And we're off.... (canoe build) page 7 bump

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
LA Fly Guy

Re: And we're off.... (canoe build)

Post by LA Fly Guy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:18 am

Redchaser wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:23 pm
LA Fly Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 am
Say what y'all want to, but Parish Brewing makes some damn fine beer - even the fruity kind. The original canebrake is still probably my favorite, but the strawberry canebrake was still fine indeed.

Ruddy, can you use wood filler for the holes?

Have you planed the inside yet?

Let me know if you need more help.

I'm actually excited to do the glass work.

It is sad that the only member of your family that withstands the heat with you has a permanent fur coat. Meanwhile, Princess et al don't even care enough to peek out the blinds to see how you are doing.

Such is life.
Corey,

If you are excited to do glasswork, schedule some time to come help me with the Gheenoe I'm supposed to be working on, and by help I mean you do meaningful stuff while I sit back and watch.

Disclaimer: I've never done glass work - yet. But as Brett knows, I can research the shit out of it until I figure it out. Also, if you wait long enough, I can learn what not to do on Brett's canoe.

I'd still be happy to lend a hand though; if nothing else, I can provide comic relief.

Brett - better hurry up, you only have 128 posts left......
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

markl

Post by markl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:50 am

This is awesome. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is holding the planks in place once you pull out the staples. What, obvious thing, am I missing?

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 am

markl wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:50 am
This is awesome. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is holding the planks in place once you pull out the staples. What, obvious thing, am I missing?
Each cedar strip is cut with tongue and groove. Wood glue is applied between each strip before placing and stapling. Look back at the pictures and you can see where the glue oozed out between the strips.
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

markl

Post by markl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:39 am

LA Fly Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 am
markl wrote:
Each cedar strip is cut with tongue and groove. Wood glue is applied between each strip before placing and stapling. Look back at the pictures and you can see where the glue oozed out between the strips.
So. like I said, sounding like an idiot.
Thanks for the suggestion of actually looking at the pictures ;)

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:45 am

This thing gonna be one a them polin canoes or a paddler? I don't know much about anything but seems like a cedar stripper needs a pole.
I still like to explore new water, but these holes and drifts and slots are like the books and records I have carried around for decades. They are not only places of affection - they are the fabric of my life. - Doug Rose

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:01 am

markl wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:39 am
LA Fly Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 am
markl wrote:
So. like I said, sounding like an idiot.
Thanks for the suggestion of actually looking at the pictures ;)

Nah, I didn't think you sounded like an idiot. Sometimes we just need a little explanation as to what's going on behind the scenes.

421sd

Post by 421sd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Billy Ray.gif
Billy Ray.gif (999.54 KiB) Viewed 773 times

BryanM

Post by BryanM » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am

Wow, this post brought me back from the dead. Great documentation of the build. Nice work,
"There's nothing quite like that first taste of beer"....John Steinbeck

Ruddy Duck

Re: And we're off.... (canoe build) page 5 bump

Post by Ruddy Duck » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 am

Progress has been slower over the last month. I believe I left off with a fully planked but crude hull.

The next step was to pull all of the staples that temporarily held the hull's shape as glue between strips dried.

This job was tedious but went faster than I expected.

Staples removed, it was time for some shaping and sanding.

My sander that has been in service for over a decade died, so I was forced to by another. I went with something a little more powerful as I regretted going cheap for over a decade.

Sanding sucks. There is no way to sugar coat it. I found another use for those buffs everyone hates.

Sanded smooth, it was time to get out the epoxy. Screw holes and gaps are filled with epoxy thickened with saw dust collected during the sanding process.

This is the canoe building version of "painters paint what carpenters aint".

Almost ready for a sealer coat and fiberglass.

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:40 am

Wow.
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:23 pm

I love wooden boats. Thanks for the updates.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

FredA

Post by FredA » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:33 pm

This is so damn cool.

So how many staples did you pull out of your bare feet?