'll stick to rum and tonic.

Unless of course someone's just serving up G&T'. I am my father's son. :cool
User avatar
By Average Joe
#678965
SLSS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm I have some weird shit going on with red wine- like Putin put something in my glass. I was told there is no known allergy to alcohol. You have any answers?
I hosted a class on this a couple years back.

Start by buying a dozen or so bottles of 5-Hour Energy and pouring that shit straight down the drain.

Rinse the bottles well, and then fill them with whatever ails you, or bypass the subterfuge and use a flask, like so.


P7300683 (1280x960).jpg
P7300683 (1280x960).jpg (364.55 KiB) Viewed 1123 times


If you're unable to do it freehand, buy yourself a funnel. There's no shame in that.

Set your alarm for 5:30 AM.

When it goes off, get out of bed, put on some uncomfortable clothes, and then imagine you have some unpleasant business to attend to.

Pour whatever you put into the empty 5-Hour Energy bottles into your coffee cup and throw it back.

Repeat every hour or so, until all the bottles are empty.

Do this five days a week for the next forty-five to fifty years, or until you retire.

Sorry, I thought this was the haiku thread.

What was the question?
User avatar
By Greenback
#679661
SLSS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm
Greenback wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 am
Lando wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm I heard Joe made a pizza the other night..........and some douchebag from this place wouldn't even eat a bite.
Harsh, man. Real harsh.

It was my first visit to Joe's house and I didn't want to have to pull an epi pen scene from pulp fiction in front of the missus. You don't get invited back if that shit happens.

The bitch of it is that what started as a beer allergy (add pizza and we're talking ER visit) in '10 has now progressed to all other booze over the past 6 months. It's not cool.

Not at all.
I have some weird shit going on with red wine- like Putin put something in my glass. I was told there is no known allergy to alcohol. You have any answers?

(bourbon hurst me the usual ways, beers not as badly, and I'm oddly immune to rum- or close enough for an old fuck).
No real answers, Rick. I've been to three specialists at this point, and they're all telling me the same thing: it's a poorly understood condition, and there are so many variables that it's hard to isolate the actual cause. Could be a reaction to something in the alcohol (grains, hops, sulfites, fruit, etc.) or it could be an actual allergy to the ethanol. That seems to be the situation in my case as I get basically the same reaction to all booze. I had one glad of wine the other night and got all red and flushed within 15 minutes. I had pre-medicated with antihistamines (per doctors suggestion), which has been working, but it didn't work this time. I think the universe is telling me my boozing days are over.

In addition to the various specialists, I've done a ton of my own research. You can find some comprehensive medical journal articles here about alcohol intolerance/allergy: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology - https://www.aaaai.org

I'm to the point where drinking, and then worrying about anaphylaxis, just takes the fun right out of it. Not to mention, I've spent about as much time an money as I want to at this point to try to figure it out. It's actually been easier to lay off booze this time around compared to when I had to quit beer back in '10.

I suppose there are worse things that could happen to a man....
User avatar
By Lando
#679688
Hey Hogleg.....we got a fucking DD!!!

Topical Bump

Rust Belt 2019

Day -1: (Wednesday). Peebs and Fatman showed u[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Red-Assed Green Peter Bumble https://live.st[…]

whatcha tying?

now there's a pretty thing

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine