Reflections On A Season Not Hunted

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
K_P

Re: Reflections On A Season Not Hunted

Post by K_P » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 pm

It took me a while to get to this.

I'm sure glad I did.

I came into waterfowl hunting well into adulthood. Like you, a good dog (in my case, Koda) was a big part of the joy. Many of the other memories that you describe also resonate, but Koda is preeminent in my personal experience.

When she died unexpectedly three years ago, a piece of me did as well. I haven't been to the marsh since.

I was practicing my spey casting on the big river yesterday after work. Some Canada's passed over low enough to be in shooting range. Later, a trio of mergansers zipped upriver even lower.

I admired them and went back to my casting.

Maybe I'll waterfowl again, or maybe I'll just cherish those memories of my years with an outstanding Labrador. I'm not sure yet. I guess I'll know when it's time for me to know.

KP

Last edited by K_P on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 am

I like it very much, Bob.

Say, have you considered a literary profession? You seem to have a talent for it. The drawing isn’t bad either.

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:57 am

Great stuff Bob. As we move along this path of life, there comes a time when I believe that we have more steps behind us than in front (although the steps in front are damn harder to see). There are many names for this, but I like to call it a dose of mortality. I try not to think about the day when it becomes evident that I won't be able to sit next to or in a tree to hunt a deer...for physical reasons or not having a plot of land to do so or whichever.

I only made the woods twice this year to this point. Life gets in the way of what makes life worth living...and I grieve for it sometimes in the small hours. My father was an avid hunter...it was a few years ago that he hung them up for good as his body could not keep up with what his mind and soul desired. I know he grieves greatly when the north wind blows cold and the leaves turn. My sons and I share our meager adventures, but I know it is not the same.
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs

RockyMtHigh

Post by RockyMtHigh » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm

The opening quote says it all!

Great read Bob. Thanks.
wait...what? fuck - Fatman