Bird Season

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
johnbmadwis

Bird Season

Post by johnbmadwis » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm

This is my Ruger Red Label 28 ga. It is a sweet little thing. Not high end in the world of shotguns, but a nice gun. Kind of like an English made Battenkill. The best I ever want, and makes me feel good that my material desires have a bit of modesty. The grouse season in Wisco was cut short his year. Typically sept 15 to end of dec., it will end at end of nov this year. Grouse have a population cycle of 10 year peak to peak. So, 5 years in declining trend, then 5 back up. Last year was supposed to be a good up year, but was down 30% (grouse biologists and folks argue about what causes the cycle (but not with the unhinged and heated rancor that you see CWD argued about)). Been that way forever. Not like woodcock - whose numbera are just being pushed down due to habitat loss, grouse have this cycle just generally. Some think it cycles with goshawk and cooper hawk and other boreal forest hawk predation/population and the hare/rabbit population. Nature ain’t giving up all her secrets. Good on her. Some mystery is fine with me. Anyway, the DNR cut the season short this year because it thinks the unexpected 30% drop is due to west nile virus carried by mosquitos. These exotic maladies can just go fuck themselves. Grouse hunting is like brook trout fishing. Mostly loners and introverts. Some local goobers, but even they tend to be on their best behavior when grouse hunting. The bird just brings you up a notch. I miss my Brittany. He was an asshole, except when on point. Then he was pure class.
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG (106.15 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Last edited by johnbmadwis on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bigguy

Re: Bird Season

Post by Bigguy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 pm

Purty gun!

DanOver

Post by DanOver » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 pm

That's right living, JohnB! Grouse hunting and 28s were made for each other. Sorry 'bout your god.

I'll have my Savage Milano 28 out on Dove tomorrow.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:56 pm

brittany.
the only thing in this world john's taller than.

I'll get me coat.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:05 pm

Montana opener is tomorrow.

My Brittany is now 8 years old.

Here, Septembers are for blue grouse on the sage brush ridges and huns in the coulees. October is for the king, Ruffed Grouse.

There is nothing in the world quite like those last few leaves, holding on, barely rattling with the cold breeze whistling through them, only interrupted by the sound of a mature ruffed grouse as it blasts out of the underbrush.

Then November is for sharptails and Chinese ditch parrots - by that point it’s all gravy, and Asian imports can provide some fun. But they’ll never be Ruffies.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 am

I’m not making it out for the opened today. Le sigh. Will go Monday.

Pulling the angry chicken out in a few days, hope to get her one her first sharp tail or sage grouse kill by end of September then hard on it til end of March.

peetso

Post by peetso » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:22 am

Starts today up here.

My old girl is 12 now and what used to be all day romps through the forest, day after day have now became 2 hour jaunts through the bush with doses of painkiller at the end of the day and I try and limit the days out to a couple a week.

But we will head out again this year her and I. Crunchy leaves underfoot, blue skies above and with any luck a little weight in the game bag.

"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

johnbmadwis

Post by johnbmadwis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:46 am

Spudnick, I forgot all the different birds you have. Our primary is the ruffed grouse, found the top half of the state. We have as good as anywhere Woodcock too, but those kind of are a by=product of grouse hunting. There's Woodcock guys for sure, but I really do not hunt specifically for them. We have limited sharptails and a bobwhite here and there in the SW part of the state. Dove season starts today, though I've never hunted those as I tend to not really like pass shooting - including for ducks.

Peetso, gorgeous pics. Beautiful dog. She sounds a lot like me.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:31 pm

johnbmadwis wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:46 am
She sounds a lot like me.
Don't worry, JB, it only gets worse. But you still go.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

RFA

Post by RFA » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:34 pm

I've always said that German Shorthairs are the best bird dogs in the world, but you need to deal with them for the rest of the year.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:10 am

johnbmadwis wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm
Kind of like an English made Battenkill. The best I ever want, and makes me feel good that my material desires have a bit of modesty.
very cool sentiment, i appreciate that. good luck in the field, john et al.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:28 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 am
I’m not making it out for the opened today. Le sigh. Will go Monday.

Pulling the angry chicken out in a few days, hope to get her one her first sharp tail or sage grouse kill by end of September then hard on it til end of March.
I’ve got a trip planned to hunt huns in an area where seeing 60-80 sage grouse in a day is common. It’s been a few years since I shot one, but last year we set up my good buddy’s oldest son on a sage chicken hunt and he got one and is now hooked on bird hunting.

And RFA, shorthairs are wonderful dogs 12 months of the year if they get the exercise they need. It’s usually not the dog that’s the problem, you know?
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream