Summer bugs tr

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
LTFI

Summer bugs tr

Post by LTFI » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Earlier in the summer Bomber and I started talking about putting the bass rods down and making a trip to swing some flies for summer runners. July was hot, spent most of the month well above 100 seppo and our plans had to change a few times. "We could go to river x and try to skate one up" nope, water temps were too high. "We could take the jet to river y and camp on the gravel bars" nope, same story. "lets go low down on river z and see if we can find some early fish" That was the plan, until half the north state caught fire and highways turned into fire breaks. The trip got postponed a few weeks and we settled on river r.

Bomber and I loaded up the floaties and headed up in the evening, there would be no escaping the smoke...

It sure smelled like campfire but a led lantern aint the same. Once camp was set up we had a beer or two and called it a night.
Got an early start and it felt good...
Good to feel a chill.
Good to get one out of the way [insert]thousandmorepuneshere[/insert]
Good to see a fellow angler.
Good to watch bomber work.
Good to see mother nature finally helping these guys gain some ground on the fires.
Good to enjoy the simplicity of good bread, good cheese and good meat. No mayo
Good to swing buckets with dry lines.
And damn good to feel some pull back.

That evening our friends white and sandy made the drive up and met us at camp. White lives down the street from some sort of craft brew store. He brought along some really good fukin beer none of which I can remember and without a campfire I took no photographic evidence to recall what or how many we drank.

The next morning was a bit hazy. I took this photo then promptly stuck that skunk into a fish right where she should have been. Towards the end of the swing, nearly a hang downer, she turned and the line went slack.

Pulled over on cow patty beach for lunch...

Momma came out of the brush and didn't seem too thrilled we had encroached on her drinking hole, little black calf stayed in the brush.

Lots of "tight box" talk throughout the trip

Towards the bottom of the drift I found a nice sharp piece of steel hanging out just below the surface. Fuk... luckily bomber, who was right behind me in the big raft, missed it. Loaded all my shit up in the big raft and we finished out the drift. Shitty, but it'll get fixed, and we had brought another water master just in case.
It was like fishing overcast days with the thick smoke cover but mid day high sun naps were still enjoyed.

Day 3 started out in some good skating water, a ledgy pool above a big rapid, chug chug chug...

bomber was in the midst of a 3 trip dry spell and was beginning to smell. Earlier in the day white lost a fish to a nicked leader, but at least he got to feel some weight. Bomber wanted a fish, at least a grab, something to reward his efforts and we were getting close to the end. I started insisting that he just cherry pick the best water, all the fish we'd hooked had been in the same lies. Right where an adult should be I saw his line jolt a bit...bombers head sank and a pune jumped at the end of his line.
Wasn't meant to be, skunk can be hard to wash off.
A bit of a log jam at the takeout.
Even though we were trying to get on the road some things are just far more important. A heartfelt thank you to all those fighting wild land fires throughout the west.
About as clear of a sky as we'd seen in a few weeks
On the road and already bomber and I were talking about a return trip before winter. He wants redemption, I want to bring a fukin hacksaw and do a bit of river clean up. Both of us just had way too much fun swinging dry lines again.
Last edited by LTFI on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yard4sale

Re: Summer bugs tr

Post by yard4sale » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Nice. Reeeeel nice. I keep trying to get down there but my truck keeps turning east in roseburg.

And tell Bomber skunkings usually end in glorious hot streaks.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 pm

fiercely pulling for bomber on the next run. the music fits this right proper. well done. except for poor bomber, who will undoubtedly end up in a glorious hot streak.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 pm

yard4sale wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 pm
Nice. Reeeeel nice. I keep trying to get down there but my truck keeps turning east in roseburg.

And tell Bomber skunkings usually end in glorious hot streaks.
can't blame you, east of Roseburg was our original plan. Might try and make it up there if September isn't too busy.

I wouldn't worry about bomber, he gets his, fuker has a knack for pulling winter fish.

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Lime.
Alls of it!
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:30 pm

my mistress...
because I cannae.png
because I cannae.png (103.93 KiB) Viewed 911 times
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:13 am

Well, damn. That was nice. Time to get some bugs spun and my butt focused.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

-G-

Post by -G- » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am

This TR is pretty much everything I wish I were doing right now. Always enjoy your reports. And salute to the green floatie soldier
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 am

Tres Bien.

I like your sandwich makings.

Good luck to all of you guys out west with those fires.
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:32 am

Beautiful report.

Bears Fan

Post by Bears Fan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:52 am

That looks like a great time. Thanks for bringing us along!
"Some days you win, some you lose, and some get rained out." - Outcast

Bears Fan

Post by Bears Fan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:52 am

That looks like a great time. Thanks for bringing us along!
"Some days you win, some you lose, and some get rained out." - Outcast