This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By stillsteamin
"John saw it 'rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy." Revelation 13:1

Alright you lot of degens, bums, dope smokers, and ne'er-do-wells.

This fucker is that beast and it just wont die. Public comment period on the draft environmental impact statement for pebble mine is live with the army corps. We're at the bottom of the funnel here, one step from permit approval which is being anticipated from a weakened EPA and the army corps... well we all know their priority is fucking shit up.

https://action.savebristolbay.org/page/ ... ssion-form

I'm sure our alaskan folks, monk, po, mark, are all active in this already but the rest of you flatlanders do something useful with your friday and submit your comments to the corps through the link, tell em to fuck off. Email your reps, tell em "not just no... hell no."

http://www.savebristolbay.org/
https://www.wearebristolbay.org/

IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG (65.18 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG (135.5 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG (65.92 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
By Ruddy Duck
Thanks for this.

I've been following savebristolbay.org for a while now and comment every opportunity.

Never been there, but it is on my bucket list to do before I die.

Some things are more important than money, but there will always be folks that lack the ability to grasp the concept.
By Redchaser
Ruddy Duck wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:27 am

Some things are more important than money, but there will always be folks that lack the ability to grasp the concept.
You'll get kicked out of the CPA club for that. Comments sent, fuck that mine.
By Ruddy Duck
Redchaser wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:40 am
Ruddy Duck wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:27 am

You'll get kicked out of the CPA club for that. Comments sent, fuck that mine.
I hate my peers a little more with each day that passes.

And I've never been a card carrying member.
By Kfoxwyo
Done and Done. Thank you for the links...Fuckers. Screw them in the words of Anthony Hopkins.
By woolly bugger
done did it and shared it too..
By fly-chucker
done and shared
By stillsteamin
If any of you want to write your reps a pointless email. The more of them that know at least one voter in their district cares about this the better. I recommend customizing, maybe adding some swears, heated ranting, perhaps suggesting someone owes your b hole a lick.

Dear xxxx,

I am writing you related to the environmental impact statement (EIS) for Pebble Mine, the open pit copper and gold mine proposed by foreign owned mining company Northern Dynasty in the Bristol Bay region of Alaska.

Bristol Bay is currently home to America’s last great salmon run. The Bristol Bay sockeye salmon fishery employs almost 15,000 American workers and generates $650 million in annual labor income. It is a model of sustainable fishery practices for the entire world. We’ve destroyed much of our country’s salmon habitat from California to Washington – but in Alaska’s Bristol Bay, salmon are thriving and setting records each year. The region produces over 50 million sockeye salmon annually and over 50% of the world’s sockeye salmon harvest. This means sustainable jobs and delicious, nutritious food for Americans at a time when such things are of increasing value. Besides commercial fishing, the Bristol Bay region employs thousands of people in its sport fishing and ecotourism industries, and supports the traditional way of life for the area’s native people.

Those things are not negligible, they are not the inconsequential fringe interests of a small minority of Americans. Sustainable fisheries, sustainable recreational employment, and connection to natural resources are the future of America. These things deserve to be considered with the utmost diligence by decision makers. They deserve an honest process.

The current EIS submitted to the Army Corps by Northern Dynasty makes a mockery of that process. An EIS is meant to be an unbiased assessment of risks related to projects that impact our country’s natural resources. They are supposed to be scientifically grounded documents that provide decision makers with quality data in order to make accurate decisions on behalf of all Americans. The Pebble Mine EIS does not fulfill these requirements. Its estimates of damages to Bristol Bay’s salmon habitat hinges on a mine size that will extract less than 10% of the copper and gold in the deposit. For Northern Dynasty to expect Americans to believe that they will invest in the infrastructure required for a mine in this remote area only to walk away from 90% of their revenue is laughable. Further, the EIS neglects to assess risks in the aggregate; it considers the impacts of a toxic waste spill separate from the impact of draining wetlands to build roads, separate from the impact of acid created by exposed sulfides leaching into groundwater. Northern Dynasty has made an effort to downplay these impacts by claiming they would each occur separately in some sort of a controlled test tube environment. In reality, they will happen together, and we need to understand what that might mean. They also put a cap on the life of the risks – 50 years. What they don’t acknowledge is that the acidic tailing ponds created by open pit mining don’t disappear after 50 years. They are permanent. Earthen dams will need to be maintained for eternity to prevent toxic chemicals from leaching into groundwater or spilling into rivers.

Why does Northern Dynasty use a 50 year timeline? Because that is the time it will take them to extract the deposits. Beyond that time the mess will become a liability to the taxpayer. These superfund sites are already spread across our country, places where Americans who never saw a benefit pay to have their lands cleaned up after private interests have taken a profit and washed their hands of all responsibility. The Animas River disaster in Colorado is only a taste of what might happen in Bristol Bay.

Mining has a place in our economy, it is a necessity – but Bristol Bay is no test tube, it is no place to take risks that have not been fully and honestly evaluated. I am asking that you do everything in your power as a representative of the people to ensure that the Army Corps of Engineers requires Northern Dynasty to give the people an honest assessment of risks involved in this project. It is not only what the Corps is required to do – but it is also the right thing to do.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Contact info
Last edited by stillsteamin on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By -G-
Thanks for making this easier with the links. I’m part of the problem and wouldn’t know how else to find who my senator/ rep is without a good spoon feeding of how to contact them.
By LA Fly Guy
-G- wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:23 pm Thanks for making this easier with the links. I’m part of the problem and wouldn’t know how else to find who my senator/ rep is without a good spoon feeding of how to contact them.
X2 on thanks for providing the links.

Man, fuck Hot Creek. I remember Carpe Tructa and B[…]

Rust Belt 2019

no $148 wings/pizza. fail. 'twas done. We j[…]

can we shut this down some more?

A Confession

^this re: what is wrong in my life that I must ge[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine