Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
User avatar
By -G-
#691773
Ruddy Duck wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:02 am An old friend and I used to duck hunt every Christmas Eve. I remember the mild anxiety of not knowing if we would make it back for family traditions. We always did. And we always had big fun.

Sadly, the tradition died and until I read this, the memory died as well. Have to reach out to an old friend now.
I think a duck hunt out of your strip woodie is In order then. Speaking of, dying for an update soon.
#691791
-G- wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm
Ruddy Duck wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:02 am An old friend and I used to duck hunt every Christmas Eve. I remember the mild anxiety of not knowing if we would make it back for family traditions. We always did. And we always had big fun.

Sadly, the tradition died and until I read this, the memory died as well. Have to reach out to an old friend now.
I think a duck hunt out of your strip woodie is In order then. Speaking of, dying for an update soon.
Sanding the interior sucked. I took a month or two break to do a little of the fishings and huntings, but am back on it. The interior is sanded and waiting on a warm weather day for fiberglassing. In Lowsyanna, that can happen any month of the years, so I'm now just watching the 10 day forecast. Hope to bump the progress thread in the next few weeks.
#691798
Ruddy Duck wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am
-G- wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm
Ruddy Duck wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:02 am An old friend and I used to duck hunt every Christmas Eve. I remember the mild anxiety of not knowing if we would make it back for family traditions. We always did. And we always had big fun.

Sadly, the tradition died and until I read this, the memory died as well. Have to reach out to an old friend now.
I think a duck hunt out of your strip woodie is In order then. Speaking of, dying for an update soon.
Sanding the interior sucked. I took a month or two break to do a little of the fishings and huntings, but am back on it. The interior is sanded and waiting on a warm weather day for fiberglassing. In Lowsyanna, that can happen any month of the years, so I'm now just watching the 10 day forecast. Hope to bump the progress thread in the next few weeks.
Yeah but the same forecast that's good for glassin is good for fishin..
#691818
Redchaser wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Ruddy Duck wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am
-G- wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm

I think a duck hunt out of your strip woodie is In order then. Speaking of, dying for an update soon.
Sanding the interior sucked. I took a month or two break to do a little of the fishings and huntings, but am back on it. The interior is sanded and waiting on a warm weather day for fiberglassing. In Lowsyanna, that can happen any month of the years, so I'm now just watching the 10 day forecast. Hope to bump the progress thread in the next few weeks.
Yeah but the same forecast that's good for glassin is good for fishin..
With my luck this year, I'd stay home and fiberglass. :wink
#691832
Redchaser wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Yeah but the same forecast that's good for glassin is good for fishin..
Hows the fishing been down there this year Ron? I think about it a lot. Those big bulls fight like a hippo on bath salts.
#691861
stillsteamin wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am
Redchaser wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Yeah but the same forecast that's good for glassin is good for fishin..
Hows the fishing been down there this year Ron? I think about it a lot. Those big bulls fight like a hippo on bath salts.
The weather has been reeeeaaaaallly shitty this year. Lots of clouds and rain this fall/winter.
#691869
LA Fly Guy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 am
stillsteamin wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am
Redchaser wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Yeah but the same forecast that's good for glassin is good for fishin..
Hows the fishing been down there this year Ron? I think about it a lot. Those big bulls fight like a hippo on bath salts.
The weather has been reeeeaaaaallly shitty this year. Lots of clouds and rain this fall/winter.
What he said.
User avatar
By -G-
#691872
Ruddy Duck wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am
-G- wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm
Ruddy Duck wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:02 am An old friend and I used to duck hunt every Christmas Eve. I remember the mild anxiety of not knowing if we would make it back for family traditions. We always did. And we always had big fun.

Sadly, the tradition died and until I read this, the memory died as well. Have to reach out to an old friend now.
I think a duck hunt out of your strip woodie is In order then. Speaking of, dying for an update soon.
Sanding the interior sucked. I took a month or two break to do a little of the fishings and huntings, but am back on it. The interior is sanded and waiting on a warm weather day for fiberglassing. In Lowsyanna, that can happen any month of the years, so I'm now just watching the 10 day forecast. Hope to bump the progress thread in the next few weeks.

I seriously cringe a little bit when you reference all the sanding. I get a little ptsd and my sanding hand starts to get the shakes one gets after holding a random orbital sander going full tilt like a peterbilt for hours. But it’s worth it.
User avatar
By -G-
#692651
First of Spring.

Every year around late February, or sometime in March we get our first warm up above freezing. Having spent most of our fall and winter on steelhead creeks, we’re usually pretty excited for trout season. Conversations in my garage switch to dry flies, trout streams, and streamer fishing for the ‘tirdy’.

The only problem is even though we are more than ready for trout season to begin; the launches and most of the roads are still covered in thigh deep snow, the water is still 33-35 degrees, and the trout season we are looking forward to is really about 2 months away.

Despite the above- cabin fever can only take its toll on the mind for so long until stubbornness comes to the rescue like a skinny white man in underwear to a gang fight.

So twav and I went trout fishing.

Image


As expected, the launches were buried in snow. So we pushed the shoe for what seemed to be a football field to the launch and regretted every drink we’ve had since October. Twav went to either throw up or take a shit in the bushes, I’m still not sure. Maybe both. It was still better than me because I couldn’t stand up without blacking out.

After a long rest, and about a gallon of water each-

We went trout fishing, for the first time of the year.


Image
(Our car spotter must’ve though we were crazy and took these to send to all of his buddies. “Look a these two sorry assholes!”)
Image

We caught nothing.


But that was ok, and somewhat expected. So twav and I did the one thing we’re both better at than trout fishing.


And that’s drink whiskey.

Image

Image

We took out and realized the launch may be good enough to take the car down as it was packed down pretty good by snow mobiles.

To make a long story short, we were wrong. We bottomed out my car to a nauseam. Shoveling it out, and rocking it to get it another foot at a time for it to only sink back down into the deep snow. A foot at a time, when we needed 50 yards was even more taxing.

I didn’t want to think of the time 3 years ago, same time of year where Dan and I spent 4 hours shoveling his truck out with oars. Twav probably didn’t want to think about a similar time him and his good buddies got a Pontiac vibe high and dry for an equal amount of time, same location.

We were suppose to be smarter now. But here we were, high and dry once again, after trying to go trout fishing in February.

Luckily a team of snow mobiliers saw our struggle, and helped push us out. We were a little embarrassed to say the least, but thankful they happened to stop by.

“You guys catch anything today at least?”

“No”

“You know, it’s easier with a worm, and In the actual spring”

“Yeah..”



So maybe we’ll go trout fishing for the first time later next year.

But then again, that’s what we said last year.
  • 1
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 16
whatcha tying?

I thought I’d tie pretty flies one day. Then[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

again. with the heads. is there something wrong wi[…]

great. now I'm googling tattoo's feet.

make it stop :vomit

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine