The Chronicles of the Wooden Shoe- winter TR pg 12

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
stillsteamin

Re: The Chronicles of the Wooden Shoe- TR pg 11

Post by stillsteamin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:40 pm

I didn't realize Nolan had matching pants to go with that jacket... the fly-less fishing escapade on the shooties as told by Dan is still one of my top 5's
I still like to explore new water, but these holes and drifts and slots are like the books and records I have carried around for decades. They are not only places of affection - they are the fabric of my life. - Doug Rose

-G-

Post by -G- » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:02 am
An old friend and I used to duck hunt every Christmas Eve. I remember the mild anxiety of not knowing if we would make it back for family traditions. We always did. And we always had big fun.

Sadly, the tradition died and until I read this, the memory died as well. Have to reach out to an old friend now.
I think a duck hunt out of your strip woodie is In order then. Speaking of, dying for an update soon.
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am

-G- wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm
Ruddy Duck wrote:
An old friend and I used to duck hunt every Christmas Eve. I remember the mild anxiety of not knowing if we would make it back for family traditions. We always did. And we always had big fun.

Sadly, the tradition died and until I read this, the memory died as well. Have to reach out to an old friend now.
I think a duck hunt out of your strip woodie is In order then. Speaking of, dying for an update soon.
Sanding the interior sucked. I took a month or two break to do a little of the fishings and huntings, but am back on it. The interior is sanded and waiting on a warm weather day for fiberglassing. In Lowsyanna, that can happen any month of the years, so I'm now just watching the 10 day forecast. Hope to bump the progress thread in the next few weeks.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am
-G- wrote:
Ruddy Duck wrote:

Sanding the interior sucked. I took a month or two break to do a little of the fishings and huntings, but am back on it. The interior is sanded and waiting on a warm weather day for fiberglassing. In Lowsyanna, that can happen any month of the years, so I'm now just watching the 10 day forecast. Hope to bump the progress thread in the next few weeks.
Yeah but the same forecast that's good for glassin is good for fishin..
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 am

Redchaser wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Ruddy Duck wrote:
-G- wrote:

With my luck this year, I'd stay home and fiberglass. :wink

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am

Redchaser wrote:

Hows the fishing been down there this year Ron? I think about it a lot. Those big bulls fight like a hippo on bath salts.
I still like to explore new water, but these holes and drifts and slots are like the books and records I have carried around for decades. They are not only places of affection - they are the fabric of my life. - Doug Rose

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 am

stillsteamin wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am
Redchaser wrote:

Hows the fishing been down there this year Ron? I think about it a lot. Those big bulls fight like a hippo on bath salts.
The weather has been reeeeaaaaallly shitty this year. Lots of clouds and rain this fall/winter.
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:54 pm

LA Fly Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 am
stillsteamin wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am
Redchaser wrote:

The weather has been reeeeaaaaallly shitty this year. Lots of clouds and rain this fall/winter.
What he said.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Fatman must be wintering down your way.

-G-

Post by -G- » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Ruddy Duck wrote:
-G- wrote:
Ruddy Duck wrote:

I seriously cringe a little bit when you reference all the sanding. I get a little ptsd and my sanding hand starts to get the shakes one gets after holding a random orbital sander going full tilt like a peterbilt for hours. But it’s worth it.

-G-

Post by -G- » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:10 am

First of Spring.

Every year around late February, or sometime in March we get our first warm up above freezing. Having spent most of our fall and winter on steelhead creeks, we’re usually pretty excited for trout season. Conversations in my garage switch to dry flies, trout streams, and streamer fishing for the ‘tirdy’.

The only problem is even though we are more than ready for trout season to begin; the launches and most of the roads are still covered in thigh deep snow, the water is still 33-35 degrees, and the trout season we are looking forward to is really about 2 months away.

Despite the above- cabin fever can only take its toll on the mind for so long until stubbornness comes to the rescue like a skinny white man in underwear to a gang fight.

So twav and I went trout fishing.

As expected, the launches were buried in snow. So we pushed the shoe for what seemed to be a football field to the launch and regretted every drink we’ve had since October. Twav went to either throw up or take a shit in the bushes, I’m still not sure. Maybe both. It was still better than me because I couldn’t stand up without blacking out.

After a long rest, and about a gallon of water each-

We went trout fishing, for the first time of the year.

(Our car spotter must’ve though we were crazy and took these to send to all of his buddies. “Look a these two sorry assholes!”)

We caught nothing.

But that was ok, and somewhat expected. So twav and I did the one thing we’re both better at than trout fishing.

And that’s drink whiskey.

We took out and realized the launch may be good enough to take the car down as it was packed down pretty good by snow mobiles.

To make a long story short, we were wrong. We bottomed out my car to a nauseam. Shoveling it out, and rocking it to get it another foot at a time for it to only sink back down into the deep snow. A foot at a time, when we needed 50 yards was even more taxing.

I didn’t want to think of the time 3 years ago, same time of year where Dan and I spent 4 hours shoveling his truck out with oars. Twav probably didn’t want to think about a similar time him and his good buddies got a Pontiac vibe high and dry for an equal amount of time, same location.

We were suppose to be smarter now. But here we were, high and dry once again, after trying to go trout fishing in February.

Luckily a team of snow mobiliers saw our struggle, and helped push us out. We were a little embarrassed to say the least, but thankful they happened to stop by.

“You guys catch anything today at least?”

“No”

“You know, it’s easier with a worm, and In the actual spring”

“Yeah..”

So maybe we’ll go trout fishing for the first time later next year.

But then again, that’s what we said last year.

Ruddy Duck

Re: The Chronicles of the Wooden Shoe- winter TR pg 12

Post by Ruddy Duck » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:38 am

I envy folks that have four seasons. However, I'm told I wouldn't last very long living through a real winter. I suspect our August can't be that much more bearable.

Looks like you survived with a couple stories to tell. Great trip.