And we're off.... (canoe build) page 7 bump

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
austrotard

Re: And we're off.... (canoe build) page 5 bump

Post by austrotard » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:33 pm

heh heh... might as well be indonesia.

and I like buffs.
like, a lot.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

-G-

Post by -G- » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Reading this before bedtime will give me sanding nightmares.

The way it all comes together on the bottom is beautiful. Sexy lines. Can’t wait for your first flow coat. If you’re anything like me you’ve probably spent an embarrassing amount of time just staring at her thinking of where you’ll be taking her.
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Damn thats a fine looking bote. :smile

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm

How's the inside looking cap'n? Nice work so far. Still no help from the wife and kids I guess?
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

Trucha Del Mar

Post by Trucha Del Mar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:09 pm

You still haven't mentioned expected top speed with a 25hp 2smoke.
Goin' back to Houston, do the hot dog dance. Goin' back to Houston, to get me some pants.

The sheepshead fish has human teeth, but it's OK because it won't give you a psychedelic crisis.

bring your own lampshade, somewhere there's a party...

K_P

Post by K_P » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:09 pm

I'm enjoying this build. Very cool.

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:14 pm

I left off with a hull sanded smooth and ready for fiberglassing. This step has always been a bit concerning as a lot of energy and money can be wasted if done improperly. I reread my instruction book and watched every video on youtube I could find on the subject.

First, a thin strip of fiberglass is added to the bow and stern, and a sealer coat of epoxy is added to the entire hull.

The sealer coat was pretty splotchy, but it would even out with additional coats.

Next, fiberglass cloth is rolled out over the hull. Dry paint brushes are used to smooth out the cloth. Using your bare hands would distort the weave of the cloth and result in lumps and other imperfections.

Epoxy fumes are nasty.

The first coat of epoxy over the cloth basically wets it out and forms the initial bond. The weave of the cloth is filled in by subsequent coats of epoxy. I opted for Etta James et al to keep me company for the stressful three hours of the initial coat. Taking a break is not an option as it is best to work with a wet edge.

Here is the hull after the first coat.

I opted for a chemical bond between coats, so I spent the entire day either adding epoxy or waiting a few hours for the next coat. When I was about an hour from competing the final coat I realized I was short a layer of cloth at the bow and stern. This was a screw up rooted in using several different references, some of which used inner and outer stems and others did not. I opted to not use stems, so I needed an additional strip of fiberglass cloth at the ends.

Shit.

I added the fiberglass, but as a result I had to do some "repairs" mid build. A couple weeks of sanding, adding epoxy, sanding, adding expoxy to the bow and stern, and I was finally ready for the final coat. Because the other coats were fully cured, I had to sand the hull in preparation for the final epoxy to give it enough "tooth" to bond. No chemical bond at this point.

Here is the partially sanded hull.

This one has blueberries. The barrel cooker would not approve.

The staple holes did not disappear as the book predicted. Don't really know what went wrong, but I'll have to live with them.

A utility knife is used to cut off the excess cloth.

I finally got to pull the hull of the forms and flip it over. For the first time it looks like a canoe.

Overall, it is certainly not perfect, but most of the flaws will never be noticed unless I point them out.

Now I have to repeat all of the sanding and fiberglassing on the inside.

:smile

Bigguy

Re: And we're off.... (canoe build) page 6 bump

Post by Bigguy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Looking good!

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:44 pm

sa-weet :smile

bring that bad btice north, we'll help you "break her in"
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

mitch aka 2 fish
Location: a big sincere thank you to all of you who still participate, I'm still here, every single day.

Post by mitch aka 2 fish » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Fixing Seppo Problems: A How to Guide.

galvanised staples. they don't oxidise with the moisture in the timber.

$10.
hey! everyone entitled owns a right opinion, buddy.

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 pm

mitch aka 2 fish wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 pm
Fixing Seppo Problems: A How to Guide.

galvanised staples. they don't oxidise with the moisture in the timber.

$10.
I thought I bought stainless, but the Arrow website says they are just steel. That brand doesn't appear to sell stainless steel in 9/16". I didn't even think to look for galvanized.

Your alter ego could have chimed in a few months ago while he still had a couple hundred posts left. :wink

mitch aka 2 fish
Location: a big sincere thank you to all of you who still participate, I'm still here, every single day.

Post by mitch aka 2 fish » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 pm

and what fun would that have been?

I always envisioned the victorian wahoo yacht ending up matt black anyway.
hey! everyone entitled owns a right opinion, buddy.