Annual salt gathering

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Mangina

Annual salt gathering

Post by Mangina » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Been some time since I've posted anything.

Had a chance to gather with some friends for a few days in the salt. Kinda sorta an annual gathering. Started off with one or two traveling welcomed by some local hospitality and has grown from that with travelers and locals alike looking forward to next year. Truly one of those deals that keeps you going knowing good times ahead.

Ive got a thought about travel for fishing- you cant control the fishing so focus on what you can control- people you are with, food, drink, location, etc. With the right people, properly embalmed with rum and Mexican beer, pretty much any fishing is a good time.

Fortunately, this year would be good conditions and some pretty memorable fishing.

The gathering usually starts with some cocktails and food off a grill. When I think of saltwater fishing I think of all the usual stuff- sand, palm trees, mangroves, etc etc etc I have found it only appropriate to make trips to the salt synonymous with rum. Buddy drug back some small batch stuff back from Belize. Its delicious
cocktails small.JPG
cocktails small.JPG (196.28 KiB) Viewed 699 times
There was three days of hanging toes off the bow looking for reds and trout. Redfishing always pretty good but seemed off a bit as a result of some high water. None the less fish were sought out, flies were thrown, and an occasional fish to hand.
at the ready small.jpg
at the ready small.jpg (138.5 KiB) Viewed 699 times
fish on small (2).jpg
fish on small (2).jpg (104.74 KiB) Viewed 699 times
red small 1 (3).JPG
red small 1 (3).JPG (122.01 KiB) Viewed 699 times
I mentioned memorable earlier. Everyone has a fish (or fishes) that make them weak in the knees. Yes yes tarpon and permit come to mind for most. For these parts, big trout make me goofy. Typically seen when bumped by the boat, they glide effortless in front of you with a confident attitude and one that says "Yup, I'm big and bad, you woke me, and I'm pissed so dont mess with me." Sure sure you throw. "Dont cost nothing". But almost always they are on to you and ignore your efforts.

When you get a chance to sneak up on them undisturbed and see that dark outline, for me it is something special and the buck fever goes through the roof. If you ever get one to eat, then its the delicate hand lining and rod held away from you ever so gingerly with the "please, please, please please dont come off" running through your head. Only time you ever take your eyes off the hooked up fish is when one of the guys on the boat makes a comment about a net or a camera and you quickly shoot them a "fuck off asshole" look. In the end, there it is. You get your hands on her and the grin takes over. High fives, hugs, and thanks to the big man for making it all so.
trout small 28 (2).jpg
trout small 28 (2).jpg (153.65 KiB) Viewed 699 times
trout small (2).jpg
trout small (2).jpg (190.57 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Then of course you gotta go back and relive it all at the local bar and talk about doing it again next year!!

Cheers fellas
ceviche small.JPG
ceviche small.JPG (170.38 KiB) Viewed 699 times

Ruddy Duck

Re: Annual salt gathering

Post by Ruddy Duck » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:50 pm

That picture makes me wish our sea trout fishery was better managed over here to the east.

What a fish!

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:23 am

those are trout I could look forward to fishing for :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:05 am

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:50 pm
That picture makes me wish our sea trout fishery was better managed over here to the east.

What a fish!

Awesome job Mangina. That's certainly a feat - sight fishing one of those guys.
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

fatman

Post by fatman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:26 am

:smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:07 am

I’m with Fatman on this one.

Dancin bananas all the way.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

Glista

Post by Glista » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Looks like a fun time my man! Have to get down that way one of these days!

TidewateR

Post by TidewateR » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:59 pm

:smile x3

well done!

IRLy

Post by IRLy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:58 pm

Looks like a great time, congrats on the stud trout.