This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Rooster
Originally posted by Smithhammer:n Image
I dont remember the part of the book where Moby Dick shoots whale semen on Ahab's face...Or was that written into the screenplay because the movie guys wanted a love scene?
By Smithhammer
Why do you think Ahab was so perpetually pissed? Besides, I think it was a typo in the script that nobody caught - it was actually supposed to say "Ahab faces the seamen."
By coolconman
Micus, been reading some of your articles today instead of working. I'm really enjoying them. I've read the [/img]iasma" one somewhere before, but I'm not sure where.
n Anyway I have to officially call off our duel over "The Dick" because I can't bring myself to kill you and deprive the fishing public of your writing. :cool: bent rods and full pints,Connor
By D. Micus
well, connor, if my writing is able to keep someone from working, it has been worth it. thanks for the kind words.
By BigTimber
hotspur wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:48 am At the risk of being smitten from this board (and perhaps the earth), could we put Gierach on this list? He has written the same story over and over again for the past ten years: formulaic dimestore wisdom with buddy bonding thrown in. Now if we go back to his beginnings and let him wax over things like Camp Coffee, then there's something to it. My hypothesis: he has made too much easy money. Some real talents have sold out, but they didn't do it with their writing. (Jim Harrison hawks luggage for Orvis; David Foster Wallace caught Frank(?) Conroy writing brochures for cruise lines. Neither of these guys got sucked into the Part II syndrome: 'People bought that last one; hell, they'll buy this one, too...')Oh, and since you all hate me now, we can add anything James Prosek has written to the list of Bad Reads.
so many old timey Drake characters, but Hotspur nailed it.
By CC Riebeeck
Repetition of the same...it’s like gheypages posting up countless iterations of the Skagit Mist.

See that, and in less than 30 words...
You know...
By Eider
CC Riebeeck wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:50 am Repetition of the same...it’s like gheypages posting up countless iterations of the Skagit Mist.

See that, and in less than 30 words...
You know...
Are you referring to books or the thread? You need to work on the precision of your language. This will be 30 words. I understand that is your limit. True?
By stillsteamin
You can tell this was in the relative early days of the internet because it's actually good discussion. When people wrote online the way they'd speak in real life... and still read books.
By SLSS
stillsteamin wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 am You can tell this was in the relative early days of the internet because it's actually good discussion. When people wrote online the way they'd speak in real life... and still read books.
I don't really want to think about how long ago I started hanging out on here- not the earliest of early days, I'm too old and was behind the curve. But it was the first message board I'd ever seen. And I jumped in. My wife used to read it over my shoulder and we'd be laughing our asses off.

So much better than FB and it's light bandying about.

Thanks for digging this out Eider.
By Eider
SLSS wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm
stillsteamin wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 am You can tell this was in the relative early days of the internet because it's actually good discussion. When people wrote online the way they'd speak in real life... and still read books.
I don't really want to think about how long ago I started hanging out on here- not the earliest of early days, I'm too old and was behind the curve. But it was the first message board I'd ever seen. And I jumped in. My wife used to read it over my shoulder and we'd be laughing our asses off.

So much better than FB and it's light bandying about.

Thanks for digging this out Eider.
No problem. There is gold to find when you dig. I've been on this board for too long.

Edit: While this predates me joining this board, it does not predate my lurking. And I still mostly lurk. I'm weird like that.
Friday Cheer Through Pics

Well then, I’ll play along

Finally getting some rain river mouths are open […]

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/12/small-firm-lawyer-[…]

KP got a good dig in.

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine