This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By The Po Thead
They’ve been sitting in that 5-gallon bucket in the garage, waiting, accumulating dust, pushed far behind the Grundens rain gear and waders that haven’t touched water since November. It’s satisfying though to finally grab the rods from the bucket and begin packing all the other fishing gear into the Rubbermaid totes.

It must be Spring in Southeast Alaska.

The plan was to take the ferry to an island community in northern southeast Alaska and stay at my aunt’s place to fish for a few days. My cousin and his girlfriend had never chased SE AK steelhead, so they wanted to come down from Anchorage to fish for five days. I loaded the truck on the boat and met them over there the next day.

The photos in this TR are a collection from myself and the awesome people I’ve been fortunate enough to get out on the water with this year.

6:30 a.m., waiting in line at the ferry terminal.

See you later Juneau.

The next morning we walked out the door to go fish, and the neighbor hood blacktails were feeding on dandelions.

And the bears were walking the beaches eating grass across from the house.

We got to the creek, grabbed the beers and fishing gear, and wandered downstream.

She got her first steelhead. While not caught on fly gear, we were all stoked to see her get her first fish, and that there were actually steelhead around.

And I managed to bag one later in the day

We walked the boardwalk and road back to the truck. It appeared that the brownies also like the path.

After fishing we went to the cannery to get some drinks, then went back to my aunt’s place to cook dinner

We did a three-mile downstream wade the next day. Getting to the creek required crossing a recent clear cut that was a god damn nightmare.

We went on a drive to the east side of the island to explore different waters.

The Devils Club was thick in places….

And we finally managed to get my cousin into his first steelhead.

We arrived at a confluence that was loaded with cutthroats and dollies eating pink salmon fry. Once out on the log, it didn’t take long to hook up.

And back around Juneau, things have been good too. I managed to get out on the water with the workskiff a few times.

And Mr. Smolt got himself some shiny.

And as May turns to June, the transition of steelhead to dolly fishing begins. It’s time to roam the sandy beaches looking for salty dollies.

Cheers everyone, here’s to the summer ahead.
By fatman
fine stuff, Po :smile
By stillsteamin
Proper creeking, proper drinking. Man, I look forward to these reports every spring. You're lucky to live in such an incredible place.
By Kfoxwyo
Man, what a way to start a Monday. One day I will be up that way. Thank you-
By root wad
Thanks, been waiting for that. It sure brings back the past. I love that country. Look forward to hearing what you find in The Bradfields.
By NeedmoreDEET
Great stuff. Thank for sharing.
By Lando
FredA wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:42 pm

That devils club is nasty shit.
x2
By yard4sale
And Randy told me you were ugly... what an asshole.
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Thunder and Lightning Dabbler (variant) htt[…]

WTF, Hieronymus

He’s too busy on the run from Sasquatch afte[…]

A Confession

okay, I got a good one. jose, mars and kyle get o[…]

Does anyone want to do a Pike/Muskie swap?

sorry. I thought we were playing nazi tennis.

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine