This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By The Wandering Blues
Been a while since I got out solo. Not complaining because sharing a stretch of water with a good buddy is a fine thing indeed. But, sometimes, you need silence to hear the noise in your head. And if you’re lucky, even that noise can fade to black.

I headed up into my local hills. It’s monsoon season now and thanks to an amazing snowpack, I’m fishing well after what is usually considered prime time.

It’s a drive in, followed by a decent stretch of the legs to find a chute that will drop you into this..

It started slow with a cicada pattern from last week’s session with buddies. A quick re-tie to a Chernobyl Ant was all it took for an sweet day on the 1wt.

This water is Brown Town- cookie cutter 10” fish, with an occasional 12-15” thrown in. Occasionally, as in maybe 1 out of every 75-100 fish, you’ll get a holdover bow washed down from a lake about 7 miles up. No adipose, and a tail that looks like meth personified.

But today.... A wild, fat, healthy Bow graced me with its presence.

A 2 species day is the exception in this water. A 3 species day is uncharted territory. I’ve never seen a native Rio Cutt this low, and was shocked when this fella came up. The color is just amazing. His being in this drainage bodes well for their territory.

And a 4 species day? I couldn’t piece that together if I tried. And yet, a Rio Chub whacked a fly. Very strange, indeed.

I decided to pull the plug early. The clouds were darkening, and I figured I’d already had a near mythical morning. So, on the last pool, just to add an exclamation point to the session, this fella put a hard bend on the feather stick.

Sometimes it just works when you’re solo.
Last edited by The Wandering Blues on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Oakman
That's some pretty country.

Do you often change watches during an outing?
By The Wandering Blues
Oakman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:44 pm That's some pretty country.

Do you often change watches during an outing?
Shit, wrong bow pic! I file them by species. I’ll have it fixed momentarily.
By fatman
still in Nuevo Me-he-co? thought y'all were headed back west

strong work
By Transylwader
Stellar.
I need a riobro cuttbray to seal the deal on all western Clarkii.
Good shit Barbrady!
By The Wandering Blues
fatman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 pm still in Nuevo Me-he-co? thought y'all were headed back west

strong work
Should know in the next day what that looks like. Insurance will either total the trailer, or they’ll be shipping it back to Ohio for a frame up restoration, and that’ll be at least January before we’d see it.

On the bright side, BigGuy is coming up for a visit on the Juan this weekend. Beers will be drunk, fish will be caught, and lies will be told.
By Ruddy Duck
The Wandering Blues wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 am Insurance will either total the trailer, or they’ll be shipping it back to Ohio for a frame up restoration, and that’ll be at least January before we’d see it.
Lowsyanna is like an STD that keeps on giving.
By fly-chucker
most excellent :cool
By Obie
Pretty, native fish- thanks for taking the time!
By Redchaser
Mighty fine Curtis

My point was simply this is an important stream,[…]

Kevin, as always it was great to see you and have […]

Rust Belt 2019

He did....with my camera!! And my fish :gun

Winter steelhead fly swap 2019

when do i get my goddamn flies. is what im wonderi[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine